Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail votes and legal sanction

Options
  • 22-10-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Voting in the Dail is regulated by the members rules as per the Constitution. Art 15,11 states "1° all questions in each house shall, save as otherwise provided by this constitution, be determined by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting other than the chairman or presiding member"

It appears that a number of members have not respected this article of the Constitution.
    As a concerned citizen, have I any recourse to the agents of the state, Gardai­, Attorney General etc., to investigate and remedy this and sanction those responsible or are members of Dail no subject to the law?

I am aware of article 15.13 giving freedom from arrest etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rock22 wrote: »
    I am aware of article 15.13 giving freedom from arrest etc.

It's freedom from arrest in coming and going from the Oireachtas (it's an anti-coup measure), it isn't freedom from later prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rock22 wrote: »
    As a concerned citizen, have I any recourse to the agents of the state, Gardai­, Attorney General etc., to investigate and remedy this and sanction those responsible .....

No, you do not. The Oireachtas is a self-regulating body .....

15.10 Each House shall make its own rules and standing orders, with power to attach penalties for their infringement, and shall have power to ensure freedom of debate, to protect its official documents and the private papers of its members, and to protect itself and its members against any person or persons interfering with, molesting or attempting to corrupt its members in the exercise of their duties.

Advertisement