Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of original music recordings... any help

Options
  • 30-10-2019 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    Cutting to the chase my uncle (who has passed away a few years now)has some original recordings of beatles music that apple corp no longer have copies of. He was a sound enginer between 69-72 for them.They are requesting that they borrow the recordings to use in a documentary being made by Peter Jackson about let it be.
    Anyway, a producer has just rung my mam saying can he come over from the UK and borrow the tapes. He also said that the fact that we have held on to the tapes deserves 'immense gratitude'...
    Anyway, im just looking for advise on where to go with this? and basically if my mam could benefit financially as it would be of great help to her. She has said that she has no need for the tapes herself...

Any help on this would be really appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,245 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Firstly have you verified the person looking to collect them is legit and not some chancer looking to steal them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Contact an auction house or a safety deposit box would be my advice. Feck Peter Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Firstly have you verified the person looking to collect them is legit and not some chancer looking to steal them?

Yep, he is listed on imdb as a producer with a heap load of credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

HI all,
    Cutting to the chase my uncle (who has passed away a few years now)has some original recordings of beatles music that apple corp no longer have copies of. He was a sound enginer between 69-72 for them.They are requesting that they borrow the recordings to use in a documentary being made by Peter Jackson about let it be.
    Anyway, a producer has just rung my mam saying can he come over from the UK and borrow the tapes. He also said that the fact that we have held on to the tapes deserves 'immense gratitude'...
    Anyway, im just looking for advise on where to go with this? and basically if my mam could benefit financially as it would be of great help to her. She has said that she has no need for the tapes herself...

Any help on this would be really appreciated.
    Cheers

IF this is real you could have VERY VERY expensive tapes on your hands, have them valued before you do ANYTHING, this guy wants to "borrow" the tapes, like feck I'd be handing over anything before they're valued and insured for what could be a substantial sum of money. I'll be following this thread with great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bonhams

• Advertisement

IF this is real you could have VERY VERY expensive tapes on your hands, have them valued before you do ANYTHING, this guy wants to "borrow" the tapes, like feck I'd be handing over anything before they're valued and insured for what could be a substantial sum of money. I'll be following this thread with great interest.

Thanks, Who would I contact to get them valued?
    The original tapes were stolen but found in 2003 in Amsterdam, but there are twenty tapes missing. My uncle copied all of what he recorded as a means of insurance in case recordings were damaged and my mam has boxes of those duplicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Thanks, Who would I contact to get them valued?
    The original tapes were stolen but found in 2003 in Amsterdam, but there are twenty tapes missing. My uncle copied all of what he recorded as a means of insurance in case recordings were damaged and my mam has boxes of those duplicates.

bonhams?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yep, he is listed on imdb as a producer with a heap load of credits.
    Contact him yourself. See if the person you contact is the person that rang you.
    Anyway, a producer has just rung my mam saying can he come over from the UK and borrow the tapes.
    Headlines the next day; Beatles recordings found in Beatles studio, shall be released soon. Producer gets a big payday, your mum gets nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are these actual recordings of unreleased songs or just jamming sessions in a studio or them talking?
    Unless there is some never before heard song the value in them is very limited beyond it might be nice to hear them but we can live without it
    Regardless even tho you have the recordings you don't own any copyright on them and any reward for their use is purely a gratuity
    So forget you are gonna be a millionaire

fritzelly wrote: »
    Regardless even tho you have the recordings you don't own any copyright on them and any reward for their use is purely a gratuity
    So forget you are gonna be a millionaire

hence the reason for posting in the legal section looking for advice
    Just not sure where to go from here....
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

OP,
    Apple Corps may claim title to these recordings. They may argue your farther worked for them and that his making of these recordings was undertaken as part of his work duties. There is a hint of this in their response of 'immense gratitude' in you having held onto these tapes (i.e it is now time to hand them over).

If they do this after you let the tapes out then you are negotiating from a weak position. You need to get advice from a good intellectual property lawyer on the ownership of these recordings. Whomever owns the tapes may then also own the copyright in what is recorded on them. That will have value as the owner can charge for each reproduction or broadcast.

If the tapes are potentially of very high value then there are specific lawyers in the big Dublin law firms that i could recommend, but they are not cheap. My job involves intellectual property management but I am not a lawyer. However I do use lawyers in my work, a lot.

I would not let those tapes out of my sight without good legal advice on ownership and having some sense of their value. Three original moon landing tapes were uncovered in 2008 and they sold earlier this year for $1.8m.

boege wrote: »
    OP,
    Three original moon landing tapes were uncovered in 2008 and they sold earlier this year for $1.8m.

thanks a million... Ill locate the tapes, give them a listen and see whats on them. They would be copies of the original, now lost reels that my mams brother would have recorded.
    The quote above is brillant by the way :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

The owner was an intern in NASA. While there he bought a huge number of tapes off NASA for under $300.

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/24/nasa-intern-sold-moon-landing-tapes-for-1-8-million-at-auction/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you are a sound engineer with tape experience yourself please do NOT attempt to play tapes that old on equipment you are unfamiliar with

You could actually wipe them in the process, or knock all the oxide off achieving the same results.

I'm a broadcast engineer and I wouldn't even play them myself at this stage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Consult a solicitor. Leaving open for general discussion subject to forum rules

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

boege wrote: »
    The owner was an intern in NASA. While there he bought a huge number of tapes off NASA for under $300.

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/24/nasa-intern-sold-moon-landing-tapes-for-1-8-million-at-auction/

So that person owned something they could sell.

For the OP, it very much depends on how they came into possession of those tapes. There'll be no copyrights due, as the copyrights are owned by the creatives. It's very unlikely there'll be any publishing rights.

They'd likely want to pursue some sort of leasing agreement. But this comes down to determining the ownership of the tapes.

Advertisement