Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2019 in Revenue - Tax, Audit and Compliance

• 18-10-2019 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Executive Officer 2019 in Revenue - Tax, Audit and Compliance - Nationwide

The competition opened on the 25 Sept and closed on the 18 Oct 2019. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the process and progress of the campaign.

This is an open competition for appointment to the position of executive officer (EO) working as part of a tax, audit and compliance team.

Stage 1 - Unsupervised online tests to include (late October 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning
    • Chat Assess

Stage 2 - Supervised online tests to include (early November 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning

Stage 3 - Final competitive, competency based interview (November/December 2019).

Executive Officers may be required to complete Revenue’s trainee auditor programme. This consists of carrying out Revenue interventions as part of practical training together with an academic qualification, accredited by a recognised academic institution and/or professional body for which you will be required to successfully complete all relevant exams. This training will commence in January and September 2020 and will take approximately three years to complete.

See Information Booklet attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I put in for this, just happened to come across it on the revenue website and the role sounded interesting. Wasn't actively looking as currently employed in the private sector but job security and the employer were the 2 key things for me. Interested to see how the selection process plays out too as didn't know too much about the public sector until I started reading here.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    I put in for this, just happened to come across it on the revenue website and the role sounded interesting. Wasn't actively looking as currently employed in the private sector but job security and the employer were the 2 key things for me. Interested to see how the selection process plays out too as didn't know too much about the public sector until I started reading here.

What location are you going for?

Have you does the Verbal, Numerical reasoning tests before??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm in for this. I placed decently for the AO one for this year but to date havent gotten the call. Probably very few AO's in my chosen locations in the midlands. Hopefully have more luck with the EO's :D

What location are you going for?

Have you does the Verbal, Numerical reasoning tests before??

Kilkenny (main option) and Waterford but probably wouldn't accept Waterford as would be too much of a commute. No, first time applying for a public job so kind of just curious about the whole testing side of it too.

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    so kind of just curious about the whole testing side of it too.

The assessment tests are usually done by Cut-e. You can practice the Verbal and Numerical test at:
    http://getstarted.cut-e.com/home/

Ignore the third test as its not relevant for this competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I had applied but don't think I'll bother proceeding. The job looks right up my street but I'd be dropping from 38k to 30k salary wise and I can't afford it. I'll probably sit the online tests out of curiousity, but I won;t bother with interviews if I manage to get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateron

Executive Officer 2019 in Revenue - Tax, Audit and Compliance - Nationwide

The competition opened on the 25 Sept and closed on the 18 Oct 2019. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the process and progress of the campaign.

This is an open competition for appointment to the position of executive officer (EO) working as part of a tax, audit and compliance team.

Stage 1 - Unsupervised online tests to include (late October 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning
    • Chat Assess

Stage 2 - Supervised online tests to include (early November 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning

Stage 3 - Final competitive, competency based interview (November/December 2019).

Executive Officers may be required to complete Revenue’s trainee auditor programme. This consists of carrying out Revenue interventions as part of practical training together with an academic qualification, accredited by a recognised academic institution and/or professional body for which you will be required to successfully complete all relevant exams. This training will commence in January and September 2020 and will take approximately three years to complete.

See Information Booklet attached.

Thanks for starting this thread.
    This competition is also being ran internally in Revenue. Its the same process as open.
    Good luck to everyone.

I had applied but don't think I'll bother proceeding. The job looks right up my street but I'd be dropping from 38k to 30k salary wise and I can't afford it. I'll probably sit the online tests out of curiousity, but I won;t bother with interviews if I manage to get that far.

Similar situation to myself, would be less money and a longer commute. I'd have a big decision to make if I was offered a position as current job might not be there in a years time so need to start thinking long term. The job security, qualification provided, variety of the role and career progression/defined path provided are all tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

You could end up in a few different locations so commute time could vary dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Logged my interest in this last week but received no confirmation email, did anybody receive confirmation yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Logged my interest in this last week but received no confirmation email, did anybody receive confirmation yet?

Not yet either, but in the booklet it says "an e-mail confirming receipt of your application by 25 October 2019" so probably more the end of this week.

They were checking the details received yesterday already, so yes probably will be emailed by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

Hi All,

Have anyone received the confirmation email?
    I hope that they will give us enough time to practice the tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dilw2

Nothing yet, it did say the 25th though

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

It's the 25th. Still no email. I only did the register your interest with the survey monkey bit. Did I miss out on something!?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

milhous wrote: »
    It's the 25th. Still no email. I only did the register your interest with the survey monkey bit. Did I miss out on something!?

In fairness it's not even 9am yet. If this is your first experience of civil service recruitment you're in for a shock, nothing happens quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

Haha, Jaysus were you expecting it at midnight on the 25th? Calm down there a bit!

It's not an automated response

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

JamPack wrote: »
    Haha, Jaysus were you expecting it at midnight on the 25th? Calm down there a bit!

It's not an automated response

To be fair, it's increasing their workload as it says if you don't receive an email by the 25th call them.
    Given that's its a Friday of the bank holiday weekend, and that in the booklet the online tests are arranged for the end of October when would you suggest getting in touch?

Also it should be an automated response? Wasn't it just a register your interest kinda thing?

To be fair, it's increasing their workload as it says if you don't receive an email by the 25th call them.
    Given that's its a Friday of the bank holiday weekend, and that in the booklet the online tests are arranged for the end of October when would you suggest getting in touch?

Also it should be an automated response? Wasn't it just a register your interest kinda thing?

I assume we'll hear by the end of the day, it'll probably be the link to the online tests. So if keeping with the timeline posted above, we'll have until end of next week to complete them

I just got the email inviting me to do the unsupervised tests. If you havent gotten them, hopefully you will get them by the end of the day. If i remember rightly from the AO comp, it took a few hours for them all to come out, throughout the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 QuinnK80

Just received an email, online assessment to be completed by 1pm 31st Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mopsy06

Got an email regarding the unsupervised tests also ðŸ˜ðŸ€žðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Trips

Hi all,
    What's the work like as an 'EO in tax, audit & compliance' with Revenue?

Bit on myself... I previously got through "qualification" for AO, but didn't make the final cut.
    I then tried for general Civil Service CO, and got that, was offered Revenue, but as I was a TCO in Welfare /DEASP at the time, and stayed there. Reason for that was that I was told (rightly or wrongly, I dunno) that a CO position in Revenue is basically like working in a Call Centre.
    And I'm now trying for an EO position.

So, if anyone can clarify the following regarding 'EO in tax, audit & compliance':
    1 - is it like working in a call centre?
    2 - what is the job like if not like a call centre?
    3 - Assessments:
    3.1 - Any tips on the "Chat Assess" part? ...I think I did something like this for the AO position, where it was all about prioritising your responses to emails and chat bots. Is the "ChatAssess" like that? Again, any tips, or links to practice websites out there?
    3.2 - Any tips on the numerical and verbal reasoning? I did subscribe to get access to careersservices.ie's practice tests, but they are all for Clerical and Administrative levels, with no EO level practice tests. Again any tips on finding EO level practice tests... all very much appreciated!

Good luck to everyone applying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

1. Nothing like a call centre. You might never take a call in the job.

2. First 6 months is all training. Very little on the job.

3. Look at who is talking to you. It matters a lot.

3.2 Practice.

Thanks for your response to 1, 2, 3.1 :)

Of course practice, yes. My question on 3.2 was for any tips or links on where to practice, cheers!

Trips wrote: »
    Thanks for your response to 1, 2, 3.1 :)

Of course practice, yes. My question on 3.2 was for any tips or links on where to practice, cheers!

There are links to practice posted further up the thread. Theres also a link in the email sent out today

dilw2 wrote: »
    There are links to practice posted further up the thread. Theres also a link in the email sent out today

Thanks.
    I've done those practice Verbal & Numerical tests at - http://getstarted.cut-e.com/home/ - before and was hoping for maybe any other links out there, if there are any. I've had no luck looking myself.

And i've read the ChatAssess blurb available, was wondering if there are any other practices available for that.... I guess not at this stage.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I took an hour this morning to get through the 3 tests.

I was happy enough with the numerical reasoning test. I got 30 of the 37 tasks complete and guessed the remaining 7

I was very disappointed with verbal reasoning test. I got a bit flustered in the 1st minute and it through me off completely. I got about 35 answered and guessed the remaining ones.

Chat assess was quite simple I thought. Breezed through it. I think I made a slight mistake though in that I should have answered the emails for the senior staffer in priority, but I got his tranche of emails finished 2nd, so I'm sure it won't have too much of an effect.

This really could have come at a better time other than over the midterm lol :D

• Advertisement

I took an hour this morning to get through the 3 tests.

I was happy enough with the numerical reasoning test. I got 30 of the 37 tasks complete and guessed the remaining 7

I was very disappointed with verbal reasoning test. I got a bit flustered in the 1st minute and it through me off completely. I got about 35 answered and guessed the remaining ones.

Chat assess was quite simple I thought. Breezed through it. I think I made a slight mistake though in that I should have answered the emails for the senior staffer in priority, but I got his tranche of emails finished 2nd, so I'm sure it won't have too much of an effect.

Cut-e use negative marking/scores for incorrect answers, this would not have been advisable.

Advertisement