Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dolittle

Options
  • 13-10-2019 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭

After losing his wife seven years earlier, the eccentric Dr. John Dolittle (Downey), famed doctor and veterinarian of Queen Victoria’s England, hermits himself away behind the high walls of Dolittle Manor with only his menagerie of exotic animals for company. But when the young queen (Jessie Buckley) falls gravely ill, a reluctant Dolittle is forced to set sail on an epic adventure to a mythical island in search of a cure, regaining his wit and courage as he crosses old adversaries and discovers wondrous creatures

The live action actors.
    Robert Downey Jr. as Dr. John Dolittle, a veterinarian who has the ability to speak to animals.
    Harry Collett as Tommy Stubbins, Dolittle's self-appointed apprentice.
    Antonio Banderas as Rassouli
    Michael Sheen as Mudfly
    Jim Broadbent
    Jessie Buckley as Queen Victoria
    Ralph Ineson as Arnall Stubbins
    Kasia Smutniak

The animals voices.
    John Cena as Yoshi, an up-beat polar bear who wears a hat and bickers with Plimpton.
    Marion Cotillard as Tutu, a fox.
    Carmen Ejogo as Regine, a lioness.
    Ralph Fiennes as Barry, a tiger.
    Selena Gomez as Betsy, a giraffe.
    Tom Holland as Jip, a dog who wears glasses.
    Rami Malek as Chee-Chee, an anxious gorilla.
    Kumail Nanjiani as Plimpton, a cynical ostrich who bickers with Yoshi.
    Craig Robinson as Fleming, a mouse.
    Octavia Spencer as Dab-Dab, an enthusiastic but bird-brained duck.
    Emma Thompson as Polynesia, Dr. Dolittle's headstrong parrot who's his most trusted advisor and confidante.
    Frances de la Tour as Ginko-Who-Soars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

What's next, a white Nutty Professor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, every few years Hollywood takes another stab at Dolittle; it's one of those public domain properties that persists yet for some reason I can't quite work out the why. It ain't that interesting, at least not enough to hang a 2 hour film off.

Most odd is this being Downey's first post-MCU job: he hardly needs the cash, so I'm surprised he's jumping back into a green-screen blockbuster so soon. Had expected him to pop up in a few indie / prestige flicks first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That trailer music is awful. An awful cover that feels like it was added to the wrong movie.

Has left me no desire to see it, despite the fact I'll bet this movie is actually a wise-cracking animal crowd-pleaser.

But enough with the CGI animals already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha why is he talking like Little finger? That accent is hilarious :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

nix wrote: »
    haha why is he talking like Little finger? That accent is hilarious :pac::D

Isn't it? I wonder is that why there was so little dialogue in the trailer, that they're scrambling to do recording some ADR, or not wanting the driving chatter to be over his wonky accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm guessing Rob and his missus Susan are producers too

Trailer people: let's add a surprise in at the end

Trailer advertising people: let's ruin the surprise in the first 5 seconds

Here's a direct link to 5 seconds into the
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjm6rDgKNMY&feature=youtu.be&t=5

or here's the trailer from the start:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Me a few months ago whilst rewatching Zodiac: "Hopefully RDJ can star in more stuff like this now he's out of the MCU!"

Me Now:

giphy.gif

Early contender for 2020s list of box office flops?

• Advertisement

The dragon move would certainly suggest they are worried

Reviews are coming in...

Oh dear

Hopefully just an aberration and Downey picks up some better roles in his post MCU career. We know he can act, but this is a weird one to take off the bat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

major bomb, expected loss in the $150m range, ouch!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Only way they could save it is to add a post credits scene where it’s revealed this is Sherlock on an Opium binge come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Looks a prime Razzies candidate.

Says a lot about the lack of pull major stars have. This is RDJ coming off the back of Iron Man FFS. He is as big a name as there is.

This needed to take half a billion to break even. Shockingly deluded.

"Star Power" barely exists anymore. It's all about the franchises and Shared Universes, whether we like 'em or not. There are a few outliers like The Rock who seem to attract audiences but by and large hooking a giant budgeted movie on a star is incredibly outdated.

Perhaps "Doolittle" might be this generation's "Hello Dolly!" and finally kill the mega-budget blockbuster off? One can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Old thread I know but its on RTE at the moment. My God, it truly is atrocious for all kinds of reasons. Downey is absolutely abysmal in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Azatadine wrote: »
    Old thread I know but its on RTE at the moment. My God, it truly is atrocious for all kinds of reasons. Downey is absolutely abysmal in this.
    His accent.....it's meant to be Welsh.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

gmisk wrote: »
    His accent.....it's meant to be Welsh.....lol

I was wondering about that. Couldn't quite tie it down but thought it was likely supposed to be Welsh. My God, I actually think its one of the worst movies I've ever seen and the worst ever performance by a well regarded actor!!

Advertisement