Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda getting body cams

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,480 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Personally I agree with the Gardai having body cameras but they'll be snowed under with data requests from people requesting their personal data to such an extent that the system will become unworkable. And if other people are in the footage, they'll have to be blurred out. It'll be a nightmare.

But potentially quite necessary. Look at the Andrew Brown situation for instance.

They, the Gardai do disgusting things too just search online and the footage is available. I'm not on about fools who abuse them at protests and the like. I'm on about genuine abuse of power.

There is one video going around. The Garda is sitting in his Car, a Person walks up and points out he has no NCT. The Garda's reply "Fxxk Oxf".

“Genuine abuse of power”

“Garda says **** off”

Ireland is so innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Overheal wrote: »
    But potentially quite necessary. Look at the Andrew Brown situation for instance.

You have a point as footage of an incident can clarify a chain of events but the US doesn't have our GDPR rules to contend with. It could easily become a logistical nightmare.

You have a point as footage of an incident can clarify a chain of events but the US doesn't have our GDPR rules to contend with. It could easily become a logistical nightmare.

Looks to be already thought of:

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2020-04/Guidance%20on%20Body%20Worn%20Cameras%20or%20Action%20Cameras_Jan20.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There are many police forces in the EU using body cameras without issue.

Members of the public will not have an automatic right to request footage filmed in a public place in the same manner that you do not have the right to start requesting CCTV footage from a shop every time you walk past it.

The camera will also only be running as an incident unfolds.

It'll be based on the same system and procedures that are in use for London's Metropolitan Police Service. They've plenty of information available online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Overheal wrote: »

I started to go look at the legislation and could feel myself starting to lose the will to live so I gave up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you sure? I would have thought that if individuals incidentally going about their business have their image captured in the footage, they would be entitled to a copy of it because their image is their data, no?
    I stand corrected, looking at the link Overheal has posted.

There is already something of a de facto exclusion in there though in that providing the footage may reveal 3rd party or Garda information of a sensitive nature, which means you can refuse to provide it.

I expect there will otherwise be a clause written somewhere that provides a more explicit exemption for this footage from the usual GDPR clauses.

After all, a person cannot really make a SAR for themselves from the Gardai. You might get some data back, but not only will you not be given files from ongoing investigations, you won't even be told they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    How do they manage in other countries like the US?

You said -
    “ Always on, with no means for the individual to change that or the content is the only way for both the Gardai themselves and the public.”

If they can’t turn it off do they need a supervisor to come and turn it off? Like kids in school asking the teacher for permission to go to the toilet.

I believe in the States, the individual decides when to activate the recording for body worn cameras. Patrol cars record when lights/sirens are turned on.

It’s a funny old world when Gardai are given firearms, tasers, batons, pepper spray to use, but god forbid they’re allowed choose when to press record.

No believes it’s a panacea, but I’m sure the benefits of them will far outweigh any negatives. They will aid investigations and prosecutions, disprove malicious complaints, keep the Gardaí correct & professional and de-escalate potentially aggressive situations. The ICCL can whinge about it all they like, but they’ll be coming into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

seamus wrote: »
    I expect there will otherwise be a clause written somewhere that provides a more explicit exemption for this footage from the usual GDPR clauses.

There already is such a clause, so to speak, law enforcement agencies were always exempt from much of the GDPR legislation from the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation#Exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

RobbieMD wrote: »
    I believe in the States, the individual decides when to activate the recording for body worn cameras. Patrol cars record when lights/sirens are turned on.

Yep, there's a few cool things around like gunshot noises triggering recording or using other triggers.

"Always-on" is somewhat true for some manufacturers too in that the device is always recording but only 'saving' the recording when a button is hit, ie. someone starts causing trouble, guard hits the button and recording starts (including a 30sec/2min cache prior to the button press).

• Advertisement

Are you sure? I would have thought that if individuals incidentally going about their business have their image captured in the footage, they would be entitled to a copy of it because their image is their data, no?

If a criminal asks for a copy of it, the non-blurring of faces might expose the identity of witnessess long before a trial.

Scrotes might start doing it to p1ss off the Gardai.

Like I said, I'm in favour of bodycameras but I can see a lot of unintended consequences.

Gdpr doesn't apply to law enforcement. Ags therefore, would not be obliged to hand over footage that's evidence and the cameras will, I suspect not keep recordings

Anyway, it seems the iccl has managed to water this down like everything else.

Gardai will have to turn the camera on AND be subject to questioning and discipline if they cannot justify turning it on in the first place but sunny have to explain not turning them on. So Gardai wobt turn them on and then will be accused of cover ups.

Ireland, where smart ideas and good practice goes to die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

could the gardai have body cameras under the guise of "health and safety" - always on - to record in the event that a member is assaulted ? footage may not be permissible in court but would assist gardai in their work identification etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They, the Gardai do disgusting things too just search online and the footage is available. I'm not on about fools who abuse them at protests and the like. I'm on about genuine abuse of power.

There is one video going around. The Garda is sitting in his Car, a Person walks up and points out he has no NCT. The Garda's reply "Fxxk Oxf".

Sounds like an appropriate response. What sort of gobsh!te would think that a Garda is responsible for having the squad car they are using NCTd? A squad car is a public service vehicle it doesn’t even require an NCT as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

MadYaker wrote: »
    Sounds like an appropriate response. What sort of gobsh!te would think that a Garda is responsible for having the squad car they are using NCTd? A squad car is a public service vehicle it doesn’t even require an NCT as far as I know.

If it were my work car it would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MadYaker wrote: »
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    If it were my work car it would be different.

Garda, Defence forces and Fire service vehicles are exempt from the NCT.

Advertisement