Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign police carrying weapons in Ireland

Options
  • 25-11-2019 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Another thread got me thinking about this. What is the statutory basis for allowing foreign police / secret service carry firearms in Ireland and presumably use deadly force if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Another thread got me thinking about this. What is the statutory basis for allowing foreign police / secret service carry firearms in Ireland and presumably use deadly force if needed.

1. The Minister for Justice can issue permits for the carrying of firearms to pretty much anyone.
    2. If the personnel have diplomatic immunity, they can do what they like. This is, of course, subject to the sending country's government being happy with their behaviour and the Irish government not declining to renew their diplomatic privileges an/or not making them persona non grata.

Use of force is dependent on the usual rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Which is the other thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Victor wrote: »
    1. The Minister for Justice can issue permits for the carrying of firearms to pretty much anyone.
    2. If the personnel have diplomatic immunity, they can do what they like. This is, of course, subject to the sending country's government being happy with their behaviour and the Irish government not declining to renew their diplomatic privileges an/or not making them persona non grata.

Use of force is dependent on the usual rules.

Can you tell me what is the statute that gives the Minister such powers? Is this based on international agreements?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can you tell me what is the statute that gives the Minister such powers? Is this based on international agreements?

Firearms (Firearm Certificates For Non-Residents) Act, 2000

Advertisement