Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a criminal record?

Options
  • 03-11-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

More than 10 years ago I was driving home from Belfast and got caught speeding. I think it was 76mph in a 60mph zone. I was hoping I would get away with it because you could not get points on your Irish license if caught in the UK. However, to my surprise the Police man announced he was going to arrest me! I thought he was joking but no, he jumped in the passenger seat and drove me to the local police station where I had my mugshot taken, fingerprints and all my details taken. They were extremely nice and polite through the entire process.

I then had to pay bail, and off I went on my way. I had to return to court about a month later, pled guilty and paid an £80 fine, and got my bail money back. Seemed like a ridiculous process for a simple speeding fine.

Talking to a friend he tells me that I actually have a criminal record now. Is this true or he is full of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

lg01 wrote: »
    More than 10 years ago I was driving home from Belfast and got caught speeding. I think it was 76mph in a 60mph zone. I was hoping I would get away with it because you could not get points on your Irish license if caught in the UK. However, to my surprise the Police man announced he was going to arrest me! I thought he was joking but no, he jumped in the passenger seat and drove me to the local police station where I had my mugshot taken, fingerprints and all my details taken. They were extremely nice and polite through the entire process.

I then had to pay bail, and off I went on my way. I had to return to court about a month later, pled guilty and paid an £80 fine, and got my bail money back. Seemed like a ridiculous process for a simple speeding fine.

Talking to a friend he tells me that I actually have a criminal record now. Is this true or he is full of it?

I had a drink driving conviction 10 years ago tooand have had background checks done on me for jobs, coaching kids rugby etc in the meantime and nothing ever showed up.
    There is a spent convictions bill too where anything over 7 years is disregarded if it's just a single conviction.

And honestly, do you think driving a bit over speed limit is going to result in anything negative for you? Half the country would be criminals

Technically your friend is probably correct as there will be a record of it somewhere but who cares really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I was convicted of careless driving in 2006, now it's not the only conviction i have, but when i am vetted and have to discuss the other convictions and why they happened etc, the traffic offence is never part of it yet it is disclosed, even for driving jobs as it was so long ago. Any minor traffic offences i wouldn't lose sleep over, a speeding offence on its own would be on the very lower end of the scale of crimes in Ireland or the UK unless there was a serious injury or death, but from what you say there was no one else involved bar the Police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There is a spent convictions bill too where anything over 7 years is disregarded if it's just a single conviction.

Remember this happened in the UK, do they have the exact same spent convictions bill?
    I'd expect it to only show up on a check for a job in the UK not here, that's if it shows up at all.
    The OP said they were caught speeding but did not say what they were charged and convicted for.

tuxy wrote: »
    Remember this happened in the UK, do they have the exact same spent convictions bill?
    I'd expect it to only show up on a check for a job in the UK not here, that's if it shows up at all.
    The OP said they were caught speeding but did not say what they were charged and convicted for.

I'd imagine this covers it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehabilitation_of_Offenders_Act_1974

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lg01

Thanks all. So the only reason it may matter is I recently got a job overseas, and as part of it my boss asked me if I have a criminal record - of course I said no. Later I told him this story and he laughed and said - "well you do have a criminal record! Good to know in case I ever want to get rid of you haha".

He is only joking of course - we get on great - but you never know what could happen in the future. So I just wanted to check as I simply could not believe that a simple speeding fine and a court appearance to give me the fine a UK resident would have got in the post, would result in an actual criminal record...

Tuxy I'm not sure what I got charged with exactly. It was a 30 second process in court. My name called, "How do you plead" - "Guilty" - "Ok £80 fine, NEXT". Done. This is what I never for a second thought I'd have an actual criminal record.

Is there any way for me to actually check, considering I no longer live in ire lreland?

• Advertisement

lg01 wrote: »
    Thanks all. So the only reason it may matter is I recently got a job overseas, and as part of it my boss asked me if I have a criminal record - of course I said no. Later I told him this story and he laughed and said - "well you do have a criminal record! Good to know in case I ever want to get rid of you haha".

He is only joking of course - we get on great - but you never know what could happen in the future. So I just wanted to check as I simply could not believe that a simple speeding fine and a court appearance to give me the fine a UK resident would have got in the post, would result in an actual criminal record...

Tuxy I'm not sure what I got charged with exactly. It was a 30 second process in court. My name called, "How do you plead" - "Guilty" - "Ok £80 fine, NEXT". Done. This is what I never for a second thought I'd have an actual criminal record.

Is there any way for me to actually check, considering I no longer live in ire lreland?

Try this:

https://www.criminalrecordchecks.co.uk/basic-disclosure-online/

https://crbdirect.org.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9fntBRCGARIsAGjFq5FgAxRdOXQWOZPgTi3E99Raoi46IrXw0-m9s6Kxb2oSgvP3eH5snwEaAvViEALw_wcB

https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

This can be an issue in getting a working visa in countries such as Canada & the US. Technically if you don't declare it and it is discovered you can have it revoked and be deported for making a false declaration - remembering UK spent convictions legislation doesn't apply outside of the UK. The actual chances of that happening however I would estimate as being quite low.

Also some good further info on UK spent convictions here
    https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q89.htm

Advertisement