Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intestate

Options
  • 18-09-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I made a similar post on this awhile back but i have more specifics now.

My nan died without a will in July. She died at 12pm on a friday. At 3pm my aunt (her daughter) was down at the credit union assuming shed be able to get the death berevament grant and whatever money was in the account for funeral expenses

My nan also had an account where 26e fortnightly was paid into from her dead husbands pension. He died 31 years ago. She also went in there for money on the same day.

Both places told her she needed to get the death certificate. Which she did.

Its a small family theres only my aunt uncle and father.

My aunt rang my dad the other day (shes a compulsive liar). She said she went into the tsb and they said she couldnt get access into the account without:

A up to date passport
    2 utility bills
    A "fresh birth cert".

The woman in the bank "told her" that nan only had 50e in her account. My aunt said it would cost more to get a new passport so she said leave it.

Now you dont have to be a legal expert to know a bank wont divulge your account balance to anyone. Nan was the sole name on the account. No beneficiaries.

Its obvious that shes trying to keep that money for herself. (She told me weeks ago she had money coming to her).

My dad is either naieve or choosing to turn a blind eye. But now my aunt and uncle are saying there is a €2000 deficit to pay the funeral. My mam is pissed with the lies but we cant prove it.

I told my mam not to worry that I had gone into the bank and they told me my aunt would need to go through a solicitor and they would not share the account balance. My aunt is not very bright so we were kind of relaxed because we thought she wouldnt be able to get it.

But dad told me yesterday she had been to the solicitor already to get the money out from the credit union. (Which means she will get it out of the bank too).

My sister and I called to my aunt today and she fobbed us off with the same crap about how there was only 50e in the account. We couldnt say anything without sounding as if we were accusing her.

She obviously (no doubt with my slimey uncle) has nominated herself as the personal representative.

My dad is very vunerable and we think he knows but is turning a blind eye but the rest of us are disgusted that shes doing this to her own brother. My nan would have hated this.

My question is, can you get a copy of her death cert online and go to our own solicitor in the quiet to see what is in the bank?

And if my dad is not prepared to do this, can we as her grandchildren do it?.

Before ye say its my dads choice:

He is vulnerable and grieving.
    If he was to pay a deficit for the funeral its my mother too and she is severally peed off that they could lie.
    My nan would have wanted any monies belonging to her to pay her funeral costs.

She had not got much. And its not even the money. My mam would pay with a heart and a half if it was legit but we know its not. My parents dont want nor need the money but its the principle.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If your aunt arranged the funeral without any consultation with your dad she will have agreeded to pay the costs. So it would be your dads choice to pay a contribution or not. The banks will normally pay the costs of the burial first then it's closing out any utilities and other debts before there is money left to distribute.

If your nan was only getting the pension and 26e she may have no estate (money in any bank account) if your Dad wants nothing to do with settling the details or any inheritance you and any other family need to respect that. So the important thing may be to see if your Dad wants any non financial memento from his mother and work on that first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed for mods' review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement