Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment - Minimum notice

Options
  • 21-10-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I started a job today, not liking it the whole job the energy in the company everything is negative
    I’ve made the decision I wish to leave however as I’ve signed a contract which says 30 days notice anyway of getting out of this by law
    If someone can advise me I am 1 day into a 24 month contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Hi OP,
    Sorry that you are feeing unhappy. You have only been there a day. Could you give the job a month at least ?
    Everything is overwhelming on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My first advice is as above.
    Give The job a decent chance.

Failing that just give a weeks notice and it will be fine. It doesn’t sound like you’ve become pivotal to the operation of the company in your day there so a week is the legal minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

if you are not happy and want to leave just tell them. they won't want to keep you on for 30 days at this point of the contract. you wont be able to do anything, its not worth their while to train you at all as you are leaving, so would be best all round just to let you leave asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't know if you're giving that a fair chance at all.

Coincidentally, I also had my first day of a new job today. Not all smooth, it takes a while to get into things. Give it until the end of the week before you commit to any course of action. At that point you could probably just leave though, they're not going to sue you over it.
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're convinced that you've made a mistake, just man up and tell them tomorrow. They'll probably be happy to show you the door immediately, rather than waste any more time training you.

Best of luck for your plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Theshadow1987

So the update is it’s Thursday now and I have parted ways with the company they agreed to cancel the contract without the 30 days notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

So the update is it’s Thursday now and I have parted ways with the company they agreed to cancel the contract without the 30 days notice period.

Did you stay until today?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

mod
    OK, glad you got sorted. Tnread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement