Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'm in!

Bloody delighted. Really didn't think I'd get one.

shlt... what have I let myself in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

nothing yet for me. Has anyone else got notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Nothing here. Not too hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dudda wrote: »
    I'm in!
    yerrahbah wrote: »
    I'm assuming they will do the same as the first round and contact successful applicants first...
    I'm assuming you're right just by the above. I haven't received anything yet. First round rejection email was received at 11:21am 10/01/20

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

nothing here either

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're right just my the above. I haven't received anything yet. First round rejection email was received at 11:21am 10/01/20

I reckon your right i got my rejection at the same time as yourself ,

Dudda wrote: »
    I'm in!

Bloody delighted. Really didn't think I'd get one.

shlt... what have I let myself in for?

Just to updated for others waiting.

Successful email arrived 10:04 am
    Successful text arrived just now at 10:27 am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Still heard nothing, not feeling overly optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

nothing here yet either

• Advertisement

Think its safe to say those of us who have not heard at this stage are not in

I am gutted if I am being honest. Worked my bollox off for this and the 1st year I enter I cannot get in. I know plenty of us are in the same boat.

I went ahead and entered Kilkenny for September. So either way I have one coming up. But really wanted to run this

R.F. wrote: »
    Think its safe to say those of us who have not heard at this stage are not in

I am gutted if I am being honest. Worked my bollox off for this and the 1st year I enter I cannot get in. I know plenty of us are in the same boat.

I went ahead and entered Kilkenny for September. So either way I have one coming up. But really wanted to run this

I was planning to run Galway three weeks before Dublin. That way I’d have started training and if I got an entry in August I’d just adjust training having an extra three weeks and do Dublin instead. I wasn’t going to book Galway until just after the DCM August entries knowing Galway wouldn’t sell out before then.
    You’re in almost exactly the same situation. Train and aim for Kilkenny and if you get an entry for Dublin in August just take a recovery day or two and restart training for Dublin. The additional Kilkenny training will stand to you as you’ll have even more training under your belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

R.F. wrote:

This round was never going to yield many places. It's the one later in the year that will, when all the over enthusiastic folks drop out with injury or various other reasons.

My plan was to train for the Limerick half and take it from there.

Assuming all goes well with that might enter the Cork marathon which is 4 weeks later

The training will continue regardless of the outcome of today

This round was never going to yield many places. It's the one later in the year that will, when all the over enthusiastic folks drop out with injury or various other reasons.

The problem is the next round is far too late at 1st Aug. I would be starting training at the start of May, but would not bother doing so unless I knew I was guaranteed an entry.....

There probably is a good reason for leaving the next round until 1st Aug, but it doesn't work from my point of view......

PGL wrote: »
    The problem is the next round is far too late at 1st Aug. I would be starting training at the start of May, but would not bother doing so unless I knew I was guaranteed an entry.....

There probably is a good reason for leaving the next round until 1st Aug, but it doesn't work from my point of view......

Plenty of other Marathons you could aim for and if you get the call in August for Dublin it'll be a great bonus ,

I'm going to keep at it and enter another on in the country and if I get Dublin in August then I'll just do the Dublin one ,

Plenty of other Marathons you could aim for and if you get the call in August for Dublin it'll be a great bonus ,

I'm going to keep at it and enter another on in the country and if I get Dublin in August then I'll just do the Dublin one ,

That's a fair point, but in my particular case, I am only interested in the Dublin marathon at the moment. I ran it in 2016, thoroughly enjoyed it and really wanted to run it again this year. Due to family commitments etc, I will only commit to the six months training if I know for sure I'll get in. I would be happy enough waiting until say mid April for another ballot round, but could not hold off till 1st Aug :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

Ah well, the first year in my life that I feel I can actually run a marathon distance, and they change my hometown one to a fecking lottery system. My names still in the hat for New York though, should know before the end of the month. Another long shot...
    Congrats to all that got it, at least you know where you stand and can properly plan training now. I won't be interested in the August draw, too late for me. I'll have my events for the year well booked before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Has anyone got an email to say they were unsuccessful for round 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parkrun

ccull123 wrote: »
    Has anyone got an email to say they were unsuccessful for round 2?
    Yes. Just got it now :(

• Advertisement

yup, as expected just got it now.

just received the rejection email now :(

Didnt get it. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kukkanen

Same, just got the PFO email too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

:(

computer-says-no-1.jpg

rejection,

Oh well time to look at a different counties one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Same as, no go this year.

Torn now - do I start training in June anyway for the hope of August or do I just go elsewhere? Any good races on around that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Got rejection email

Anyone know the thinking behind the next round being in August ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone know the thinking behind the next round being in August ?

Gives them time to process any cancellations from the July refund window.
    Once they release the lot then in August it will sell every single entry that hasn't been taken & refunds together.

The hope is then that it's only the people who intend turning up are left in the hat.
    I'm sure there will be a couple of waves for that phase as there may be people drawn out in Aug that no longer want to run.

Assuming anything is left after that keeps getting offered to people until everyone has been covered on their lists....?

Advertisement