Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatening letter about maintenance to one parent family?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Today I received a letter from the Department Of Employment Affairs and Social Protection stating that I never replied to a letter I received off them many months ago.
    The letter I received months ago was about paying maintenance to my ex partner(mother of our child) stating what I should be paying etc.
    I wrote back a letter saying how much maintenance I have been given my ex partner and stating that I have the child 3 nights a week and contribute to cloths and anything else that comes up for our child. This letter was dated and sign by me and my ex partner.
    Fast forward nearly 6-7 months I get a letter today saying that I have never sent them any letters and now they are threatening to take legal actions.
    This is very frustrating for me as I know for a fact the letter was handed in. I did not post the letter as I was afraid it would turn up “missing” so I specially went through the trouble to hand it in person.
    What is more frustrating is that my ex partner has actually been docked money from one parent family payment as I have been paying the maintenance so I’m not too sure how they can say they never got a letter from me about it if they have docked her payments because of the maintenance.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This is very frustrating for me as I know for a fact the letter was handed in. I did not post the letter as I was afraid it would turn up “missing” so I specially went through the trouble to hand it in person.

I assume you have no indepandant withness that you did this?

Best to send such documents/letters by registered post?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,144 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . Fast forward nearly 6-7 months I get a letter today saying that I have never sent them any letters and now they are threatening to take legal actions.
    This is very frustrating for me as I know for a fact the letter was handed in. I did not post the letter as I was afraid it would turn up “missing” so I specially went through the trouble to hand it in person. . . .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Write to them with a a copy of the letter you sent earlier. Use registered post this time.

Unless, in the latest letter, they are claiming that you have not been paying maintenance, do not make a big deal out of the fact that you are paying maintenance, they must know this because they have been docking your partner's benefit, etc, etc. Just confirm in a one-liner (if it is the case) that you have continued to pay maintenance as set out in your earlier letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Personally I'd arrange to meet whoever is on the letter for a chat. They're actually very decent people, explain what you said in your OP. Sounds like your ex is on side so ask her to go too.

They tend to weed the bs out by sending letters, the genuine people meet face to face, and it's sorted.

Advertisement