Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2019 by-elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,964 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

christy c wrote: »
    This is just the usual waffle from people sympathetic with SF, similar to how those type seem most upset with how Leo was elected leader of a party they don't even support.

If FF & FG members want to merge they will

They need to offer something distinct to the electorate so. Politics is about offering people choice, not riding on the coattails of of an almost identical party and swapping power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭Augme

Abysmally low turnout reflecting the current state here...an electorate fed up with petty squabbles between two parties who really should merge and get it over with and manifestations of the arrogance of power over and over again. The Hospital, Maria Bailey, The Printer etc etc.?

Also the fact that there really is no point in this election and it is being run again in around 6 months time anyway. I've voted in every election that I have been in the country but I'd be hard pushed to show up for this one even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

They need to offer something distinct to the electorate so. Politics is about offering people choice, not riding on the coattails of of an almost identical party and swapping power.

Again that's not something for someone sympathetic with SF to decide.

Again that's not something for someone sympathetic with SF to decide.

Why are you trying to make it about SF?

Deal with the point or say nothing.

Why are you trying to make it about SF?

Deal with the point or say nothing.

I'm saying it's not for you as someone sympathetic with SF to decide, it's up to party members. Same as it would not be for me to say that SF should merge with Solidarity for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Final tallies in CNC and DMW:

CNC
    FF 28.19
    FG 21.14
    SF 19.59
    Lab 9.70
    Grn 7.25

DMW:
    SF 23.9
    FG 18.7
    Gogarty 12.7
    FF 11.8
    Timmons 6.9
    Lab 6.7
    Grn 6.4 (stupid RTE posted a sideways photo of a pie chart so hard to read)

I'm saying it's not for you as someone sympathetic with SF to decide, it's up to party members. Same as it would not be for me to say that SF should merge with Solidarity for example.

This is a 'discussion' forum. Discuss the point, don't try and censor it.

This is a 'discussion' forum. Discuss the point, don't try and censor it.

I have given it the discussion it deserves, if members want to, they will merge. Should they merge? No, unless they want to.

I have given it the discussion it deserves, if members want to, they will merge. Should they merge? No, unless they want to.

It is my belief, as somebody interested in political matters, that it should be called out.

Unless you believe that nobody outside a particular party is allowed to comment?

Unless you believe that nobody outside a particular party is allowed to comment?

Of course they're allowed to comment, doesn't mean the comment should be taken seriously by others though.

• Advertisement

Of course they're allowed to comment, doesn't mean the comment should be taken seriously by others though.

Putting aside your jumping to a conclusion that I was trying to 'decide' the matter, do you think the fact that they are so similar that it is having a negative effect on the body politic in the country? I.E. Low turnouts and voter apathy.
    Which was the original point.

Putting aside your jumping to a conclusion that I was trying to 'decide' the matter, do you think the fact that they are so similar that it is having a negative effect on the body politic in the country? I.E. Low turnouts and voter apathy.
    Which was the original point.

Ok apologies, "decide" was the wrong choice of words, would have been better to say that someone who does not vote for either of two parties giving suggestions on what they should do.

Is low turnout/apathy/etc. related to FF & FG being similar? Possibly. I think it's more related to the low standard of politics we have in general here (I include all parties here).

Having said that, looking at our neighbors on both sides of the water, we do not seem too bad. However that does not mean there's not massive room for improvement.

Ok apologies, "decide" was the wrong choice of words, would have been better to say that someone who does not vote for either of two parties giving suggestions on what they should do.

Again with the assumption that I don't vote for members of these parties if I think they would be good representatives. Could you apologise for that 'choice of words' too.
    Is low turnout/apathy/etc. related to FF & FG being similar? Possibly. I think it's more related to the low standard of politics we have in general here (I include all parties here).

Having said that, looking at our neighbors on both sides of the water, we do not seem too bad. However that does not mean there's not massive room for improvement.

I think it is a 'part' of the reason for voter apathy. Two parties swapping power and elements of policy and ideology as it suits them, or as a facile way to distinguish each other is not healthy. Either one should have some conviction and offer a choice.

Again with the assumption that I don't vote for members of these parties if I think they would be good representatives. Could you apologise for that 'choice of words' too.

No, it was a reasonable assumption based on your posting history. And voting for parties you don't like regardless of who the candidate is doesn't make much sense to me, particularly when the party whip is used.

No, it was a reasonable assumption based on your posting history. And voting for parties you don't like regardless of who the candidate is doesn't make much sense to me, particularly when the party whip is used.

My 'posting history' which you will find includes the statement that I am not a member of, or a supporter of one particular party?

You made an assumption in an effort to criticise an opinion.

Anyone know of good twitter feed following all the counts?

DMW first count expected about 1pm
    CNC about 1.30pm

Green tally says Green is topping the poll in Fingal
    Grn 23.5
    FF 17.5
    Lab 16.5
    FG 14.0

My 'posting history' which you will find includes the statement that I am not a member of, or a supporter of one particular party?

You made an assumption in an effort to criticise an opinion.

Never said you were a member or supporter of any party.

I'm not sure where you stand, you vote for FF or FG but would like them to merge? If so, is there not another party to vote for which better reflects your views?

follow this hashtag

#BE19

Never said you were a member or supporter of any party.

I'm not sure where you stand, you vote for FF or FG but would like them to merge? If so, is there not another party to vote for which better reflects your views?

You may need to come out of your assumptive bubble and research the term 'floating voter'. They do exist and they are looking for 'choice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Live blog on Irish Times is what I'm using.

A box in Cork opened with 'zero' votes in it. That's shocking in so many ways.

You may need to come out of your assumptive bubble and research the term 'floating voter'. They do exist and they are looking for 'choice'.

Fair enough, I've met floating voters but most only had a very small interest in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A box in Cork opened with 'zero' votes in it. That's shocking in so many ways.

Bishopstown. Madness.

Fingal 1st count due 2pm

Almost full tally (minus 4 boxes)

Grn 22.8
    FF 18.40
    Lab 15.40
    FG 14.9
    I4C 9.70

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Fingal 1st count due 2pm

Almost full tally (minus 4 boxes)

Grn 22.8
    FF 18.40
    Lab 15.40
    FG 14.9
    I4C 9.70

Media were pretty much handing the seat to the Greens a couple of hours ago. Not so sure on the figures above

DMW 1st count: turnout 26.58%

Gavan reilly's spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8X2QLSBzwf72w9V-uXavJ9BuECP4MblZJv7riZXg5A/edit#gid=1709040152

Really strong turnouts in working class N Clondalkin estates for SF's Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭Augme

Media were pretty much handing the seat to the Greens a couple of hours ago. Not so sure on the figures above

Why? The greens will be far more transfer friendly than Fianna fail and Lorraine Clifford Lee I would have thought.

I agree though Greens stronger than FF for transfers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,468 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Soc Dems did even worse than I expected in DMW. That was one of their target seats for the next GE, on that result they may as well give up there.

Advertisement