Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas Inspector's shot at MMA takedown

• 30-09-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/videos/luas-ticket-inspectors-scuffle-with-commuter-at-bluebell-stop-38544763.html

An absolute vile individual, even if the person they wrestled to the ground had been acting the idiot with them there were far better ways of de-escalating the situation. People on SM are calling for this man to loose his job but he should be in front of the courts for assault. At the end of the day even if this guys was travelling without paying there are ways and means of dealing with it, two grown men wrestling him to the ground isn't the answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muller1991

From the video it looks like they had a notebook and they young lad was trying to get it off him.

I think he was issued a fine of some sort and it looked like he was trying to grab the fine or book of fines of the RPU ( Revenue Protection Unit). No need for them to react that way at all its a scummy thing to do, Furthermore he looks like he could be under 18.

If the person is underage there will be a major claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

We didn't see what happened before the video. I will reserve judgement until the full facts are known.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Muller1991 wrote: »
    From the video it looks like they had a notebook and they young lad was trying to get it off him.

I think he was issued a fine of some sort and it looked like he was trying to grab the fine or book of fines of the RPU ( Revenue Protection Unit). No need for them to react that way at all its a scummy thing to do, Furthermore he looks like he could be under 18.

If the person is underage there will be a major claim.

According to others the inspector was refusing to return the lads bank card.
    We didn't see what happened before the video. I will reserve judgement until the full facts are known.

That level of violence is enough for me to make judgement, there was no clear danger to the inspector and slamming somebody the way he did was uncalled for no matter what.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do the ticket inspectors receive any training in self defence? not that the video appears to show self defence.
    i had assumed that any sort of proactive physical contact would be specifically left to security staff, that the inspectors would be under instruction not to engage in this manner, in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

According to others the inspector was refusing to return the lads bank card.

That level of violence is enough for me to make judgement, there was no clear danger to the inspector and slamming somebody the way he did was uncalled for no matter what.

Lets say the young lad said he had a knife on him, I presume you would wait for it to produced before acting?

There is clearly more to this and yes it does look excessive but it could be justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Lets say the young lad said he had a knife on him, I presume you would wait for it to produced before acting?

There is clearly more to this and yes it does look excessive but it could be justified.

Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Were passengers locked in the luas?
    Why didn’t anyone intervene?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apart from that being wild speculation, if someone claims they have a knife but has not produced it, are you suggesting that a ticket inspector should try to subdue him?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Addle wrote: »
    Were passengers locked in the luas?
    Why didn’t anyone intervene?

The luas literally pulls away as it is being filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

apart from that being wild speculation, if someone claims they have a knife but has not produced it, are you suggesting that a ticket inspector should try to subdue him?

Wild speculation, hence why people shouldn't judge. Nobody was on the tram he got off or platform to give an informed opinion. So far only his sister has made various claims.

As for inspectors actions, yes especially when he started walking towards him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Only on Boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Unless the rpu agent is under threat there is absolutely no excuse for it. As the video goes it seems the lad was trying to take something from his hand.

I for one wouldnt consider that under threat which would require such violence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just read the headline, Ill hazard a guess that some degenerate was taking the piss as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just read the headline, Ill hazard a guess that some degenerate was taking the piss as usual...

Yeah RPU on power trip,he needs to be sacked

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair play to him. To many scrotes on that line taking the piss. Clearly he was going for the luas lad and he was defending himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Do those rent a cops have authority to manhandle people like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

godtabh wrote: »
    Fair play to him. To many scrotes on that line taking the piss. Clearly he was going for the luas lad and he was defending himself.

See here's the thing, I love in that area and these guys never ever get involved when there's hassle on the Luas from actual scumbags, they call for the security team and cower in the corner. But this lad is clearly a lot smaller so he had no problem slamming him onto the edge of the platform, lucky not seriously injure the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I would be of this opinion as well, these videos always happen well after an initial provocation and to be honest there are a ton of self entitled pricks out there that hurl abuse at revenue staff and actually deserve a slap or two to teach em a lesson as they dont respond to reason only force.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they will have cctv footage from the luas stop, wont be relying on the local scumbags to start the footage after scumbag perpetrator has taken things too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Only on Boards...

Its Schroedinger's knife ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

See here's the thing, I love in that area and these guys never ever get involved when there's hassle on the Luas from actual scumbags, they call for the security team and cower in the corner. But this lad is clearly a lot smaller so he had no problem slamming him onto the edge of the platform, lucky not seriously injure the lad.

Big or small if he was in fear he is justified in what he did in my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

From the footage: Absolutely nothing wrong with that.....like has the world gone mad or something?? Are we supposed to lie down and wait for the cops or what?

That said we don't know the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Inspector was a classic wannabe hard man here - Itching to use all the MMA moves he saw on the telly.

Hope he loses his job, prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

He could have snapped the boys neck against the kerb. That was an out and our body slam rather than trying to subdue him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://www.independent.ie/videos/luas-ticket-inspectors-scuffle-with-commuter-at-bluebell-stop-38544763.html

An absolute vile individual, even if the person they wrestled to the ground had been acting the idiot with them there were far better ways of de-escalating the situation. People on SM are calling for this man to loose his job but he should be in front of the courts for assault. At the end of the day even if this guys was travelling without paying there are ways and means of dealing with it, two grown men wrestling him to the ground isn't the answer

That doesn't look like appropriate force at all... that lad will be dismissed and the assaulted will be compensated.

Nothing about that person assualted or their demeanour looked threatening.

Wannabe hard man in a hi viz... prick

lalababa wrote: »
    From the footage: Absolutely nothing wrong with that.....like has the world gone mad or something?? Are we supposed to lie down and wait for the cops or what?

That said we don't know the situation.

:confused:

He clearly wasn't 'going for him' - he was going after whatever was in the Luas inspector's hand. It was almost Benny Hill like before the neck lock and body slam.

Seemed like he was asking for something back!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Big or small if he was in fear he is justified in what he did in my eye.

Seriously?? Doesn't look like he was afraid to me...
    There was no call for that and it was absolutely not justified. I hope he gets sacked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Admittedly, I don’t get the luas often.
    I’ve seen people fined and not kicked off the luas.
    What happens to have a ‘conversation’ taken outside?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do those rent a cops have authority to manhandle people like that?

No. It's not even the Luas security, they're ticket inspectors.

A bit like a parking warden beating someone up.

There should be a full investigation, of course, but I struggle to think of real world scenarios where that reaction is justifiable.

Advertisement