Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rahoon cemetery vandalism

Options
  • 16-08-2019 4:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on my phone so can't link but between 10 and 20graves are reported to have been interfered with last night between 16.30 and 08.30 just wanted to post here to spread news for those that may not see it otherwise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It’s after a significant amount of ornaments – affecting up to 20 graves in Section X – were broken sometime between last evening and this morning.
    It doesn't say what happened exactly. I suppose this will be reported in other papers.
    Hopefully "only" drunk eejits being bored and disrespectful of the people that came before us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

biko wrote: »
    It doesn't say what happened exactly. I suppose this will be reported in other papers.
    Hopefully "only" drunk eejits being bored and disrespectful of the people that came before us.

It did on the actual news itself, guy from the City Council was explaining how loads of ornaments were smashed and scattered all over the place.

Pretty low even by the inherently low standards of the act of vandalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

biko wrote: »

I'd be interested to know why they did it, regardless of their reasoning or lack of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Anyone know where a someone could get a map of the graveyard?. Stating the damage is in section x is useless without one. I rang the council once i heard the news and she was pretty much clueless as to where the damage was. Thankfully when i got to Rahoon it didnt effect my loved ones grave but it did cause some worry as i battled through friday traffic to see if there was an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

They are alphabetical so section X would be the newest section.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I think this is the section at the back - furthest from the Rahoon Road - that was added over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone know where a someone could get a map of the graveyard?. Stating the damage is in section x is useless without one. I rang the council once i heard the news and she was pretty much clueless as to where the damage was. Thankfully when i got to Rahoon it didnt effect my loved ones grave but it did cause some worry as i battled through friday traffic to see if there was an issue.

This is sorely lacking. Clarinbridge Graveyard (another very well kept graveyard in Galway) has a quite an up to date map at the entrance outlining who is buried where. I don't think there is a similar one at the entrance to Rahoon but it is something that should be addressed.

I don't think there is an online list/map of all the burials there available either.

Both of these things are very doable. There is some kind of incomplete online data base of Old Rahoon Cemetery which I believe is nearby.

It's disappointing when you have to use an findagrave.com to find Lord Haw Haw or Siobhan Mckenna's grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

bobbyss wrote: »

It's disappointing when you have to use an findagrave.com to find Lord Haw Haw or Siobhan Mckenna's grave.

You're on the wrong side of town for the first one anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »

Am I missing something? If there's no directory available to the public, then how can findagrave help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

You're on the wrong side of town for the first one anyways!

Yes indeed. Had been thinking about Michael Bodkin.
    Am I missing something? If there's no directory available to the public, then how can findagrave help?

If you are interested in finding the graves of famous people then it can help.

Advertisement