Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do licensees in rented accommodation still legally exist?

Options
  • 06-10-2019 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am the only person in my rented accomodation that pays rent directly to the landlord. Others in the house are there at my invitation and pay their share of the rent to me each, monthly.

The people Im sharing with I know in the past would have been legally considered licensees and had no rights essentially. I know the new legislation that came in over the summer changed a lot and one amendment (section 37) I think seems to negate the existence of licensees except for in student accommodation.

Am I right in thinking this is the case? And where does that leave me as regards responsibilities to pay the full amount of rent each month if the others are now automatically considered tenants?

Is very hard to find any information on this, and I have someone taking the piss with how they want to pay their last months rent before moving out so need to be clear on my rights and responsibilities as they are now. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Licencees do/must exist, if someone lives in an owners home, hotels, B&Bs,

Your situation Id say depends on whether you have permission, how long the licencees are there and if they have been requested to become tenants,which I think the landlord can still refuse. From what you say, Id say you are fully liable for the rent, by the sounds of it,

If a person living there is dicking you around regarding payment, then get the locks changed and inform the landlord/give them a key.

You havent specified how they are dicking you around? if its that they will pay at the end of the month, tell them to fcuk right off but more politely, basically be form and clear they pay as usual.

Do you hold their deposits? or landlord, dont return anything until all is paid and even then if it appears there will be a shortfall, chuck them out, dont lose 1 euro over it never mind the time and hassle some welchers will put you through,

Advertisement