Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2019 EDITION

• 30-11-2019 1:02am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2019 EDITION
    Hey Everyone,

Every Christmas, we get dozens of new threads, all asking for advice on buying an Xbox One. To stop all those threads from clogging up the main forum, we start the "I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2019 EDITION" thread, a place to combine all the various threads into one place. We had some amazing posters on the forum helping out people with no clue about consoles in the past, and hopefully we'll get the same this year.

Hopefully people coming into the forum will see this thread and ask their questions here, but if not, the way we'll deal with it is:
    • Newbie posts new thread
    • Xbox Sages on the Xbox Forum answer the questions in that thread
    • After a couple of days, the thread is merged into this one

Normally, I'd just direct people to the various Megathreads, but they can be pretty intimidating for people who are new to all this, so this is how we'll deal with it over Christmas.

To everyone coming here for the first time, welcome! We hope that everyone here can help you. As a starting point, have a quick read of our FAQ, your question might already be answered there. It needs to be updated for stuff like the Elite Controller, the Xbox One S, and 4K Televisions, but it's still a good place to start out.

In general, if you're looking for the cheapest deal going, you should be able to get an Xbox One pretty cheap, but there are also great deals on the Xbox One S, which is smaller, and has support for 4K.

Here's the most important question from the FAQ, as it's by far the biggest potential problem on opening the Xbox on Christmas day:

I’ve bought an Xbox One for my child as a Christmas present, do I need to do anything pre-Christmas?
    In order to have the smoothest Christmas morning, yes, you do. Connect the Xbox to your TV, and to your internet, and then turn it on. It will download and install the latest update, which can take some time depending on your internet connection. Once that’s complete, you should then install any games that you bought with it. In some Xbox One bundles, the game comes as a code that allows you to download the game.

Some games are up to 50 or 60 GBs in size, which can mean a very long download time on slow broadband. If you have slow broadband, you might be better off bringing it around to a friends house with better broadband.

Important caveat to the above: Some trials may come in the box, namely Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass. As these are time limited, don't apply these codes until the big day, so you'll get more use out of them.

Another thing to note is that even the controllers will sometime need an update.
    Here's a quick guide to kicking that off:
    1. Go to Settings.
    2. Select Devices & accessories.
    3. Select the controller you want to update.
    4. Select Update, and then select Continue.

CatInABox

Advertisement