Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rás is back sort of...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

eeeee wrote: »
    I can't imagine a worse fuelling strategy for a stage race! Anytime I've done one a decent bed and food are essential. It's just torture otherwise!

Not talking ideal world, just getting by. Three of us did Gorey a couple of years ago without any support or following car, if anything happened and we couldn't have continued then it would just have to be dealt with.

Gorey is 3 days instead of 5 and not the RAS but we would have been lower end in the race and each stage took its toll. Cleaning and sorting bikes for the TT is a pain but it was still possible to work around it and get decent rest.

I am assuming that RAS stage end/start are in the same place and that this place is a town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As above, considering for 95% of the riders, this will be the most intense race of their career, and then they do it four more times. Changing diet so severely will mean you would be lucky to make it to day 3. A friend in car, 5 x €50, wouldn't even cover petrol for the 5 days. No way you could move all the gear you have. It is a nice idea but it is logistically impossible. Your accommodation as well, if not booked early, minimum €200 a night for the team but could be alot more. Food can be pre prepped but you then have to transport it, unless you want to risk dodgy stomachs, then you are sending a car ahead to drop off freezer/food. So your sending someone ahead to either drop off food or your cooking yourself that night. It all adds up.

Best advice I can think of is to sign upto a tough 4 day race like Ras Mumhan, the transport logistics will only be a fraction of what they are in the Ras, and see how it works. The stages are only 50km from a central base in Kilorglin, you stay there, that is 50km transport to the start every morning (5 bikes, 5 riders, 2 spare bikes, minimum 4 wheels, food, water, getting someone up the road to hand over food/water at the feed zones. If you base yourselves in each town, that is transporting everyone and equipment for an hour every evening.

Now imagine the Ras is going to be one day more, no where near as centralised, so 150km per day between hotels/houses, if you can get decent ones.

There are ways to save money, food and transport are not it though.

I will admit all my knowledge is based on other riders, not done it myself but hoping to help out my team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Taking in entries, etc., 5 riders plus a manager, mechanic and soigneur will cost approx €1000 to €1200 per day. So €6000 should cover the team if they don't need to pay hugely to travel to the race start.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭royrogers

Any idea when the route will be out, must be soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Might be a bit far fetched but GCN are showing a bit of Mickey mouse race in france over internet streaming. Could the ras organisers not get the race streamed for coverage. They had cameras at the race before

Wonder will this go ahead now in June or possibly later in the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

royrogers wrote: »

Cant see it going ahead in June. Other events for June already cancelled. Maybe later in the year as the usual issue of lack of accommodation and higher pricing during the main tourist season most likely wont be a factor this year. Hotels will be glad of the income.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

royrogers wrote: »

We just don't know now.
    Out of the organisers hands and depends on how Mr Corona behaves.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

RobFowl wrote: »
    We just don't know now.
    Out of the organisers hands and depends on how Mr Corona behaves.....

The behaviour of whom depends entirely on how WE behave! :pac:

Hopefully we'll see the Ras back up and running this year, any word on it? Its down on the calendar but very little else to be found on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭wav1

Lots of news very soon..as per a popular advert on TV last year..He's coming 👍

Advertisement