Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

If you email or call vw customer service they will get back to you with an update

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭crassusg

Anytime i contacted VW support they don't have any info and say to talk to the dealer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I had another failed charge from the Zappi on Sunday night but finally got charged last night

I think I have figured out the problem, there's a bug in VW's that if the charging session ends after a short amount of time the car goes into some deep sleep mode and won't be woken up by the charger

The only way to get it out of that state is to wake the car up some other way, for example using the key to unlock the car

The 2 failed times I had charged the car up a bit using the manual boost function. Last night when I succeeded I didn't use the boost

I reckon because the boost charge is fairly quick it sent the car into that deep sleep mode, and because I keep the key in an RFID shielded box, it wasn't able to wake up again

I'll see if I can replicate it again after I've run the battery down a bit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No motorway, but it was multiple drives. 4 X 80km drives on 4 different days. Then a half dozen short spins into town. There was a lot of "cooling the car from baking hot to 18.5c" as a result.

I've previously done a 220km drive with 50% motorway and arrived with 200km range.

I emailed them with the VIN number 3 times and each time they responded within 1 to 2 days with an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

I don’t even have the VIN number so I’m probably miles behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Sorry I didn't ask but what variant of the ID4 do you have?

Is it the 77kwh battery or 52kwh?

If I was to get the ID4 it will be the city version which I understand is 52kwh battery.

I've the 1st edition. 77kWh. WLTP rated for 500km, but my rule of thumb is to take 20% away for day to day driving. Take up to another 20% off for 100% motorway driving. I'd assume this would hold through regardless of the version of the car - so a city with WLTP range of 350km is more like 280km day to day, and more like 210km on 100% motorway driving.

My Cork city to Thurlas slip road was 23.2kWh/100km, giving ~224km range on the 52kWh battery version. My overall drive of Cork city to Athlone (motorway to Thurlas then up through the country from there on) was 19.9kWh/100km giving a potential range of 261km on the 52kWh battery version.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I've been getting 20kWh/100km or better on the M1. Heavier traffic reduces the consumption due to slower speeds.

I charge to 90% and top up whenever possible. I have the 1st too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hi lads, was supposed to have my car this week. Was built a few weeks back and was shipped I was told. The dealer told me it will be another 2 weeks at least as its an internal transfer. Does this make sense to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

Just got a call from dealership, car will be here early next week and I can collect around Wednesday. so excited

It might just be easier to buy a new ID.4 to get the upgrade, rather than that whole process. On the face of it it's a joke of an upgrade too. The home button is different, and the home menu is different. That's about it visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw my first First Max today, grey - if that was you coming out of Fota Island Resort, hello!

Also saw my first series model yesterday, also grey - not sure which trim, but was flagged Pro so 77kWh I think. Parked at South Court Hotel Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suite16

Picked up my ID.4 Life yesterday and drove just under 300km home, arriving with almost 200km left. Stopped off en route for a cuppa and could have charged if I needed, but had more range left than I knew what to do with, so didn't bother :-D

Delightful car to drive on both country roads and motorway. Adaptive cruise control was new to me, so that was a joy to experience, once I got to trust that the car would indeed slow down when needed! Love how quiet the cabin is; the comfort; power; turning circle... pretty much everything.

Everything that is, except that my scheduled charge last night didn't work! Plugged in to my ABL 7kW home unit; set home as a charging location; set my preferred charging time 12am-7am (to avail of my night rate electricity rate); set my departure time for 9am; ticked the checkbox beside the charging schedule... and it didn't charge :-( I set it manually charging this morning and all worked fine - it's happily charging away at 41km/hr (whatever that is in kW!).

Some googling informs me that this scheduled charging glitch is a known 'feature' - has anyone found a workaround, other than staying up until midnight and then plugging in the car? Do I need to change my ABL home unit to a smart unit where I can control the start/end times? Any tips most welcome! Thanks :-)

No real accountable solution out there. I start charging mine via the app if/when I wake during the night, or first thing in the morning to get a few hours of night rate.

I've heard 1 guy said scheduled charging works with the 2.3 software version. I wouldn't hold my breath. If it doesn't in going to hack/smarten my rolec charger so I can start/stop on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suite16

Thanks @Black_Knight - two further questions if you don't mind:

[1] You mention charging via the app. Is it necessary to commence charging using the app, or does plugging the car into the wall unit not immediately commence charging? If the app swipe is necessary, I'm guessing the idea of upgrading to a smart home unit with timed charging may not work, as I'd still need to initiate the charge on the app after midnight?

[2] Will the car download the latest firmware itself, or do I need to connect it to my home Wi-Fi/mobile phone hotspot? Never mind - I've found the answer to that bit on the Battery Life YouTube channel :-)

Post edited by suite16 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uncleiano

Jesus I orders mine in April and it’s anybody guess when it will turn up

Got the dreaded contact from the garage today. Car has been pushed to the first week of October. So nearly a two month extension.

I can only assume that the trade in price for my Tiguan will be honoured.

I was also informed VW have stopped production completely of the entry models of every car.

Plugging the car into the wall starts charging immediately, so I stop charging via the app (because I plug it in in the evening when I'm on the expensive day rate) then come midnight or whatever time i wake I use the app (we charge Id) to start charging.

Upgrading to a smart unit is very much a viable option if VW don't fix the issue. A smart unit will work fine with the ID4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Are there any ID4s in stock in the country now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

That is utterly crap. Anyway it will be worth it. They are smashing cars. When was it you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My father emailed the dealer today to ask for an update on his order. Had heard nothing from them since the start of June. Only after enquiring about an update have they told him there is a delay due to the semi-conducters. No expected delivery time given. He is very tempted to pull the plug completely. If it arrives in mid September then he can't collect it until October so would be registering the car very late in the year.

What's more frustrating is that they wouldn't have told him only for he followed up himself today.

Edit: just saw the mail myself and the car is built but just awaiting the conductor. Hopefully that means the wait won't be as long as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

pierse motors in tipp had a choice of 4 2 weeks ago but I think they were all first Max. he quoted me 63k for one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Thanks for that. I didn’t consider the Max. That’s a lot of money :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

When charging the car should the ID light or screen stay on to show the charging status? Mine does briefly after starting to charge but then turns off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Ok thanks, some comments or guides I’ve seen make it sound like it should stay on during charging.

• Advertisement

Was very tempted to pull the plug myself, but I’ve got a good deal with my trade in and also the grant issue. Unless VW in the unlikely occurrence would honour the grant themselves for a January delivery then I wouldn’t mind a 221 plate.

Advertisement