Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1971 Mercedes W114 250CE - advice needed

• 23-09-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 1971 Mercedes W114 250CE, it was running up until recently (think it's a problem with the fuel pump) but the shed I'm storing it in is needed by the owner so my Merc is out in it's ear. The engine is in good working order (full rebuild done a few years ago) but the electrics need work and it's quite rusty in parts. While it has been running, it hasn't done much mileage in the last 4-5 years so that's not helping.

The options are:

- Get it properly repaired and use it more often so it'll need less work and will be easier to store (I can get someone to mind a well-used car easier than one that rarely moves!) I've no idea who I'd get to do this (I'm capable of doing small maintenance on car but not the type of work that's needed here) or what it'd cost

- Pay for storage (based in north Mayo) and save up cash to do the first option

- Sell it (any guesses for what it's worth)

- Leave it outside to rust away into nothing
    - Something else

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 w116

hi

classic cars cost money to run and repair, but in saying that the interior looks good and you say the engine had a full rebuild, so you just need to get it running and sort out the body.

try find a good mechanic and get it running then you have some options

too good to let rot, its a cool car
    if you dont want the hassle sell it. easier if its running but not easy in my opinion, the market in ireland is small.

all the best with it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That is a very nice and desirable car. The right engine, coupe, automatic. I agree with w116, get the car running first and take it from there. Even if it has some rust issues, but is not rotten, once running it is worth quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

How bad is the rust? Particularly underneath? Do you find water in the footwells after rain?
    I have one myself. I think if you put it into storage as is, it will degrade in a few years to a condition that will be hard to come back from. Those cars do not like being parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

I had one of them in the exact same color , but the more desirable 280ce twin cam injection, but same body except for ribbed rear light lenses. Mine was completely resprayed and looked concours in donedeal photos but was not in reality. Mine drove like a new car, I advertised it for 12500, like the others available and kept reducing it for 5-6 months eventually getting 5500, new buyer did a good few extra bits and advertised it for 7500 for another 4 months and if he sold it , which I guess he did ( or he might have passed away and it’s still in his estate ) and I reckon he got no more about 6- 6500.
    So I’d say sell as is for about 3 k asking and take anything above 1500.
    Brexit is going to collapse classic rhd prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MrCostington

MacDanger wrote: »
    I took a few videos, I'd appreciate any advice on whether this is salvagable or not.

Links require you sign in to view.

I'm unable to view those videos.
    If the rust is bad, there's no way you can park it up and come back to it in a few years. That option is not a runner.
    Depending on how bad the hidden rust is (particularly sills and bulkhead), you could spend several thousand on bodywork, not including paint. It would probably be cheaper to buy a previously restored one.
    I'd agree with Bigus - sell as is. €2000 would be a good result if you can get it. It will hurt to leave the old girl go, but you have to be pragmatic.

Links require you sign in to view.

I've edited them now, hopefully they're viewable now.

I'm thinking selling is probably the best option sadly :(

On the basis of the videos, yeah, it's pretty bad. New floors and sills. Bulkhead likely to be gone too.
    Was she from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bigus wrote: »
    Brexit is going to collapse classic rhd prices

How'd you come to that conclusion ?

As even a no deal Brexit will only attract a low tariff I don't think it's going to a huge effect.

My personal take on it is that cars that are in already may firm up.

A rare classic is a rare classic, Brexit or not.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

outfox wrote: »
    Was she from the UK?

Yeah, I bought it in London in 2010, will be sad to see her go

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Bigus wrote: »
    I had one of them in the exact same color , but the more desirable 280ce twin cam injection, but same body except for ribbed rear light lenses. Mine was completely resprayed and looked concours in donedeal photos but was not in reality. Mine drove like a new car, I advertised it for 12500, like the others available and kept reducing it for 5-6 months eventually getting 5500, new buyer did a good few extra bits and advertised it for 7500 for another 4 months and if he sold it , which I guess he did ( or he might have passed away and it’s still in his estate ) and I reckon he got no more about 6- 6500.
    So I’d say sell as is for about 3 k asking and take anything above 1500.
    "Brexit is going to collapse classic rhd prices
    "

I don't think the UK were thinking of converting to driving on the LHS prior to the referendum? If anything people will be putting money into tangible assets, not banks. Accurately price the repair costs for your pump, if it outweighs the open market selling price for your car, you have a judgement call to make. However, the car would be easier to sell as running & driving. Having not seen the car but making an educated guess the restoration of your car would far outweigh its value when restored. If you are doing it to keep and cherish go for it. Classics suffer unless they are kept dry. Best of luck.

Advertisement