Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Financial Student Support

• 16-10-2019 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    Can anyone give me some advice on financial support my son can avail of please.
    My son has started college this September but wasn't entitled to the SUSI grant because 2 years ago he received the grant but didn't complete the year because he realised the course wasn't for him. He took a year out and returned to college this year.
    He was not awarded the grant because he had recieved a grant for the first year in his previous course. We have had to try get the money together ourselves.
    And to add to this, he was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last year brought on by stress due to financial worries. I see this worry set in again and I'm concerned for his health, is there any financial support he may be entitled to? He has a part time job which just covers travel, lunch and loan repayments, which is very tight, is there any other help for him he can avail of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

when in the year did he officially drop out of the course?

From Susi:

Repeat Period of Study
    If you are a student who is repeating a year on the same course then you are not eligible for a grant,
    however,
    if you previously undertook a further or higher education course but left prior to finishing, you may be eligible for a portion of a student grant once you have completed an equivalent period of study.

So he may receive the grant from the month he officially left.

There is also the student assist fund he could apply for (ask the student union for details)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Becks2005

It was a couple of months after Christmas when he left!

He also got a bill for €800 yesterday for tuition fees on top of the €3000!

This is a huge struggle and a worry for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭claregal1

Hi , I would advise him to appeal the decision with Susi. My son also dropped out of his course the first year he was in college at Christmas time and got the grant the following year when he went back to do a different course . If he is struggling financially at the moment with rent etc , the student finance office in his college will help him

Unless he moved into a higher level course this year, it’s unlikely he’ll get an appeal as they won’t pay for the same level of study twice (as far as I know)
    Unless he left by the cut off dates to drop out.
    but
    He might get the grant for his last couple of months, from whatever month he got his last payment when he left previously

Apply for the student assist fund in the college to help with the 800€ and then see can he pay off the remainder between now and the end of the term
    hopefully he’ll be eligible for maintenance grant from couple months after Christmas
    Then he’ll get his grant from 2nd year on, as he hasn’t done 2nd year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Becks2005

He appealled it and it was denied again due to him been given the grant on his first year.

He applied with the student finance but didn't hear anything but anyone who was approved got it already. He said he has a meeting with them in November!

• Advertisement

The college finance are usually helpful good luck with his meeting

Advertisement