Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My phone is being monitored by an malicious hacker, what can I do in a legal sense?

Options
  • 13-10-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

The icons on my phone move around at times, videos play by themselves when my phone is next to me and when reading posts on Reddit at times the screen will scroll down by itself. I've also heard odd sounds when talking to my cousins over the phone which don't come from me or my cousins.

This has been going on for more than half a year, I feel like this person is stalking me and monitoring my activities. What can I do? I was thinking of getting the Gardaí and have them forensically look at the phone to detect the intrusion and go from there. (i'm not using my main account or using my phone, i'm posting in a web cafe)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Do a factory reset and change your sim card and number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its far more likely that your phone has a digitiser fault than you are being monitored.

Is your phone rooted? Have you checked for any spurious apps that have superuser access?
    Turn off auto play and related settings in Reddit and other SM apps.
    Check your bootloader lock status.

Back up all personal files and data from your handset and factory reset with full wipe then set up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In a legal sense...
    You can report your concern to the Gardaí, who will take possession of your phone to investigate and will likely hold it until either the case is completed or the DPP decide not to prosecute.

You can if you can provide a reasonable degree of evidence that an identifiable person is behind this issue, seek an injunction?
    One of the more learned here could confirm.

In case 1 a new phone to use whilst your current is "evidence" and sharing all info on your current handset with the Gardaí.

In case 2, extremely deep pockets.

Have you taken it to one of your local tech repair shops to make sure it isnt just a nuisance app or something minor?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

The icons on my phone move around at times, videos play by themselves when my phone is next to me and when reading posts on Reddit at times the screen will scroll down by itself. I've also heard odd sounds when talking to my cousins over the phone which don't come from me or my cousins.

What sounds are you hearing on calls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sounds like a cracked screen doing ghost presses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Is it a Samsung with air gestures enabled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Terminator101

tedpan wrote: »
    What sounds are you hearing on calls?

The sound of a man mumbling and keypads being pressed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Very strange..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

If a hacker had hacked your phone they wouldnr have a microphone on listening to your calls.

I am currently studying cyber security and wouldnt be aware of many things that do what your describing unless your handset is bricked and was left unaccompanied for a while,then technically it would be possible. It's most likely (if anything untoward) malware on your phone from an unscrupulous app.

Factory reset your phone and you'll be fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement