Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Four ball.

• 02-12-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

So I won a prize in a raffle yesterday. Described as four ball at Luttrellstown golf club. I have never played and know next to nothing about the game.
    Can someone enlighten me as to what I have won? Can I bring others or would it just be for me?
    Some brief googling suggests a format of play, but I am not clear how that’d apply to a voucher.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

It means you have a voucher for 4 people to play a round of golf there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

That's an awful prize. I'll take it from and out of the goodness of my heart won't even charge you for the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

JIdontknow wrote: »
    It means you have a voucher for 4 people to play a round of golf there.

Likely to include equipment? Any idea how much it would be to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Likely to include equipment? Any idea how much it would be to rent?

Nope, won't include equipment. I'm not sure how much to rent, maybe about €25 per person. But to be honest I'm not sure I'd advise 4 people who don't may golf to rent equipment and go for it. I don't think you'd enjoy it too be honest, you'd be hacking around the course and probably annoying the members through no fault of yours other than the fact that you're not golfers, but you'd feel the eyes in you.

Golf is hard to take up and if someone wanted to take it up I'd recommend taking a lesson or two in the range so that you could swing the club properly when you hit the course. And I'd suggest hitting the course with an experienced golfer. I'd worry that someone would be put off the game by just heading out like that and having a miserable experience, whereas if they put a little effort in they could get the bug and have a sport for life.

The voucher would be a fantastic Christmas present for someone who plays golf (probably worth about €120. If you just look up the price for playing on a Saturday a lot more, but generally people play courses with online deals, vouchers, open comps, etc which are all cheaper). Alternatively, if you're interested in the game you could get yourself a cheap set of clubs, a couple of lessons, play a few rounds and have a round in luttrelstown to be a bit of a target for the end of he summer. I haven't played it, but I hear it's a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Luttrelstown is an amazing golf course but if you have never played it might not be the best place to start.
    The cheapest greenfee you'll get for there is 35 euro, thats per head so minimum worth of your 4ball (140 euro)

Your options are

A: Sell it
    B: Gift it
    C: Go there and try the game out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cracking course, around the corner from me so would happily join OP for a game there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Thanks for all the replies, especially blue note for the very detailed response which makes a lot of sense.
    Given I also have back problems I think I will go the route of selling it on at a significant discount. And happy to meet people there to ensure they can use it in my stead. Suspect forums rules here will prohibit selling it here, so will confirm that and then list it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks for all the replies, especially blue note for the very detailed response which makes a lot of sense.
    Given I also have back problems I think I will go the route of selling it on at a significant discount. And happy to meet people there to ensure they can use it in my stead. Suspect forums rules here will prohibit selling it here, so will confirm that and then list it somewhere.

here you go
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471100

Advertisement