Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agreed, I think the detail and the texture on the lower are more pleasing.

The top one is nice but strikes me as a bit sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Lower for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Aye, the lower one just looks more attractive to me.

Fair Play, ThirdFox, that's a huge achievement to get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Lower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Lower one for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lower one for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Second one

I should have posted this as my original reply🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I think the best description I heard so far was the lower one looks like an old wax seal effect and the top one looks more like a tattoo/frosted glass - clean and clear but less "mechanical".

I think it's clear now that my personal preference is for the lower one too.

Probably with the S in textured finishing too rather than having a little bit of polished surface on the S.

The bezel ring (one of the only parts that is in steel) will be sandblasted too to better resemble stone effect for the Ogham text. So having other "sandblasted" finish parts is in keeping with the design too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I prefer the lower one, it looks a little softer.

Now, can that clasp be made to work with a rubber strap? You were discussing a while back pricing options and creep on the equinox. The Tungsten bracelet is a significant cost on your BOM. A rubber strap option might give those that are price sensitive an option, especially if the bracelet was available separately down the line.

I though about the balance issue and found that Hublot do a tungsten case on rubber, the big bang aero bang, 44mm case, which must be hefty.

The trick I suppose is to find a stock band that fits both your case and clasp. It wouldn't work if you got landed with the cost of a mould.

Post edited by njburke on

The supplier really doesn't want to go with what he considers the failed clasp etch - I can understand from his viewpoint that if something is considered a "defective" product he wouldn't want to release it - am still in talks with him.

Here is an image of the assembled clasp piece (using the "frosted" logo) and look if I had never seen the deeper etched version this is nice and pretty - it could be a Western/Eastern tastes factor too as my wife says the frosted version looks more "high end" too.

And two videos of the clasp in motion:

I'm personally extremely pleased with how the tungsten finishing has turned out and can understand the appeal about the mirrored surface logo - but still want to get the deeper etched one (at least for the review prototypes and we can decide ultimately which version to go for in the production model).

@njburke - thanks for the suggestion - let me have a think and see if that is something can be pursued.

Post edited by Thirdfox on

I think it looks better in the videos than in the origional picture and your right if I hadn't seen the other version I'd be saying that one is great don't change it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jesus I've been over and back to page 50-51 at least 6 times. To me the top one looks sharper and clearer(?). Has everyone else been put off by the smudge line above the engraving perhaps. Going against the herd here, top picture for me, but in the video I can't see the difference.....need to go to specsavers now.

I don't have any watches on a bracelet, mainly because of work, too easy to catch them jumping out of a cab or jump starting a tractor, but for this I'll make an exception. Maybe have an option to get both a bracelet and rubber strap.

Edit; please put that (deployant) clasp on the rubber bracelet if possible......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Bit late in responding but the lower one for me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Hope everyone had a good Christmas - my supplier got in touch with these bezel photos today - I think they've turned out exactly as I envisioned them - you can really see the difference in brightness between the C3 X1 "pip" and two no-deco time limits and the default bgw9 lumed markers. The green/black motif should work well with either the malachite or the onyx options too.

It'll probably be a few more weeks before I can see something akin to the final product - but some further progress being made on the Equinox prototypes.

Stunning TF, absolutely stunning. Really great to see your vision on this one coming together.

I hope you and the family had a lovely X-Mas too!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Looks great, I am looking forward to seeing the full thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Insert looks great, the two ndl limits stand out well. I Can't wait to see the rest of it come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Hi Diyu.

I got my starlight before Christmas, and I've spent the last few weeks getting used to it.

The watch is beautiful, the salmon leather strap is fantastic. It's very easy wearing, to the point , that you forget you're wearing it.

It's been over 30 years since I've worn a watch full time, and I've gotten out out of the habit of actually looking at one. I'm still getting used to the idea of looking at a watch rather than my phone.

It's made me realise that I really need a luminous dial to make it practical. So I guess I'm possibly looking at the Equinox....

You've done a great job so far, all the best to yourself and your family, in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Saw my first Starlight in the wild the other day. Lovely to see it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pm5720268

Bumping this to see if there's any further news on Model numero 2 & a likely release date / price etc 🤞

Eagerly awaiting as the pictures/renders so far look amazing.

Thanks

Hey PM - I haven't visited boards in quite a while so only saw your message now. Equinox development is plodding along much slower than anticipated - the COVID lockdowns still occurring in Guangzhou keeps things interesting (compared to how much life has gotten back "to normal" here). I hope to have some more details to share in due course. In terms of the various elements I think we are getting close to having the prototypes assembled - I hope to have some photos from the factories (I'm using two instead of one this time round which has increased turnaround time considerably) in the next while.

Family time is taking up quite a bit of time too - it's a good way of keeping track of passage of time - no longer a newborn but getting close to 10 months old now, how time flies 😊

Bumpity bump 🤞🤞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi @Thirdfox, hope life is treating you well. Any updates on the watches, by chance?

Advertisement