Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case reporting at H.C, CCA level?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭

A question for the more learned members here.

I'm browsing a few of the legal databases looking for a particular CCA judgement but having zero luck.

Is it a case that where a conviction is quashed?
    That the ruling isn't actually reported or available?

The origInal case was a circuit course matter resulting in conviction, with the conviction quashed in appeal.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Appeals from the Circuit Criminal Court are heard in the High Court. If it's a sexual offence, the name of the accused won't be published but it's usually the accused's initials.

It can be difficult to find cases on free databases because only a fraction are reported in any event and most reported cases are in paywall DBs. Also, the majority of cases don't result in a written judgment.

If there is a written judgment however, the Courts Service publishes them on its website. The search functionality is minimal but if you happen across the right keyword then you can use it to find your case. Sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

OP, in terms of published judgements by the Courts Service as mentioned by hullaballoo I find the Bailii site to be more user friendly than the CS one for searching cases:-

https://www.bailii.org

It will return more searches than the CS database using simpler search words meaning it is easier to find what your looking for, just set your search for Ireland or use the advanced search to search each specific court, but remember unless there is a written judgement from the CCA then there won't be one to find.

One benefit I also find over the CS database is Bailii also lists the (very few) written Circuit Court judgements, but they can be hard to find as they are bundled into the HC database.

It really is IMO the best database with free access before you want to start paying out around €1000 per annum for decent database access.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

GM228 wrote: »
    OP, in terms of published judgements by the Courts Service as mentioned by hullaballoo I find the Bailii site to be more user friendly than the CS one for searching cases:-

https://www.bailii.org

It will return more searches than the CS database using simpler search words meaning it is easier to find what your looking for, just set your search for Ireland or use the advanced search to search each specific court, but remember unless there is a written judgement from the CCA then there won't be one to find.

One benefit I also find over the CS database is Bailii also lists the (very few) written Circuit Court judgements, but they can be hard to find as they are bundled into the HC database.

It really is IMO the best database with free access before you want to start paying out around €1000 per annum for decent database access.

I actually have Justisone and westlaw and a few others, access thanks to resuming my collegiate studies.

Its quite a while since I've used a legal database and getting myself back into the groove of Boolean searching is taking me longer to get to grips with than I thought.

Was quite surprised to find a case cited by my prof regarding the establishment and relevance of the mens tea for a criminal act had quite a close family connection.
    Was aware of the case of course, but not its seeming importance in shaping common law.

The other case I'm trying to find detail on is also family related, more of assisting a person concerned dig up the quashing as part of their book research ;)

No joy yet, but TBH I've yet to have a real good look.

The media reporting for the case indicates the conviction was quashed in the CCA but I can find no mention of it.
    That said, I've only searched in a quite limited fashion so far, namely by year and court rather than any other detail.

Advertisement