Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive debt collection- normal?

Options
  • 30-09-2019 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I went bankrupt last year. During that period, I never had any emails, letters or telephone calls from debt collectors seeking payment. However, I have guys following me around quite a lot and also guys driving past my house with roaring engines and beeping horns.

I don't understand any of this. I have three years of law school and I never encountered any of this.

Is there something I need to know? Is this how debt collection works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If they haven't got any money out of you it is obviously not working. Have you complained to the guards about an offence under Section 11 of the NFOAP Act 1997?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

i did but nothing came of it. i moved away and im now in canada. the same thing is happening. i thought they were debt collectors. i've ended up paying back nearly 90 per cent of debts i included my bankruptcy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

It sounds like you've become a "targeted individual". I recommend researching about this because it's more common than people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I went bankrupt last year.
    Was this in Ireland?

Has the process been completed?
    Is this how debt collection works?
    No. The vast majority of debt collection is administrative - letters, emails, phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I went bankrupt last year. During that period, I never had any emails, letters or telephone calls from debt collectors seeking payment. However, I have guys following me around quite a lot and also guys driving past my house with roaring engines and beeping horns.

I don't understand any of this. I have three years of law school and I never encountered any of this.

Is there something I need to know? Is this how debt collection works?
    Maybe they're not debt collectors, but rather aggrieved creditors?

Back in the late middle ages, when I did a bit of insolvency work, I had one client whose limited company, trading locally, had wound up while insolvent, leaving a number of people (including himself) out of pocket. He still lived in the town where all this had happened. I recall him telling me about one evening when he had been approached in his local by one of his company's creditors. "I explained the principle of limited liablity to him" he said, "but he hit me a puck anyway."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

i did but nothing came of it. i moved away and im now in canada. the same thing is happening. i thought they were debt collectors. i've ended up paying back nearly 90 per cent of debts i included my bankruptcy.

Are you saying debt collectors following you from Ireland to Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Couldnt possibly be correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

"Organized Gang Stalking, also known as organized stalking, community harassment, community stalking, is a systemic form of control, which seeks to destroy every aspect of a Targeted Individuals life."

https://gangstalkingmindcontrolcults.com/organized-gang-stalking-what-you-need-to-know-re-overt-harassment/

"Organized Gang Stalking, also known as organized stalking, community harassment, community stalking, is a systemic form of control, which seeks to destroy every aspect of a Targeted Individuals life."

https://gangstalkingmindcontrolcults.com/organized-gang-stalking-what-you-need-to-know-re-overt-harassment/

There must be a considerable amount of money involved for creditors to follow someone the whole way to Canada or failing that hire Canadian stalkers . You’d want fairly good connections in the underworld in Canada to carry this out, Canadians are generally very law abiding citizens .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I hesitate to take at face value anything coming from a website called "gangstalkingmindcontrolcults.com". Just sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I hesitate to take at face value anything coming from a website called "gangstalkingmindcontrolcults.com". Just sayin'.
    S'OK. They got a reply to their nonsense suggestion. That'll probably keep them happy.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I had a similar situation. Not involving debt but involving evidence I gave in a civil suit. The guilty party in the Civil suit made my life hell. They disrupted every aspe t of my life, including my child's and my husband.
    S. I was followed everywhere I went. Husband initially thought I was paronid and it took about a year for him to fully comprehend what was happening. We put our house on market and moved back to ireland. The psycho nuts even tried to interfere with that.

I used some of the cash to sue them. Case is in progress at the moment so it has calmed a but. When I went back for matters relating to the case I had a welcoming committee at the airport.

I reply to another poster yes they do follow you to other countries. The people who do this are narcissistic and will not drop it.

Do yourself a favour and don't fall into the same trap as me. I let it affect my mental health to the point I have had 2 breakdowns and suffer from panic attacks regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

If you went bankrupt in Ireland and the debt is pre bankruptcy contact the official assignee who can and will engage with this creditor and basically tell him that they are breaching the law by contacting you, and that any dividend from the bankruptcy estate will issue via the OA. The OA can take further legal action if required.

However, the details don't add up here so I'm sceptical to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I think you should visit a health professional, and share your fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

If you went bankrupt in Ireland and the debt is pre bankruptcy contact the official assignee who can and will engage with this creditor and basically tell him that they are breaching the law by contacting you, and that any dividend from the bankruptcy estate will issue via the OA. The OA can take further legal action if required.

However, the details don't add up here so I'm sceptical to say the least.

Indeed. A vulture fund sold a debt to another fund and the new fund rang someone. They were very surprised to hear of the bankruptcy and when told to contact the OA, they said no problem. The person never heard from them again.

Victor wrote: »
    Was this in Ireland?

Has the process been completed?

No first of all, the majority of my debts were in New Zealand. I included them in a No Asset Procedure which is a a type of bankruptcy.

AFter this, the guys I mentioned continued to stalk me so I applied ofr full bankruptcy in the UK, since i had already left New Zealand.

The guys continued to stalk me, so I weighted until I was discharged. Now I am discharged from both bankruptcies, the guys continue to stalk me. I pay back all the debts in my No Asset Procedure - the guys continue to stalk me.

I'm not sure what their agenda is but it s very apparent to the people around that this is going on.

I have no idea what their agenda is. I'm beginning to think they want me dead but I don't see how they would gain from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I have no idea what their agenda is. I'm beginning to think they want me dead but I don't see how they would gain from this.

Maybe you need to fake your own death?

Mod
    Not funny. Pls do not post again on this thread

I'm guessing they have passed this debt to an international collection agency or somebody is playing very dirty tricks.

There must be a considerable amount of money involved for creditors to follow someone the whole way to Canada or failing that hire Canadian stalkers . You’d want fairly good connections in the underworld in Canada to carry this out, Canadians are generally very law abiding citizens .

AT most, it was 15,000 nzd.
    Bob Harris wrote: »

This isn't a joke. This could get violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwaydoc

Hi Elite Woad Raider

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I can't do anything to help your exact situation, but maybe discussing with your doctor might help to relieve at least some of the stress associated with all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

So you left NZ with about €9k of debt, went to the UK, then to Ireland and then to Canada and you think that there are people following you all over the world because of €9k of debt ?

I’d take Galwaydocs advice and have a chat with someone.

• Advertisement

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I think you should visit a health professional, and share your fears.

I’ll repeat this

I'm guessing they have passed this debt to an international collection agency or somebody is playing very dirty tricks.

AT most, it was 15,000 nzd.
    Bob Harris wrote: »

This isn't a joke. This could get violent.

This would not be cost effective for a debt agency. You need to speak to a health professional about this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closing this as thread has move far from legal discussion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement