Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever Get The Feeling Film Trailers Are All The Same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on.. a trailer made by a Disney Company is similar to a trailer made by a Disney Company?

Shocked I am! :D

but in answer to the question.. are all trailers the same..

Good LOL No!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SKITLZ

What really grinds my gears is when the trailer is like 90+ seconds long, you can see 80% of the plot and then they also throw a bunch of spoilers into it.

Disney have made 3 traliers of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, each is at at least 120 seconds long and with different content. I've watched 6 minutes of the movie already. I just couldn't resist to watch the trailer of my favorite franchise.

Can't trailers be like within 60 seconds long?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, I've avoided the trailers after the spoiler in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Let it go man

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rtron wrote: »
    Let it go man
    That's cold, so cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

What I really don't understand is how effective Hollywood studios are in ruining a movie with a 2.5 minute trailer before a movie.

Even films I wouldn't have any inclination to go and see are ruined completely by the trailer, I don't watch trailers online but go to the cinema a lot and sometimes encounter them.

What happened to less is more? Is that way of thinking "the more I show the average cinema goer in a trailer the more likely they are assured it's a decent movie to go and see?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"In a world gone mad..."

Seriously, you should have been around in the 80's. Nearly every trailer was even voiced by the same guy for god's sake. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tony EH wrote: »
    "In a world gone mad..."

Seriously, you should have been around in the 80's. Nearly every trailer was even voiced by the same guy for god's sake. :pac:

"No... I like it here".

The adverts on radios for movies is even more bizarre. A bit like trying to advertise a scent on television. It really can't be done.

You end up getting some sort of out of context "action" quote e.g. Big Short had "let's go" type phrases to make it sound like an Ocean's 11 heist movie.
    Any middle age rom-com advert takes the lead character saying something funny followed by over the top guffawing. See its a comedy .... they laugh you laugh... spend money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

A lot of trailers now seem to be mini-synopsis of the movie, it's incredibly irritating and I try avoid any trailers or even 'teasers' for movies I want to see for that reason.

I have to say though, most recently, the trailer for 'Joker' was an example of how to do it right. Compelling, captivating, whilst giving pretty much nothing away about the narrative of the movie.

Worst in recent memory was Terminator Genisys. They actually had a major spoiler in the ****ing trailer, literally akin to Darth Vader saying "No, I am your father" in a trailer for Empire Strikes Back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement