Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a white line u turn

Options
  • 09-10-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Wife did this the other day pretty sure was a detective standing nearby
    Do they have to approach you to give u a ticket

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

torrevieja wrote: »
    Wife did this the other day pretty sure was a detective standing nearby
    Do they have to approach you to give u a ticket

Thanks in advance

I would think your wife is fine, plain clothes members /detectives usually don't bother themselves with road traffic infringements. But to answer your question, yes for the majority of road traffic offences they will stop you before issuing a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

torrevieja wrote: »
    pretty sure was a detective standing nearby.

He’s probably just building a case against your wife. Making sure he has enough evidence before any impending arrest and trial takes place.

Mod
    Whoa there, Effects. Neither arrest nor trial likely here

Sorry. I was only joking. He would have pulled her in at the time if he was going to do anything.
    I've been pulled by a detective before. They usually just give you a telling off as they have more important things to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Effects wrote: »
    Sorry. I was only joking. He would have pulled her in at the time if he was going to do anything.
    I've been pulled by a detective before. They usually just give you a telling off as they have more important things to be doing.

I know u were cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Effects wrote: »

More likely that they don't have a good working knowledge of traffic regulations so would be terrified of going in front of a district justice to prosecute such a case in case they made a fool of themselves.

And your average detective would consider it beneath him/her to issue a RTA summons. So if a plain clothes Garda pulled me over on a perceived traffic violation, I'd be polite and all that but I'd be 99.99% certain that there would be no subsequent prosecution.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    More likely that they don't have a good working knowledge of traffic regulations so would be terrified of going in front of a district justice to prosecute such a case in case they made a fool of themselves.

And your average detective would consider it beneath him/her to issue a RTA summons.

We both pretty much said the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Think your wife should do the decent thing and hand herself in.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

source wrote: »
    I would think your wife is fine, plain clothes members /detectives usually don't bother themselves with road traffic infringements. But to answer your question, yes for the majority of road traffic offences they will stop you before issuing a ticket.

But do they have to Stop You or can they just issue a Ticket, i know someone who was issued one and they were not Stopped or Appproached ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

faolteam wrote: »
    But do they have to Stop You or can they just issue a Ticket, i know someone who was issued one and they were not Stopped or Appproached ?

Technically no, they could well say the observed but it is Ireland so the norm is they stop you there and then....

Usually the one to worry about is the speeding ticket from the gatso van....

Advertisement