Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

mikhail wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty widely loved. It's a series of shorts, all in different animation styles, telling very different stories. Definitely check it out.

Will do. It’s about 50c in cex and I keep forgetting to grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

A 4th Matrix film does not appeal at all. You can't replicate the original.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Will do. It’s about 50c in cex and I keep forgetting to grab it.

Grab it!

I’m actually jealous you haven’t seen it yet, you get to experience it for the first time. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Grab it!

I’m actually jealous you haven’t seen it yet, you get to experience it for the first time. :cool:

Will do. Be in town tomorrow I’ll run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The first Matrix movie was the last time that I was genuinely blown away in the cinema. Christ, that was 20 years ago! Movies have really gone ****e since :( I can't think of any recent movie that was even half as thrilling as that experience.

I think Fury Road came pretty close

Just can't get on board with the Keanu resurgence. He destroys every film with his wooden acting, how he has made a successful career as an actor is really astounding. That said he was well suited to the first matrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mikhail wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty widely loved. It's a series of shorts, all in different animation styles, telling very different stories. Definitely check it out.

Is it? I've not seen it since the cinema*, but I've never heard anyone talk about it since. Thought it was all over the place, with the CGI segment being the most impressive for technical reasons.

*An awful lot people left that Dreamcatcher showing before the movie started. They were the clever ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I remember well the first time I seen The Matrix, it blew my young mind. Unfortunately I too young to see it in the cinema, but a bit later on at my cousin's house, I seen it on VHS/DVD(can't remember which it would've been) and it was amazing.

Didn't have a notion what it was about which made the experience all the better. Very rare you have that nowadays when seeing a film. The only thing that would have come close in that regard since was Inception, which I also didn't know much about, but I'd have at least seen a bit of a teaser trailer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jez, another one. The Simpsons meme, "Stop, he's already dead" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Should've went full reboot or better yet, leave it alone. Sounds like they will probably try to do something like Ep7 - new characters, new stories, but rely on the characters of Neo and Trinity. Pity they both died already!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Should've went full reboot or better yet, leave it alone. Sounds like they will probably try to do something like Ep7 - new characters, new stories, but rely on the characters of Neo and Trinity. Pity they both died already!

Woah.. spoilers

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

kerplun k wrote: »
    Jez, another one. The Simpsons meme, "Stop, he's already dead" comes to mind.
    "I sent two units. They're contracting the cast now."

"No, Lieutenant, your franchise is already dead."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

mloc123 wrote: »
    Woah.. spoilers

:eek:

If that means you won't see Revelations, you should be thanking me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Love to see a film version The Second Renaissance, no holding back the horror of the machines learning to use humans for energy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think Fury Road came pretty close

Just can't get on board with the Keanu resurgence. He destroys every film with his wooden acting, how he has made a successful career as an actor is really astounding. That said he was well suited to the first matrix

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fury Road! Didn't see it on the big screen though, so missed the full experience with that one. Great movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Risky,seeing as their other projects werent great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Meh - the original is still great but I had to turn off Reloaded because it was so boring and by all accounts Revolutions is much worse. Part of the appeal of the first movie was the wow factor of the effects and the fight sequences, they can't recapture that.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Seeing Fury Road in the cinema wasn't anywhere near as mind blowing as when I first saw the Matrix on DVD.

The matrix had it all. Ground breaking concept. Revolutionary effects. Incredibly well choreographed fights. Sharp and tight script. Breakthrough performance from Hugo Weaving.

Things that just hadn't been seen on screen before like the downloading of martial arts. The tooling up scene. Bullet time.

The closest thing we've had to a film that delivers on all of the above is Inception imo. And even that is nowhere near as good/ iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II cast in an unnamed lead role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember way back , immediately after the follow-on films were announced. The Wachowskis initially stated that the initial Matrix movie could have been any one of their planned trilogy. I believe during initial development of the follow-on movies that it was going to be the middle movie. That the first move was going to be about the guy who initially led the resistance (As described by Morpheus in the first movie).

Of course the studio never would have let this happen: "What? You want to have another movie with NONE of the original cast? But they are super famous now.... And then come back to them in 3 years or so? Nope. Make two more with that bunch."

While the other two were poor, I believe the first movie still holds up. Despite a very porly-researched article on BBC website which went on about how it's typical that the hero is white male..... Despite the fact the part was offered to Will Smith and Sandra Bullock first.

Anyway, yeah, the first still holds up in general. The effect it had on cinema can't be understated: Remember how EVERY movie seemed to have a Bullet-Time sequence for about 2 years after? Look at how dynamic car chases have become with cameras zipping around CGI cars at wheel-level. (For good or bad).

My only concern about another movie is that the Wachowskis need restraint. They need someone to say "No" to them:

Bound - taut little thriller. Possibly dated badly :) Haven't seen it in ages.
    The Matrix - Again, tight movie. Very little dross in the movie. For all the spectacle of Bullet Time and leaps there were few OTT action sequences: Chases were on foot. Flying was in the last second of the movie. Fights were confined and, while not realistic at all, at least it wasn't a Family Guy Chicken Fight. (EVERYONE remembers the little bit with the fingers to the throat :) ). Sure, you had the rescue/helicopter but you do have to have some spectacle..

Then you had the whole "Take all the money you need and do what you want": The other two Matrix movies had some interesting moments but spectacle took over.
    Speed Racer was so OTT visually that I got a migraine AND a toothache.
    Jupiter Ascending - Didn't know if it wanted to be a cross between a Terry Gilliam and Luc Besson movie (The whole protracted sequence with her trying to get credentials or something. I can't remember, I don't care) or a huge franchise Space Opera.

So they need limits. Many directors are the same: Peter Jackson is a prime example. From his earlier schlock horrors to the underrated The Frightners even, I would say, up to his Rings trilogy. While his LoTR trilogy was hugely expensive for the time, he was making three movies. He still had limits on what he could do technically and what the studio and audience wanted. His script was, again, tight. For such long movies, there was little that could be cut (Apart from about 30 minds from the end of Return of the King). Then look at King Kong. Hours upon hours of build-up. And the less said about The Hobbit trilogy the better. 9 hours or so of a 3 hour single movie.

So, ironically to my post: TLDR: Interested but they need limits

Also, the Animatrix is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheRodgers

will neo be trinity in this one and trinity be neo the old switch r roo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,967 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II cast in an unnamed lead role.

Young Morpheus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭pah

The biggest problem with the sequels IMO was the removal of any danger to Neo. He was too powerful to be taken on and that was not compelling.

I also saw the first in 99 ( what a cracking year for movies) knew nothing before I went in, left mind blown. Saw it again in cinema in June for the 20th anniversary. It has dated a little bit IMO (maybe due to all the copycat stuff that followed) but holds up pretty well.

I enjoyed reloaded for the spectacle that it was but it left me feeling empty. Expectations were low for revolutions and it was meh, as expected.

To be honest I think I'd rather they left this one alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Jupiter Ascending - Didn't know if it wanted to be a cross between a Terry Gilliam and Luc Besson movie (The whole protracted sequence with her trying to get credentials or something. I can't remember, I don't care)

I have to add that Terry Gilliam played "Seal and Signet Minister" in Jupiter Ascending so indeed that was intended as a Brasil homage. I found Jupiter to be stupid but in a rather charming way, I say with some embarrassment.

The movie no one has mentioned except in johnny_ultimate's aside about David Mitchell the author working with the Wachowskis before, is Cloud Atlas. That actually is a very interesting film and in some ways quite brilliant. I believe it was one of the most expensive independent movies made at the time... and did not do well, but is worth watching.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nikkisscy

I can't wait to come on netfilx ! anyone knows where to watch it streaming online?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The 2nd and third didn’t have the quality of the first, there’s no doubt about that.

But as action movies they were very good. The fight in the hall is one of my favorite fight scenes in any movie. All the lads jumping around stairs , it was brilliantly choreographed. Also the attack on Sion was pretty impressive.

I don’t really see where they go from the third but I like these kind of movies and the quirky directors (enjoyed cloud atlas) so I’m interested to see what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neil Patrick Harris joins the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t really see where they go from the third but I like these kind of movies and the quirky directors (enjoyed cloud atlas) so I’m interested to see what they do.

Only my opinion...
    But the only way they can seemingly do a fourth is try to mirror the first while at the same time adding something new. Ala The Force Awakens me thinks. A lot of people felt it was a mirror of A New Hope yet still was a new entry.
    Not to mention that a lot of people didn't really place the Martix Reloaded and Revolutions on the same level as the first.

Question is then how do you mirror the first but add something new?
    Another "one" comes about?
    Another full on war between machines and humans? or a rouge faction of machines or even humans since there is "peace"?
    How does Neo come into play? does he only exist in the Matrix now? (most likely)
    Has Morpheus been searching for Neo's body all these years and the machines wont give it up? (similair to the matrix online video game)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Neil Patrick Harris joins the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Only my opinion...
    But the only way they can seemingly do a fourth is try to mirror the first while at the same time adding something new. Ala The Force Awakens me thinks. A lot of people felt it was a mirror of A New Hope yet still was a new entry.
    Not to mention that a lot of people didn't really place the Martix Reloaded and Revolutions on the same level as the first.

Question is then how do you mirror the first but add something new?
    Another "one" comes about?
    Another full on war between machines and humans? or a rouge faction of machines or even humans since there is "peace"?
    How does Neo come into play? does he only exist in the Matrix now? (most likely)
    Has Morpheus been searching for Neo's body all these years and the machines wont give it up? (similair to the matrix online video game)

I really hope they have more protracted scenes with the Architect or some other "man" behind the curtain type figure to explain the timeline and origins of the Matrix itself... hopefully with Powerpoint this time.

The problem I have with where they left it is that they turned a simple (yet brilliant) concept into a convoluted mess of iterations of "Ones", reboots, and equations to create this inexplicable history that is constantly erased. Sure, you can sit down and analyse it, and I admit I quite like the idea of how the rebellion is a necessary element of the loop to maintain the illusion of freedom but it was delivered in such a terrible way and it wasn't followed through with any clarity either. What Reloaded clunkily set up, Revolutions failed to address in a satisfying way. None of the lore of The Matrix that the Architect went through had an impact on the events of Revolutions.

Also they ruined Smith in the sequels. It was a clear case of the audience like Agent Smith so lets make hundreds of him for the sequels.

For the sequels, I hope they pare back the story to something a bit more tangible. Fine, keep the history and logic of the Matrix universe they built but make it accessible. Also, ditch the religious references, no-one was blown away by Neo being basically Ninja Jesus Superman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jonathan Groff (Holden Ford in Mindhunter) on board as "an unspecified role".... "unspecified" Uhuh.. the dude looks just like an agent..

The Matrix 4: Jonathan Groff Joins The Cast
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/matrix-4-jonathan-groff-mindhunter-frozen-2-keanu-reeves/
    It would be easy to pigeonhole him as one the villainous agents given his usual suit-clad role in Mindhunter, but he's more than just the driven FBI agent.
    Too late, can't unpigeonhole until trailer!

Advertisement