Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Debate! Who do you think won tonight's debate? - 19/November/2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

LMAO

That Christmas present question

Corbyn - leaves Johnson 'A christmas Carol' - poignant

Johnson - leaves Corbyn - his BREXIT DEAL

:pac:

CORBYN WIN - without a doubt - voting now on the POLL

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That was shockingly bad reflection on the state of the media in the UK. Ends up in lols. Pathetic.

Corbyn came across as the more serious politician across all the issues to be honest. But with a media like that I can see Johnson sailing home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Clearly the debate was made for an ITV audience rather than a BBC audience.

I enjoyed it. Nothing learned of course but quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭septictank

Win for Corbyn, Johnson can't relate to the man/women in the street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I found Corbyn a bit robotic and unsure at the start, but he built up well.

Johnson came out at the end like a wet trout.

Damson jam me arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Conservative party twitter rebranded itself to fact check UK for the night. This happened right at the start of the debate. Why didn't they ask Johnson about it?

That was an awful debate. no light shone on anything that hasn't been repeated ad nausea. Especially by Johnson

It was a terrible debate, but forced by the format.
    Corbyn must have been cringing.

I thought the presenter done her job very well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I voted neither, Corbyn had ample opportunity to skewer BoJo for his dishonesty and his history of policy wobbles in his ministerial and short time PM roles.

ITV and the approach to this debate were bloody awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Corbyn by an absolute landslide.

Rational intelligent debate v bluff and bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Corbyn probably won it because he put better effort in, had some genuinely sharp and witty responses and the rest had depth.

He performed better than expected so that is a win. He did well enough.

Johnson fluffed it.

Like I said I do not want Labour to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought Corbyn got the better of it. He came across as the more human candidate such as when he referenced his friend that passed away, and stressing the importance of empathy for Epstein's victims. Some good one-liners too such as the Christmas gift topic answer, and probably the line of the night in response to Johnson's warning of chaotic coalitions - "We've had nine years of chaotic coalitions."

Johnson looked uncomfortable at times and seemed to try to mask this by morphing into his 'Boris' character with the usual bravado. He did however get his main point across all night on Brexit which is that he has a clearly defined position and Corbyn does not, which I think is Corbyn's big weakness and perhaps will prove the fatal flaw.

Overall, a win for Corbyn but I'm not sure it will change any minds or make much of a difference. I think if voters were pro-Johnson before this they will remain so after it, and those who were pro-Corbyn will remain that way inclined too.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some below standard posts deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Gove is saying on the BBC News Channel there was not one person capable of being PM tonight apart from Johnson. Good grief.

Also I voted Corbyn in the debate poll in this thread. He had a nervy start at the beginning but he had improved his composure throughout the debate.

Johnson was a constant deflector throughout all of it. He was like a script with his answers.

The ITV debate was quite rushed with it's length of just an hour. There is going to be another 2 hour debate from ITV in about 10 days time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Corbyn won by a mile. Anyone who didn't see that needs to take their Tory-tinted glasses off. More sincere, more serious, more policy-focused, less waffle. The tight time constraints and over-zealous moderation didn't suit Johnson's style at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Best blow of the night was corbyn getting in with recognition of the victims on the andrew question. Big respect from whole audience for that and nothing Johnson could do to counter. Corbyn won easily even if overall a damp squib. Get brexit done sounded so flat and tired by the end i think even johnsons biggest fans werent applauding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Thought Corbyn got the better of it. He came across as the more human candidate such as when he referenced his friend that passed away, and stressing the importance of empathy for Epstein's victims. Some good one-liners too such as the Christmas gift topic answer, and probably the line of the night in response to Johnson's warning of chaotic coalitions - "We've had nine years of chaotic coalitions."

Johnson looked uncomfortable at times and seemed to try to mask this by morphing into his 'Boris' character with the usual bravado. He did however get his main point across all night on Brexit which is that he has a clearly defined position and Corbyn does not, which I think is Corbyn's big weakness and perhaps will prove the fatal flaw.

Overall, a win for Corbyn but I'm not sure it will change any minds or make much of a difference. I think if voters were pro-Johnson before this they will remain so after it, and those who were pro-Corbyn will remain that way inclined too.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Best blow of the night was corbyn getting in with recognition of the victims on the andrew question. Big respect from whole audience for that and nothing Johnson could do to counter. Corbyn won easily even if overall a damp squib. Get brexit done sounded so flat and tired by the end i think even johnsons biggest fans werent applauding it.

Bringing every question back to Brexit was a bad move for Johnson. There were questions specifically on that topic where he could make those points. He failed to answer the rest because he kept going back to Brexit. It gets tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And Corbyn ignoring questions on his Brexit position, negotiation stance, and anti-Semitism?

He answered all of those.

Unlike Boris who literally answered nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Horrible format for a debate.

Corbyn landed the cleaner punches.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Bringing every question back to Brexit was a bad move for Johnson. There were questions specifically on that topic where he could make those points. He failed to answer the rest because he kept going back to Brexit. It gets tiresome.

Yeah. I mean i can see why its an effective enough strategy, but he just basically kicked it to death tonight. People were audibly groaning and even laughing at him and not in a good way. Can we take another 3 weeks of that?

• Advertisement

An Opinion Poll in a few days will demonstrate what effect this has
    -if any

my feeling is Johnson is hoping that a majority missed this debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

He answered all of those.

Unlike Boris who literally answered nothing.

I think he could have explained the position on his referendum a bit better but apart from that agree with you. That was the only point Johnson succeeded in making tonight.

Corbyn could have pushed more on the NHS and the sea border. Those were his main points for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

YouGov calling it a deadheat. I am shocked!*

*I am not shocked.

Some silly questions from the audience.

Trust.

I really don't think trust is important in politics. The electorate never trusts the politician, but they vote on policy and then hold the politicians to account on the next election.

Trust does not come into the equation.

YouGov calling it a deadheat. I am shocked!*

*I am not shocked.

Well considering that the polls had the Torys with a 10-14% lead - Il take that with both arms

In terms of stopping brexit, a draw is a win for our side!

and WELL DONE JEREMY! :D

liamtech wrote: »
    Well considering that the polls had the Torys with a 10-14% lead - Il take that with both arms

In terms of stopping brexit, a draw is a win for our side!

and WELL DONE JEREMY! :D

It doesn't concern you that Jeremy Corbyn didn't win, then?

Only that he "didn't lose"?

Quite a bizarre reason to celebrate, I would have thought.

It doesn't concern you that Jeremy Corbyn didn't win, then?

Only that he "didn't lose"?

Quite a bizarre reason to celebrate, I would have thought.

Denying the Torys a win - is a win - for remain - dare i say it for reasonable Non-Right/Hard-Right politics

So yes - i am celebrating Eskimo

sorry to disappoint you

liamtech wrote: »
    Denying the Torys a win - is a win - for remain - dare i say it for reasonable Non-Right/Hard-Right politics

So yes - i am celebrating Eskimo

sorry to disappoint you

But that wasn't your claim during the debate.

It was "quite obvious" that Corbyn "dominated" the debate.

Now you're willing to accept a dead-heat as a success?

Really?

You gov poll saying Johnson won 51-49 according to sky. Well, thats one you gov poll we can definitely take with a silo of salt anyway.

• Advertisement

But that wasn't your claim during the debate.

It was "quite obvious" that Corbyn "dominated" the debate.

Now you're willing to accept a dead-heat as a success?

Really?

I do believe that Johnson lost that - thats what i believe. I seem to remember that you are quite keen on the idea of arguing against the majority position? or am i mistaking you for someone else?

and yes - Labour may have little chance of a majority

But Eskimo, do you know what that means?

In a Hung parliament, Your Boy will Have Lost - its his to lose. Tonight he lost - and i hope on december 12th we are all here watching as he loses again -

I do not favor brexit, and anything that could prevent it is of benefit. i have been highly critical of Corbyn's fence sitting in the past

But if it hurts brexit/Boris - its good in my book

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement