Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Probably not considering the low value but in a higher value claim, it would be interesting to know how liability would be assessed

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It looks like the driver entered the lane without looking for or seeing the oncoming traffic. When they did see the oncoming traffic, they stopped their vehicle leaving it inevitable that the oncoming traffic had no option but to hit the anchors. Unfortunately when on a bike and having to brake suddenly, one can be thrown from the bike. There would be no doubt as to who is responsible for the incident.

However, if there was a large sum of money at stake, I've no doubt that the insurance company would try and point to the cyclist as being partly liable for travelling too fast to stop, etc in the same way they'd use any lack of high-viz etc or non-helmet use as reasons to keep a payout amount down

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague got 13k after he hit his head off a different car while avoiding a collision with the woman who caused it. he never made contact with the car of the woman who caused the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

@Seth Brundle Re: the helmet. No. I didn’t land on my head. My side took the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭standardg60

Great example of how the natural split-second fear kicks in and you flip the bike.

Driver will be easily traceable given you've spoken and have the reg, but yes you will need the guards.

Hope you're recovering ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

True, as is the other poster who replied. 500 quid will probably work out okay if it doesn't escalate. Hopefully the poster is recovering and gets sorted out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I had the exact same happen to me a few years back. T-boned by a driver turning across traffic to Appian Way just before Leeson St. Thankfully I didn't need to involve insurers - no physical injuries other than bit of bruising, but wheelset and drive train needed replacing. Ended up being €1,000 and I think driver (newly qualified) was just happy not to have to get insurers involved as he'd have been screwed for years after that. It helped that there were other cyclists stopped at the lights to rebut any suggestion that he had right of way/ green lights (his green filter for turning right wasn't on, just green for main traffic continuing straight in both directions). But I imagine it could easily get messy if (a) you've no camera evidence/ witnesses or (b) the driver is an a$$hat.

Hope it's resolved quickly for you and no lasting niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you haven't been formally checked out by a medical professional and are not currently holding (a) receipt to prove assessment and (b) the diagnosis/assessment, then please get both as quickly as possible or a case will be much more difficult to pursue down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He mentioned he worked in the medical field so probably has easier access to things like that than most.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How long is too long to report a near miss?

Have video from two back in Sept but not yet reported, is this likely to cause an issue if I reported them now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Bloody idiot left-hooked me this afternoon, along the Grand Canal at Harold's Cross.

Even before he got clear of me he slowed down to turn left into a private site.

Most annoying thing was he was a Deliveroo eejit on an ebike. Anyway, I hope my simple Christmas greeting was not misunderstood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seen a right hook yesterday, was on Johnstown road, at the lights were a right turn takes you to Bakers corner. Range Rover came up the left turn lane at about 60kmph and then right hooked the car at the top (who had a red light) and thankfully I seen it coming as I was moving through the junction (with a green) and stopped dead. Missed the front of my car by 3 inches. No one even flinched or cared. F*CK driving in Dublin, what a sh1thole of a place to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I always found Cork terrible, for years, Dublin at least has sparks of humanity on the roads. Galway always struck me as just ignorance rather than aggression but it's been a long time. Limerick I've always found pleasant. My own local town is great, incidents are rare and can be as little as two a month. One is always a young lad with no sense and the other a lack of spatial awareness, never seems to be intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Driver coming against me had to pull out around some eejit who had stopped on the corner of a junction to pick someone up. However, he then didn't pull back in onto his own side of the road and continued to drive toward me until I gave a shout.

It was then I realised I'm going to have to rein in the "**** hell"s while on the creche run.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

I think it's the Xmas rush, gone nuts out there, dropping the wife to work (in the car) and had a truck and a car pull out of side roads on top of me. Managed to brake for the truck and swerve for the car. Everyone is in a hurry. Was thinking of cycling to Tara tmw, but not sure I will now.

My son has decided that he wishes to start saving for his future and the most prudent way to do this is the production of a swear jar to filter money from me to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

This incident with a Go Ahead bus (45A route) happened in Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, last February. I reported it to them at the time but they didn't want to know. As it qualified as probably the worst experience (of many) I have ever had on a bike I also reported it to AGS. I have always had the utmost of support and professionalism from them with how they have dealt with my complaints up to now but this time 7 or 8 messages and 2 hand written, hand delivered letters later and still no reply from the person supposedly investigating this I have decided to publish the videos here.

The front camera, centrally mounted, shows the shadow of the bus approaching from behind and also my shadow shows my frantic signalling requesting the driver to back off. The rear video clearly shows that rather than back off as requested, the driver actually drove his bus at me instead. Luckily I had taken the lane so I had some leeway, which I was forced to use in what was undoubtedly a very hairy incident.

The footage clearly shows that the bus left its terminus, so there had clearly been no history between us. and then, rather than yield before joining the main road, decided the ROTR didn't apply to him and he was entitled to drive his multi tonne bus at the bicycle in front of him instead. What makes it even more insulting wad that I was wearing a 'Stayin' Alive at 1.5' gilet with a photo of a camera and the words 'Recording My Journey' on my back!

There is strong language which I took ownership for in my statement and was prepared to back up in court. But it never got that far ...

It's at moments like this I wish I did more social media:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Drivers don't hear swearing, but they take incredible offence at various hand gestures they serve for being cretins.

Nearly hit me so you can run a red light, not a problem. Me sticking my finger up is a crime against humanity though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I really don't get the driver's logic here. Could he not have waited 10 seconds and all would have been good?

Seems like you met a driver with a chip on their shoulder about cyclists, and probably all other roads users. There's more of them out there then we may like to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'm glad it's not just me then! Totally moronic and dangerous driving and for what? But you're right, they live among us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Ugh first day back and I was cutup this morning by a bus passing and immediately pulling into a stop, the van following was having none of me passing before him so I had to go on the brakes or risk being sandwiched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Forgot to post this yesterday, but I saw a car almost get left hooked and then some pedestrians nearly taken out.

Weird situation, obviously the done thing at this junction (https://maps.app.goo.gl/17vEabkZSoU3QDEB6 - I'm not familiar with the area), but the left/straight lane queues and there's a short right lane. A little bit before the lights there's a left turn. All pretty residential.

A "steady stream" of vehicles overtake the queue to turn right (straddling the centre líne causing oncoming traffic to keep very left, but one hero cuts across the queue just as it has started to move, in that "make an orange/red light" kind of progress.

The car in front did well to spot the clown and braked immediately, and the pedestrians crossing did well to run the last few steps to finish crossing!

I was just about to cross but stood there gawking at the clown. Exchanged a :shrug: with the ashen faced driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nearly came a cropper yesterday evening as a car went through a yield sign just as I was passing by. The car slammed on the brakes after she finally saw me at the last second. Audible gasps from 2 old dears who were waiting to cross showed me how close it was.

It was dark but I have 2 front lights flashing and a reflect360 cycling jacket so hard to believe that she didn't see me as the nature of the junction is that I was approaching her (she was coming from a road on my right) and I was in the middle of the road as I was turning right at an almost immediate subsequent junction.

My guess is she looked and saw the lights of a car which was 30m behind me and assumed I was on the kerb so she could go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah 2023. It's been an eventful start. Near empty roads have lead to lots of close passing by speeding motorists who are enjoying the opportunity to drive in a relatively car free Dublin until the mayhem resumes next week. Had a taxi driver telling me I shouldn't be on the road yesterday and I should be in the cycle lane - I was turning right and had to leave a cycle lane that went straight on only and in any case was stopped at a red. This morning, it was the turn of a motorists who decided to drive up a narrow one way street this morning, running me off the road in the process.

You'd think someone driving up a one way street would take it handy, lest they come across an oncoming car. But sure if it's someone on a bike, just blast on past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It was definetly a day of anger out there this morning.

Two incidents:

1) A cyclist hit my shoulder quiet hard this morning when on the footpath walking the dog, they continue to shout abuse at me to leave space for them on a narrow footpath. What is worst, there is a protected cycle lane beside the path on the road and 20 meters later they jumped into the lane!!!!!

2) Was in the car and was turning left but saw a cyclist, so slowed down to let them go by as too close for me to turn, car behind over takes me and cuts in and takes the turn cutting the cyclists off. Cyclist got a massive shock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Both pure ignorant gits. Hope your shoulder is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Was cycling back from football with the young lad this morning. He's 8 and I'm trying to build up his confidence on the road when it's usually quiet. Needed to make a right turn to head up to the house, so I've been talking him through these - giving him notice what we're going to do etc., and he's been great at it. Anyway, this morning, coming up to the turn, there was a driver gunning to pass (despite something coming the other way) so I thought feck it let him go, and he did, fair enough. Looked over the shoulder again (was on the right of the lane at this stage with the young lad inside me), and there was another car behind but hanging back as the oncoming car was just passing, so I signalled that I was going to go right. Thanks be to Jaysus I looked over the shoulder again, cause the bellend behind had gone regardless - regardless of road positioning, the fact a child was involved, signalling, the lot. He had some choice words thrown in his wake which thankfully the wind prevented small ears from making out

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

A lovely kamikaze commuter this morning

https://streamable.com/in8br8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

What an adiot.....she probably does that everyday and never previously encountered another cyclist.

Hope you had words with her

Advertisement