Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Divine Comedy - Bord Gais - Sunday 6th Oct 2019

Options
  • 07-10-2019 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Was at this gig last night. Slightly disappointed. Not nearly as good as the previous show I saw in The Olympia in Dec 2017. The main problem is the new album , which is full of smart arse synthesiser songs that don't suit him. He played 12 songs off this album. Now when he played the older stuff, he was very good indeed. Highlights for me were 'Lady Of A Certain Age', 'Tonight We Fly', 'I Like', 'To The Rescue' and 'Something For The weekend'. Disappointed not to hear 'Bad Ambassador'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Hi. Was at this gig last night. Slightly disappointed. Not nearly as good as the previous show I saw in The Olympia in Dec 2017. The main problem is the new album , which is full of smart arse synthesiser songs that don't suit him. He played 12 songs off this album. Now when he played the older stuff, he was very good indeed. Highlights for me were 'Lady Of A Certain Age', 'Tonight We Fly', 'I Like', 'To The Rescue' and 'Something For The weekend'. Disappointed not to hear 'Bad Ambassador'

Have to disagree here. It was a phenomenal gig. The new album is flawless. It was fantastic to watch them perform some of the new songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

I was pretty disappointed also. The main issue for me was not the new album (which I don't really like, but the tour is for the album so it is expected to hear a lot from it) but simply how badly prepared they seemed to be, and the mistakes that came from this - it was only because of his charm that they survived it.

Didn't one of the band take the p*ss out of him after one of the synthesiser songs?

I got the impression that Neil Hannon was embarassed walking off stage, and probably glad to get to the end of it.

I was in one of the boxes so had a birds eye view of some incidents. For example, the over-zealous staff flashing torches at people in the front rows who tried to video anything (this seemed to be catching Neil Hannon's eye too and guessing it must have been very offputting).

Disappointing experience overall. Not sure it's a great venue for their type of act. A standing venue could have allowed him to keep the crowd going. A smaller venue may have better suited the first night of the tour.

On a positive note - Songs of Love was incredible!

Peckham wrote: »
    I was pretty disappointed also. The main issue for me was not the new album (which I don't really like, but the tour is for the album so it is expected to hear a lot from it) but simply how badly prepared they seemed to be, and the mistakes that came from this - it was only because of his charm that they survived it.

Didn't one of the band take the p*ss out of him after one of the synthesiser songs?

I got the impression that Neil Hannon was embarassed walking off stage, and probably glad to get to the end of it.

I was in one of the boxes so had a birds eye view of some incidents. For example, the over-zealous staff flashing torches at people in the front rows who tried to video anything (this seemed to be catching Neil Hannon's eye too and guessing it must have been very offputting).

Disappointing experience overall. Not sure it's a great venue for their type of act. A standing venue could have allowed him to keep the crowd going. A smaller venue may have better suited the first night of the tour.

On a positive note - Songs of Love was incredible!

Agreed on the venue. It doesn't suit them. Being able to stand and dance properly would have been nice. The gestapo with their torches didn't help.

There were a couple of mistakes alright. But forgivable given it was the first night of the tour. Some of the songs on the new album are difficult to perfect live and perpahps they needed this gig to bed them in. One less so forgivable was the lead guitarist playing in a different key to the rest of the band for 30 seconds or so. It was strange.

Twas nice to hear Europop. A little disappointed not to hear You'll Never Work in this Town Again. But overall a most enjoyable night and delighted it was laden with newer material whilst still including some classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Wasn't a patch on the Olympia show in December 2017

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Wasn't a patch on the Olympia show in December 2017

Missed that gig. Would love to get to see them play there sometime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Norman And Norma’

Great lyrics :)

Advertisement