Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's pretty good, I'm up to episode 6 now. Crazy to think how readily available strong doses of Oxyconton were in the States back then, you have to be near dying over here to be put on anything close to as strong as the lightest dose over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rons gone wrong added....very fun little family film!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Clever little algorithms on the app. Royal Tenebaums gets a mention in Hawkeye, comes up as a Star Highlight when I return to the home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

I'm thinking of treating myself to this as a Christmas present but I'm not sure if I should get Apple tv instead.

Heavy Netflix and Amazon user

Can anyone recommend which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Disney+ has a a lot more to offer than Apple TV which only really has a handful of series and movies.

• Advertisement

Great. Thanks for letting me know. I'd be hoping to get a good bit of use from it so that should inform my choice.

I think for Christmas content Disney+ is the winner this year. (Although Last Christmas and Klaus can't be discounted on Netflix) Amazon is hard to navigate.

Cool. Thanks. That's 2 votes for Disney. Seems to be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

I had both Apple and Disney and Disney wins hands down in terms of volume of content and quality of content. One of the other biggest issues I have with Apple is that it is more of a pay for video channel rather than a video streaming site.

Cheers for that. Yeah that should steal the deal. I was planning on getting it for the year so I'd be looking for enough content to keep me entertained.

• Advertisement

Watched Ron's Gone Wrong yesterday, really enjoyed the first hour but the final third is a mess and completely drags. I know it's a kids movie but the logic regarding servers and code nearly made my eyes roll out of my head.

The new Disney film encanto is on Disney+ now, it is fun looks lovely and some very solid tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

The rescue is absolutely superb tv and I highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Does the GroupWatch work between AppleTVs?

What I mean is do start a GroupWatch for Boba Fett on my AppleTV, I use my iPhone to invite another and that person can accept on their AppleTV - then I start the stream on my AppleTV and it starts for all other members at the same time?

is that how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I finished Dopesick. Excellent series. Michael Keaton puts in a great performance.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah, anyone can pause it too. I tried it when it first came out and for whatever reason I got a lot of stuttering/pausing. I was the only one and it definitely wasn't my connection speed so didn't bother with it again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Group Watch...why?

What is the point of it? Surely watching a TV show is a solo activity where you want to give it your full attention not be having it disrupted by other people somewhere else pausing your viewing or chatting over the top of it. What is the benefit, other than distracting you from something that you must clearly be bored of it wanting to interact remotely with people at the same time?

I am two episodes in and really enjoying it.

I would recommend the John Oliver episode about purdue, absolute scumbags, the sacklers are vile

Well with Covid and lockdowns it came in very handy for watching something with someone you couldn't be with in person. I have a friend in Spain and we watch the Marvel shows together on groupwatch and discuss after, it's not at all disruptive. I wouldn't do it with someone who didn't have any interest in actually watching the show/movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think it's a nice idea, to watch something with friends/family who live far away - perfectly normal to watch shows with family at home so why is it any stranger to watch with them online? I've seen group watch sessions on twitch even, where the streamer plays a movie and all their followers can watch along with and discuss it after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks for those responses. So what actually happens during the watching then, or is it just a synchronised start time and a group chat room afterwards?

We literally just watch it and it's synchronized so we know neither one of us is ahead or behind. It's the same as watching something with someone in person, if one of you needs to go to the loo or get snacks or has a question, you pause it. I usually call my Spanish friend on discord so we can actually talk because I find the group chat feature too distracting.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Widow in their IMAX enhanced versions. Even if you don't have a massive 4K Home cinema, it's well worth watching this way on any size wide screen TV as the black bars get removed on any action scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I signed up for D+ just a few weeks ago. Plenty to enjoy with all the Marvel and Star Wars stuff. I've actually started watching Alias for the first time, never got around to watching it when it was first on. Very enjoyable show and Jennifer Garner dressing up in sexy disguises most episodes certainly doesn't hurt I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

“Surely watching a TV show is a solo activity” is a pretty broad, and I’d say incorrect for the majority of people, statement there.

My daughter and her cousins/friends often use group watch. The shared experience for them is way more important than the content

Well not solo so much as in a single location.

Watching something with others in the same physical location where you can more directly interact with each other, laugh at the same things, be surprised at the same things etc as the show happens I totally get.

Expressing those reactions 10 seconds later by sending a smiley face gif to someone on the other side of the world seems to be a bit slow and would just distract from where the show has then moved onto already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I mean that’s a world away from “solo activity” where you’re giving your full attention to the screen

Either way, some use it to connect with people they don’t live it/can’t be in the same room as. So it’s good they have that option

Pleasantly surprised by The Great North as most animated “comedies” drag the gutter for laughs.

But this is very funny and also very sweet (which is not a word I use often).

Also watched two episodes of The Salisbury Poisoning.

I’m guessing they added a bit more to Ann Marie Duffy’s character part in it all for the sake of drama but how it showed events was interesting.

After the second episode I’m guessing Nick Bailey and his wife are not being accurately portrayed. Neither one thought something was seriously wrong with him and worse the wife’s reaction to the police telling her they need to test the house is stereotypical of a lot of characters in outbreak movies and series were she behaves so stupidly.

i knew nothing about Sturgess and Rowley. And I don’t remember a second wave.

• Advertisement

Are An Affair to Remember and the Sound of Music the only “old movies” from the Fox catalogue on Disney+ here?

Advertisement