Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway skate rink

• 19-09-2019 8:04am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right so I know this is a bit early for a lot of people but I'm probably taking my son to Elftown for Christmas and I'm thinking of trying the Galway rink on the same trip. How is the rink in Galway? I've gone to Limerick on Ice for the past few years and it's honestly appalling. Massively over-crowded. The ice is in shocking state, full of potholes and deep skid marks as they very, very rarely seem to smooth it out. I've been in for the first session of the day a few times and the ice is a mess. In any other seasonal rink I've been to, the ice is smoothed out between each session. The staff manage the place really badly and they give the skating aids for small children to anyone who pays for them, so you have teenagers flinging them about while there are none left for toddlers who are left clinging to parents on the ice in the middle of bedlam.

So how does that compare to Galway? I absolutely love to skate and really want to get a chance to ice-skate reasonably comfortably over Christmas. I want my son, who will be seven to actually get a chance to skate himself this year because it never really feels safe to let a small shakey skater skate in the bedlam we normally experience in Limerick. I'm thinking of coming up early on a Saturday morning and attending the first session. But not if it will just be to experience the same bedlam as Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

As a hockey player I'm not a fan of the Galway rink. Very lumpy ice. They don't even have a Zambon to smooth the icei. Mullingar would be better as they have a zamboni.

Don't get me started on a Christmas tree in the middle of the Galway rink.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

cena wrote: »
    As a hockey player I'm not a fan of the Galway rink. Very lumpy ice. They don't even have a Zambon to smooth the icei. Mullingar would be better as they have a zamboni.

Don't get me started on a Christmas tree in the middle of the Galway rink.

That's disappointing I was hoping the ice would be in better condition. Have you skated on a lot of the rinks in Ireland? I've only been to Limerick in recent years and it really is so awful I don't want to go back. I'd love to get a good review of all of the rinks. Where do you skate for hockey? Belfast? Or do you play inline most of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

iguana wrote: »
    That's disappointing I was hoping the ice would be in better condition. Have you skated on a lot of the rinks in Ireland? I've only been to Limerick in recent years and it really is so awful I don't want to go back. I'd love to get a good review of all of the rinks. Where do you skate for hockey? Belfast? Or do you play inline most of the year?

Mainly the dublin rinks. they all seem to have zambonis I play ice only for now. . The flying ducks in dublin have senior teams and kids teams up to u18. There is also an all female team in the league I play in in belfast.

Pm message me if you want any more info

Advertisement