Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury duty

Options
  • 05-11-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I need some help on something.

I have been summoned to attend jury duty at the beginning of next month and received a letter in the post giving me the date and time in my local courthouse.

I would be very interested in attending, however, the day is a Tuesday and I will be leaving the country for 4 days from that Thursday, and then will be back available from the following Monday onwards. The letter is to be completed and returned stating whether I am qualified to attend or if I wish to be excused. Do I state that I am qualified and wish to attend, hoping that if I am selected that the case will not take place during those dates I am unavailable or do I state I am unavailable from the offset?

Of course I would like to attend and have already notified work but I am slightly worried that I could be selected and would need to be back in court on one of those days I am unavailable.

Could someone advise what the best course of action would be,

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

I’d write back saying exactly what you say here, that yes you are available but include the dates that you’re out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

if you are selected on the day you can always approach the judge and explain that you are out of the country for a couple of days and more than likely he/she will excuse you

Advertisement