Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

naturalisation

Options
  • 05-10-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a friend from Eastern Europe (EU Member) who has lived & worked here for the last 15 years, but as a non Irish he is paid less then his counterparts. Now he is a good worker & his boss loves him as his family are at home so he has no problem working long hours 6 days a week.

But talking with him, if he got irish citizenship, his standing in the workplace/ quality of life/ future would greatly improve. I do not see why he would not get citizenship but I am not a legal person and don't know the process so any advice would be grateful on getting the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The INIS website guides you through the process, there's a lot of documentation to gather so the sooner he starts the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Doublin wrote: »
    I have a friend from Eastern Europe (EU Member) who has lived & worked here for the last 15 years, but as a non Irish he is paid less then his counterparts.

That should not be the case. Your friend might have a case for discrimination, I assume he is not in a union?

Try reading this..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi,

I have a friend from Eastern Europe (EU Member) who has lived & worked here for the last 15 years, but as a non Irish he is paid less then his counterparts. Now he is a good worker & his boss loves him as his family are at home so he has no problem working long hours 6 days a week.

But talking with him, if he got irish citizenship, his standing in the workplace/ quality of life/ future would greatly improve. I do not see why he would not get citizenship but I am not a legal person and don't know the process so any advice would be grateful on getting the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance

If, because he’s not irish, he’s not being paid the same as his colleague doing the same job with exactly the same conditions then his employer is discriminating against him contrary to the Equality Act and he needs to address this immediately as its very serious.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/equality_in_the_workplace.html

If his employer doesn’t respect him now after all these years I’m puzzled as to why you think a sheet of paper declaring him an Irish citizen will make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But talking with him, if he got irish citizenship, his standing in the workplace/ quality of life/ future would greatly improve.

It wouldn't.

I've had an Irish passport for 15 years, and lived here for 12. I'm still a blow-in, and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Well I printed off the CTZ3 naturalisation form, of course he was asked to work today until around 3pm. Wen we meet up for our weekly chess game later we will fill out the form & see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Tell your friend this won’t be a quick fix....I applied for naturalisation/ citizenship last December and still haven’t got it.

Have a look at the first few pages of this thread as well (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997413) which explains why it is taking so long

Well I printed off the CTZ3 naturalisation form, of course he was asked to work today until around 3pm. Wen we meet up for our weekly chess game later we will fill out the form & see what happens

The form he needs to fill is form 8.
    At the moment he is disqualified from applying for Irish citizenship if he was out of the Republic of Ireland, even to go into NI, for even 1 day.
    Because of this, the Dept of Justice are waiting for the government to change the law before they go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Oh did not know this. The company he works for have contracts both North & South so he can be sent either way for a day. Could you link me the form if this would be an issue

Thanks in advance

Oh did not know this. The company he works for have contracts both North & South so he can be sent either way for a day. Could you link me the form if this would be an issue

Thanks in advance

The correct form is form 8. But he shouldn’t apply for citizenship right now if he has been outside the Republic of Ireland in the last 12 months as he will be refused and lose his €175 deposit.

Advertisement