Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison life

Options
  • 11-10-2019 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey
    Does anyone have any tips for a person going to prison when the person has worked for the hse for 12 years any help with life in there and also tips for support on outside for partner with a kid and tips for having loans going in dere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Yes but not legal advice, for that see a solicitor,

On a personal note, things are never as bad as they seem and all this will pass in time. In the meantime see citizens advice, FLAC, definitely a solicitor and if possible a financial adviser about any loans.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You are generally looked after better then any citizen of the state, great healthcare, food, lodgings, Sky Sports in your cell. I wouldn't worry about it. Medical card and free travel when you are released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

There was a good thread on AMA some while back about a guys experience in jail - have a read through, he seemed like a normal joe soap who never experienced it before,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What relevance has the 12 years in the hse as detailed? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You are generally looked after better then any citizen of the state, great healthcare, food, lodgings, Sky Sports in your cell. I wouldn't worry about it. Medical card and free travel when you are released.
    I think it's safe to say that Atlantic Dawn has never set foot inside a prison, or spoken to anyone who has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that Atlantic Dawn has never set foot inside a prison, or spoken to anyone who has.

Tell us about your stay in prison so....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gozunda wrote: »

They are already institutionalised ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

what are you going in for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Did you touch a girls arm too op??

Context: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111473916

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

After speaking to a couple of lads that have done time, it doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs and luxury as depicted by some, keeping yourself going seems to be the thing, engaging in whatever programs are available, from work related to education etc, keeping fit is also good, keeping your mind active is key, resist all engagement with negative aspects, including drug use, and to be aware, prison is where we keep the real predators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For your families sake and your own stay away from drugs and keep your head down.

Don't get involved in others business and try and get onto work details such as kitchen or laundry etc to get the time passed by much quicker.

You will be allowed certain perks in the cell and if you are a model prisoner that will go a long way on how you are treated also.

TV in cell and radio is normal enough and consoles tend to be older gen depending.

Don't bring in anything illegally for others or yourself.

If you have loans etc you need to speak with the bank or credit union etc.
    Get a good solicitor if not done already and as above citizens info for any questions or help.

Try and stay positive for kid and wife especially on visits if that applies.

If your wife is in a position to give money towards things that will be a big plus as you can get some nice products such as shaving foam, creams etc or sweets and so on.

Not really much else one can do and on the legal advice end you most likely had that covered at trial or hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

beat up a guy who has no friends. I know this from watching 25th Hour. Also don't join a gang, but do make friends. I learnt that from American History X.

They throw drugs over the wall in Limerick so you don't need to shove things up your bum. (But yeah don't do drugs anyway just saying.)You'll learn to make your bed very neatly and regularly. They have different areas for different types of prisoners. So if you're a crusty they'll put you with crusties, if you're a traveler you'll be with travellers and so on. I learnt those things from a guy who was in the prison in Limerick.

(Not really advocating violence just making a pop culture reference.)

Don't try to get moved to 5b if you're in Limerick. It is worse than prison and also worse than Dundrum. Dundrum is supposed to be quite ok actually. I have that from multiple sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

All hyperbole and downright untruths.

Serving as a PO myself. You'll be fine. You sound like a decent sort. People who've worked and their whole lives and aren't involved in trouble are generally left alone.

My advice would be to get yourself into a workshop or obtain a job in the kitchen. The benefits of this are many. You'll be working through the day occupying yourself rather than idly sitting at a cell wall thinking all sorts or walking laps of a yard listening to gangster stories.

It'll look favourable for you when review meetings come up for things like transfers, early release or days out. You'll have small little perks that others don't get too.

You'll meet a Governor upon committal. Explain to him/her where you're at and you'll be put somewhere accordingly if they're worth their salt.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Milkman1992

gozunda wrote: »

Just can i claim anything back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As in?

Pension and so on will be there, are you planning on looking for employment when you get back out?

If you are owed and holidays or pay that should be all sorted and I'm guessing your employment has been terminated.

Caranica wrote: »
    In what way?

From the tax i paid

From the tax i paid

the tax which will be used to fund you being a burden on the state?

Omackeral wrote: »
    All hyperbole and downright untruths.

Serving as a PO myself. You'll be fine. You sound like a decent sort. People who've worked and their whole lives and aren't involved in trouble are generally left alone.

My advice would be to get yourself into a workshop or obtain a job in the kitchen. The benefits of this are many. You'll be working through the day occupying yourself rather than idly sitting at a cell wall thinking all sorts or walking laps of a yard listening to gangster stories.

It'll look favourable for you when review meetings come up for things like transfers, early release or days out. You'll have small little perks that others don't get too.

You'll meet a Governor upon committal. Explain to him/her where you're at and you'll be put somewhere accordingly if they're worth their salt.

Good luck.

How about education while your inside

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gwalk wrote: »

'a burden on the the state', lovely, great intelligence there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Watch the Shawshank Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Watch Shaun Attwood's youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hey
    Does anyone have any tips for a person going to prison when the person has worked for the hse for 12 years any help with life in there and also tips for support on outside for partner with a kid and tips for having loans going in dere

Hi OP
    Will you be returning to your job on release, or has/will your employment be terminated when you go to prison?
    You personally are not entitled to any SW payment while you are in prison but your partner can claim OPF/Jobseekers transition subject to the usual conditions.
    If you have personal loans, mortgage etc that you can’t pay while you are away then the best thing to do is go to MABS and bring details of your outgoings and income etc and they will help you to sort it out.
    Best of luck.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'a burden on the the state', lovely, great intelligence there!

are you saying that prisoners do not cost the state a significant financial amount?

if so please provide your findings that supports this

also please do not personally attack me and challenge my intelect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How long are you going in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

How long are you going in for?
    , and if I may be so bold as to ask, what offence were you convicted of. I'm just being nosey.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Ok g walk can you keep that kind of stuff to yourself . Dont try to comment on some situation if you dont know full story

Ok g walk can you keep that kind of stuff to yourself . Dont try to comment on some situation if you dont know full story

share the full story?

youre obviously going in for a reason

are you saying that prisoners do not cost the state a significant financial amount?

if so please provide your findings that supports this

also please do not personally attack me and challenge my intelect
    God you need to cop on too your views . And just think everyone hasnt a perfect life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

To be fair to the OP he is trying to ensure that he has his affairs in order while he can. Many people heading to prison couldn’t care less what mess they leave family, debts etc in.

Advertisement