Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transitioning 13 month old to own room

Options
  • 23-09-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

We're hoping to move our 13-month old into her own room shortly. We just moved from an apartment to a house, so it wasn't even an option until now.

The problem is that for a few months, we were living with parents and during this time, if she woke up during the night, rather than either let her cry her out like we were doing in the apartment, we brought her into the bed with us (to not disturb the grandparents).

Now she wakes up every night at 3am and refuses to go back to bed in her cot, so we have the bring her into bed with us then.

We don't even know where to start with putting her into own room, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

AdMMM wrote: »
    We're hoping to move our 13-month old into her own room shortly. We just moved from an apartment to a house, so it wasn't even an option until now.

The problem is that for a few months, we were living with parents and during this time, if she woke up during the night, rather than either let her cry her out like we were doing in the apartment, we brought her into the bed with us (to not disturb the grandparents).

Now she wakes up every night at 3am and refuses to go back to bed in her cot, so we have the bring her into bed with us then.

We don't even know where to start with putting her into own room, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

For a time could you have the cot into the room with you and after say two weeks or so, move her into her own room. Once you've done that, read to her as she falls asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

We got a book, "The Baby Sleep Solution" By Lucy Wolfe and found it great to guide us with sleep issues.

The stay and support method it talks about should work for you but will require a bi of work for a week or two!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Personally I didn't give much thought to where my son fell asleep. It doesn't seem to bother kids that they wake up somewhere else. So I'd just let him doze off where ever works and then put him into his cot or bed. I was more concerned with getting him used to waking up in his own spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I like the mattress on the floor. Cuddle to sleep in their own room and you can roll away without disturbing and they need you less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

fits wrote: »
    I like the mattress on the floor. Cuddle to sleep in their own room and you can roll away without disturbing and they need you less and less.

Fancy fecker, I just lay on the floor....... with no pillow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The spare room still isn't ready, so we've still been bringing her into the bed every night when she wakes up. She can (and does) settle herself back to sleep if we don't stir, but the cot is so close to the bed (limited) space, she's reaching over and slapping me for about 15 minutes. There's only so much I can take before I have to bring her in :)

I'm actually becoming a bit more confident that being in her own room might be a bit easier for us as she won't be able to poke and prod us and she can settle herself after a while.

Fingers crossed.

Advertisement