Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E scooters and space cadets

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cars are regulated. Electric scooters and the “people” who use them are not.
    At the moment they are illegal and should not be on a road or footpath. They are leaving themselves open to been arrested or worse.
    My child was hit by one of these clowns but I better say no more, eh mods?

I can see where you’re coming from, and you’re welcome say what you want about the dangers of them or them.

But you’re not welcome to advocating assaulting people, or discussing moderation in threads — I’m sorry, but you’re not even allowed to be hinting at these.

Btw: it should not matter: you might have the wrong end of the stick here: my personal view is that I’m not fond of e scooters. But here while moderating, I’m enforcing the rules here.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST OR ANY OTHER MOD NOTE.
    — moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

i don't think it's a matter of 'agreeing' per se - it *is* an offence whether i agree or not, if you follow me.

don't leave it to me to guess what you're hinting at, as i am assuming you mean physical violence, but i also assume you wouldn't be that idiotic.

Ok. So you accept they are then? A simple yes or no will do.
    I may or may not be that idiotic. But I’m certainly not idiotic enough to use these things illegally. Are you?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect you're reading something in my posts which is clearly not there, so i'll leave this one be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

railer201 wrote: »
    Just an opinion but I can't see how our roads are up to spec. which allows for the small diameter wheels of E-scooters. I regularly see potholes, missing shore covers, raised manhole covers, ridges due to subsidence - all of which are capable of sending these mini-wheeled vehicles and their pilots head over heels. That's apart from balance issues - quite a few wobbly E-scooterists out there !

Hundreds if not thousands of daily users and this hasn't emerged as an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ok. So you accept they are then? A simple yes or no will do.
    I may or may not be that idiotic. But I’m certainly not idiotic enough to use these things illegally. Are you?

Pretty sure assaulting people is also illegal if that's what you were getting at.

• Advertisement

i suspect you're reading something in my posts which is clearly not there, so i'll leave this one be.

You suspect wrong. You are unable or unwilling to answer simple questions so you are probably right to leave it.

Stark wrote: »
    Pretty sure assaulting people is also illegal if that's what you were getting at.

Yes you are right it is illegal, well done you. I’ll live with the consequences of whatever I do in life but thanks for your concern.

Hundreds if not thousands of daily users and this hasn't emerged as an issue

They are either banned or heavily regulated in 4 European countries and at least 3 US states. So to say there are no issues is nonsense.
    Also did you not see the issue I’ve personally had with them(posted previously).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Being illegal or legal doesnt not prevent them from running into a child or another person by the way. The legality of them doesnt drive behaviour. Moronic "drivers (eg: motorists, scooterists, cyclists) are the reason accidents and issues happen. Yes, the roads do cause issues, but, common sense prevents this. I use an eScooter, and I seem muppets on them all the time, same as any other vehicle. I stop at the lights, get passed out by scooters/bicycles. Ive said this before in other threads, but a basic competency test should be required for anybody that wishes to use a road. And I mean that as blanket statement for everyone, (cyclists, scooters, horseriders, etc).

They are either banned or heavily regulated in 4 European countries and at least 3 US states. So to say there are no issues is nonsense.
    Also did you not see the issue I’ve personally had with them(posted previously).

I wasn't replying to you or your posts. I was responding directly to the point another user made about road surface

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Some lad rode past me here the other day while I was in slow traffic.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3924587,-6.2411799,3a,75y,185.43h,89.91t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2uqD6q7Jxih3g6TCZ2f86Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D2uqD6q7Jxih3g6TCZ2f86Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D143.39642%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

It's quite narrow, I would wager that i's rather dangerous and doesn't meet the criteria for motorway driving.

EDIT: just noted that section is a R road, not an M one and there are no motorway rules when you enter from Coolock

antodeco wrote: »
    Ive said this before in other threads, but a basic competency test should be required for anybody that wishes to use a road. And I mean that as blanket statement for everyone, (cyclists, scooters, horseriders, etc).

Only one section of the group is killing hundreds of people a year. You may as well call for a competency test to use a flight of stairs.

Only one section of the group is killing hundreds of people a year. You may as well call for a competency test to use a flight of stairs.

Pure whataboutery at it’s finest. Look over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

There is absolutely no need for any kind of "basic competency test" to use the roads. Everybody knows what to do. People just choose not to do it.

And fundamentally, safety is impaired by drivers in cars. Less cars + more scooters = safer streets.

donvito99 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no need for any kind of "basic competency test" to use the roads. Everybody knows what to do. People just choose not to do it.

And fundamentally, safety is impaired by drivers in cars. Less cars + more scooters = safer streets.

Your first point is nonsense. It really is.
    I agree completely with your second point. I’m all for less cars on our streets. It’s a noble goal, however, it needs to be done right. Infrastructure, regulations, enforcement of law(when legislated for) etc etc.....
    Handing some clown who has no experience of the road an e scooter and told to work away is not very bright, IMO.

I agree completely with your second point. I’m all for less cars on our streets. It’s a noble goal, however, it needs to be done right. Infrastructure, regulations, enforcement of law(when legislated for) etc etc.....
    Handing some clown who has no experience of the road an e scooter and told to work away is not very bright, IMO.

What really do you need to tell him?

Drive on left? He knows this, just doesn't do it.

Stop at red light? Again, small children know this, the most malignant drivers/scootists/cyclists refuse to stop.

Drivers have to sit actual tests and they still manage to pelt it through red lights, occupy yellow boxes, cripple bus lanes and reduce footpaths to rubble via illegal parking. Why do you expect people on scooters to be any different is they are given a "basic competency test".

It's nanny state crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's quite simple. there's no enforcement on the roads, for any sort of road user. proposing new regulations is all well and good, but the first step is enforcement of the existing regs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Pure whataboutery at it’s finest. Look over there.

Whataboutery is a supporter of one paramilitary when confronted with the wrongs they did deflecting and saying what about the other paramilitary or what about the police or army etc.

Whataboutery might also be somebody giving out about scooter users killing children and somebody else saying what about motorists.

Whataboutery is not saying that there's relatively little danger posed by people walking, cycling and on scooters, so, they don't need a competency test. You might argue the point that they are wrong, but it's not whataboutery in any real sense of the phrase.

The M50 every morning does not support your argument that if people receive some sort of education or training that they will abide by whatever is supposedly instilled in them.

Or indeed every roundabout in Ireland.

Or every yellow box. And every solid white line.

What really do you need to tell him?

Drive on left? He knows this, just doesn't do it.

Stop at red light? Again, small children know this, the most malignant drivers/scootists/cyclists refuse to stop.

Drivers have to sit actual tests and they still manage to pelt it through red lights, occupy yellow boxes, cripple bus lanes and reduce footpaths to rubble via illegal parking. Why do you expect people on scooters to be any different is they are given a "basic competency test".

It's nanny state crap.
    You know what assumption is the mother of, don’t ya?

• Advertisement

it's quite simple. there's no enforcement on the roads, for any sort of road user. proposing new regulations is all well and good, but the first step is enforcement of the existing regs.

True. But no point in adding another problem now is there...

monument wrote: »
    Whataboutery is a supporter of one paramilitary when confronted with the wrongs they did deflecting and saying what about the other paramilitary or what about the police or army etc.

Whataboutery might also be somebody giving out about scooter users killing children and somebody else saying what about motorists.

Whataboutery is not saying that there's relatively little danger posed by people walking, cycling and on scooters, so, they don't need a competency test. You might argue the point that they are wrong, but it's not whataboutery in any real sense of the phrase.

It most certainly is whataboutery.
    Someone bringing up the dangers of one form of transport is countered by the fact the that another is more dangerous. It might be true but it doesn’t make the initial point wrong. It’s deflection.
    Edit: on second reading of you post I get what you are saying with regards your last point. Fair enough.
    But I stand by my thoughts above.

The M50 every morning does not support your argument that if people receive some sort of education or training that they will abide by whatever is supposedly instilled in them.

Or indeed every roundabout in Ireland.

Or every yellow box. And every solid white line.

Sorry, by your logic as soon as some turns 17 they should be handed the keys of a car and told to work away. No point training them as they’ll probably crash anyway.
    Sorry I don’t accept that. Like I said, its nonsense. IMO.

Sorry, by your logic as soon as some turns 17 they should be handed the keys of a car and told to work away. No point training them as they’ll probably crash anyway.
    Sorry I don’t accept that. Like I said, its nonsense. IMO.

Are u reading any of these posts?

You are advocating mandatory lessons for people on scooters to rein in their behaviour. That's obviously a silly idea as it doesn't even work for motorists.

Nanny state

Are u reading any of these posts?

You are advocating mandatory lessons for people on scooters to rein in their behaviour. That's obviously a silly idea as it doesn't even work for motorists.

Nanny state

Yes I am reading them. Are you reading mine?
    Of course it works for motorists. As bad as people’s behavior may or may not be now imagine what it would be like in a free for all situation.

If they continue to use the roads as they are using them now then yes, they should be subject to the relevant regulations and/or restrictions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

pablo128 wrote: »
    We are not peasants who have to cycle to work. We like to travel in comfort, with the heating/aircon on, dry as a bone, and not soaked in sweat before we begin our days work.

I did it for long enough when I was younger. It's not for me anymore.

I prefer to watch the peasants in their cars as I cycle in Dublin. If cycling is cheaper than driving, your doing it wring.

On a more serious note, alot of cars on the road are a poverty trap for people who don't realise how easy life could be. I see students and people who are working low paid jobs around me driving in.

People want to waste an extra few hours a day listening to rubbish on the radio, fire away, less cyclists at the junctions when I get there. But if your time is worth so little that you have an extra hour or two to throw away daily, then I hate to say it, maybe the people passing you by in traffic on the bus or on a bike are not the peasants.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I prefer to watch the peasants in their cars as I cycle in Dublin. If cycling is cheaper than driving, your doing it wring.

On a more serious note, alot of cars on the road are a poverty trap for people who don't realise how easy life could be. I see students and people who are working low paid jobs around me driving in.

People want to waste an extra few hours a day listening to rubbish on the radio, fire away, less cyclists at the junctions when I get there. But if your time is worth so little that you have an extra hour or two to throw away daily, then I hate to say it, maybe the people passing you by in traffic on the bus or on a bike are not the peasants.

Can’t argue with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

CramCycle wrote: »

I hope you enjoyed the cold and rain immensely this morning on your cycle to work. I had a 25 minute drive to work, to be fair my only gripe is that the car took a little longer to warm up as it was Baltic.

Meanwhile my missus would have done the same journey in 10 minutes, as she works close to me but starts later. That's after hitting the gym in the morning which is about 20kms away.

I actually have little gripe with cyclists or electric scooters other than thinking that the electric scooters can be dangerous for their users on an open road.

I make a conscious decision to run 2 cars. I am a car enthusiast, and ex mechanic. I have an interest in cars and motorcycles. Myself and my missus are middle aged now, and no amount of cajoling, encouraging or downright insults are ever going to force us out of our cars and onto bicycles.

Again, enjoy your commute tomorrow. Hopefully you don't have ice cold rain pummelling your face on your way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

pablo128 wrote: »
    hope you enjoyed the cold and rain immensely this morning on your cycle to work. I had a 25 minute drive to work, to be fair my only gripe is that the car took a little longer to warm up as it was Baltic.
    Wasn't actually cold this morning for me. Based in Dublin so typically warmer than the rest of the country I will admit.
    Meanwhile my missus would have done the same journey in 10 minutes, as she works close to me but starts later. That's after hitting the gym in the morning which is about 20kms away.
    That's great for you. Not sure of the relevance but good for you both.
    Iactually have little gripe with cyclists or electric scooters other than thinking that the electric scooters can be dangerous for their users on an open road.
    I have no gripe with escooters at all, they are slow and ugly but that's not my problem. There are few collision scenarios thanks to their small wheels and low base where they won't be the worse off by a country mile, no matter what or who they hit.

I
    make a conscious decision to run 2 cars. I am a car enthusiast, and ex mechanic. I have an interest in cars and motorcycles. Myself and my missus are middle aged now, and no amount of cajoling, encouraging or downright insults are ever going to force us out of our cars and onto bicycles.
    Same here, not a mechanic, that was my dad's stick but run two cars. I honestly don't care whether people drive or cycle. Everyone is entitled to get about how they want, so long as they don't act like d1cks, who cares. Personally I think anyone driving within spitting distance of an urban centre is a bit mental but each to their own, a good friend of mine actually enjoys sitting in the car for a few hours, let them at it, I can't see the attraction, I like to be doing stuff with family and friends but she claims it's relaxing. This said, I'd have no issue with any motorist if they all could retain her zen like approach. Also sadly middle aged myself :(
    Again, enjoy your commute tomorrow. Hopefully you don't have ice cold rain pummelling your face on your way.
    My daughter's boyfriend said the same to me today, funnily enough, when your moving and appropriately dressed, it's actually fine, certainly wakes you up for the day.

I wish everyone enjoyed their commute as much as me, if they did, their would certainly be less angry people on the roads. You sound like you enjoy yours, and that's great, hope it continues to be as nice for you.

I am a selfish ass, I hope people have a nice commute but if they don't, so long as I don't suffer their ill will, I don't give a fiddler's. I luckily have the choice of car, bus or bike. The bike makes more sense for me, it might not for everyone.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/aaroadwash/

This is what one day and one users highlighting the motordom this country has decided to ignore looks like

But apparently we are meant to get mad at scooters, cyclist and pedestrians

Advertisement