Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This is is intended as a sequel series to the Hanks movie isn’t it?

I wonder if he will turn up at some stage.

Going by the trailer
    He's dead. Though maybe flashbacks or voiceover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I just watched the first episode of Big Sky.

I found the characters very enjoyable and the story is edge of the seat stuff and about half way in I thought I might be hooked and then
    what the flipping flip :o:o … what an ending…

How did they manage to film this during the pandemic? I thought every series and movie was halted?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

My Disney+ sub is up for renewal & I'm leaning toward a yes.
    Any quick ways to save a few € on the cost? Would turning off the auto-renew option encourage them to offer a discount or, if I do let it lapse, am I likely to be get some encouragement to rejoin after a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the walking dead is now on Disney plus as is the golden girls. Is the walking dead worth watching ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So the walking dead is now on Disney plus as is the golden girls. Is the walking dead worth watching ?

Don’t do it to yourself
    It goes on way way way too long
    Rinse and repeat after a few series
    It’s the only show that I committed to for 5 or 6 seasons but just couldn’t stick with it .
    I wanted to jump ship after season 3 but the wife pulled rank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

km79 wrote: »
    Don’t do it to yourself
    It’s the only show that I committed to for 5 or 6 seasons but just couldn’t stick with it .

Same here. Think I watched the first 3-4 series when it started and then I might have watched a few more random episodes from 4 onward and just said ah here **** this, every year another and another and another, Just end already. Woeful stuff, same oul crap every season.

Can't believe it's still going. Delighted I stopped watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say you could cut the 11 seasons 150 odd episodes down to about 25 episodes and you would have a great fast passed story and not miss out one important thing.

Instead of 100 plus filler episodes that move at a snails pace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

11 seasons!! Sweet fancy Moses, I thought it was getting repetitive when I bailed after season 3. Couldn't imagine how such a limited story went on for 8 more. Fear The Walking Dead I gave up after only 3 episodes, wasting a good setting (LA, just as the infection hits), only to immediately go into the same template.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Same as everyone else here, I gave up around the third series. The first 2 were excellent, compelling viewing but after that it was just awful.

I cannot believe they've managed to get 11 seasons out of it, I was fully convinced it finished a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

pixelburp wrote: »
    11 seasons!! Sweet fancy Moses, I thought it was getting repetitive when I bailed after season 3. Couldn't imagine how such a limited story went on for 8 more. Fear The Walking Dead I gave up after only 3 episodes, wasting a good setting (LA, just as the infection hits), only to immediately go into the same template.

Fear was such a missed opportunity, fans were a crying out for a 'beginning of the end' series and Fear just time jumped past it, such a waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trouble with The Walking Dead is it got to a stage where each season was two parts of 8 episodes each, which meant good stuff happened in episodes 1, 8, 9 and 16 of each season, and maybe another random middle episode. Everything else was total filler where people make stupid mistakes for stupid reasons just so something minor happens, while Daryl mumbles something.

Jesus I didn’t expect such uniformity in the opinions of posters to the walking dead. Right well thanks for the heads up. It sounds like a more current version of lost which I loved when it first started but by Christ did that get painful towards the end and I actually stopped watching the last coupe of seasons because it made no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Jesus I didn’t expect such uniformity in the opinions of posters to the walking dead.

Id like to jump on that particular bandwagon too.....you've seen one episode (series if you wanted to be charitable) you've seen them all

The show, that like some of it's characters, just won't die

Walking Dead is great.

Don’t do it to yourself

Your wife makes you watch it? Like does she stop you from doing something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Commissar wrote: »
    My Disney+ sub is up for renewal & I'm leaning toward a yes.
    Any quick ways to save a few € on the cost? Would turning off the auto-renew option encourage them to offer a discount or, if I do let it lapse, am I likely to be get some encouragement to rejoin after a few days?

I don't think they work like that unfortunately. I let my membership expire last year but I didn't get any offer until March of this year (20 euro off the year).

I should have just taken it but I was humming and hawing and before I knew the deadline passed. I renewed recently anyway though since they added far more content and my niece loved it when I did have it so it was for her too. Its like crack for kids in fairness.

Xaniaj wrote: »
    Fear was such a missed opportunity, fans were a crying out for a 'beginning of the end' series and Fear just time jumped past it, such a waste

Yes I was expecting the show to be all about the outbreak and letting us see society crumbling while Rick was in that coma.

Plus the characters coped with all way to easily.

I think I lasted longer than ye with Walking Dead. Looking now, turns out I made it to the second half of season 8.
    As said, it gets repetitive and it's hard to build tension when you know they're not going to kill off main characters.

Though thinking now since I managed to make it that far, I might catch up before the final season.

But if looking for a good zombie series, I suggest Black Summer on Netflix, if you have that. No Walking Dead ninja zombies required as they have the crazy 28 Days Later/World War Z type fast zombies.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think I lasted longer than ye with Walking Dead. Looking now, turns out I made it to the second half of season 8.
    As said, it gets repetitive and it's hard to build tension when you know they're not going to kill off main characters.

Though thinking now since I managed to make it that far, I might catch up before the final season.

But if looking for a good zombie series, I suggest Black Summer on Netflix, if you have that. No Walking Dead ninja zombies required as they have the crazy 28 Days Later/World War Z type fast zombies.

Is Black Summer a proper end of civilisation story?

Jesus I didn’t expect such uniformity in the opinions of posters to the walking dead. Right well thanks for the heads up. It sounds like a more current version of lost which I loved when it first started but by Christ did that get painful towards the end and I actually stopped watching the last coupe of seasons because it made no sense at all.

That’s exactly it and why I didn’t stay with The Walking Dead
    I stuck with Lost and swore never to do that again
    I made my wife stick with Lost too ;)

• Advertisement

Your wife makes you watch it? Like does she stop you from doing something else?

Well that was a weird and unnecessary response

Well that was a weird and unnecessary response

What is weird and unnecessary about it ?

You said your wife pulled ranked about stopping watching the show.
    So I asked if she makes you watch it and stops you from doing something else while it is on.

Is Black Summer a proper end of civilisation story?

Yeah, the military is still a thing in it and evacuating people and all but also people ready to turn on each other at any time. 2 seasons of 8 episodes each so far

One show I have liked watching on Disney plus is my name is Earl. Funny stuff on the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Read the comic instead

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When season 1 of The Walking Dead came out Xtra-Vision was still a thing as I rented it there.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah, the military is still a thing in it and evacuating people and all but also people ready to turn on each other at any time. 2 seasons of 8 episodes each so far

It is a prequel to Z Nation isn’t it?

I watched a couple of episodes and didn’t like that which is why I didn’t pay heed to Black Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

One show I have liked watching on Disney plus is my name is Earl. Funny stuff on the first season.

It's a classic, so too is Raising Hope, done by the same crowd with a lot of common actors. Also on Disney+

As for The Walking Dead, they really dragged the **** out of it to the point you could fast forward through random episodes in the later seasons and still not be lost as to what was happening.

It is a prequel to Z Nation isn’t it?

I watched a couple of episodes and didn’t like that which is why I didn’t pay heed to Black Summer.

Prequel in all but name. Same team behind it. It's like they had their fun with ZNation and went the complete opposite end of the spectrum with this

• Advertisement

When season 1 of The Walking Dead came out Xtra-Vision was still a thing as I rented it there.

Jaysus. Prison break(which is a show I watched religiously when it aired)didn’t get as bad as the walking dead seems to have gotten going on multiple comments here, but the first season of prison break was excellent and maybe the second season but Jesus did they dragged that out to five seasons. It got a bit hard to keep watching(but I did) and then the extra episode we got in Ireland revealed a big spoiler and in return the reboot season which I only got so far because I’d seen the extra episode and the sixth season made zero logical sense based on that.

Anyway xtra vision. Good trip down nostalgia Avenue AC.

Advertisement