Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon, all flights stopped

• 15-08-2019 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭

Just saw a tweet from RTÉ saying all flights in Shannon are stopped due to an incident

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Nothing involving the terminal happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Incident with an Omni Air B763, saw a picture on Twitter with foam sprayed around the gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The ‘news’ reported it as a 763! Surprised they didn’t say the jumbo jet and post a picture of a Ryanair 737-200

Back in the day, when I worked there, the Airport police and the firemen were the same personnel. They'll have loved a bit of action :)

Thankfully, fairly innocuous. And could the IT have found a more unflattering pic of Shannon Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

That Pat Flynn chap must live in the airport, or certainly have a tent in the bushes around the perimeter somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Good spot by the air traffic controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Back in the day, when I worked there, the Airport police and the firemen were the same personnel. They'll have loved a bit of action :)

Thankfully, fairly innocuous. And could the IT have found a more unflattering pic of Shannon Airport.

Someone must be reading, the photo just changed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

From someone at the airport....
    "From what I can gather from the LiveATC recordings it seems like the pilots did an RTO due to an open flightdeck window. The RTO happened at a high enough speed and due to performance (Heavy Aircraft) the brakes got hot. The pilots decided to taxi to the runway holding point and held on the ground to let the brakes cool but missed their ATC slot so decided to go back to stand. While taxiing back on the runway the tower observed smoke from the left side of the aircraft so the pilots subsequently decided to evacuate on the runway...cockpit window opened on take off - pilot fault"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sorry, phone camera is pretty crap even at this distance..

Latest: "The situation on the runway is still ongoing. We are working with the airline to remove the aircraft. We should have an update at 11am. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Inbound American has diverted to Manchester, Delta holding at 370 off the coast

I'm no expert, but holding doesn't sound like a viable plan to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Still seems to be the case
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/shannon-airport-gets-countrys-first-high-tech-fire-tenders-886382

The recruits will undergo an intensive 12-week training programme which will equip them to begin work in the combined role of airport police and fire personnel.
    I take it this means it might take a while.

The plane is now moving verrrrry slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »
    Inbound American has diverted to Manchester, Delta holding at 370 off the coast

Delta gone also.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Delta gone also.
    Aw man, I was supposed to be boarding Delta. :(

Plane now on taxiway, so I guess things should start getting back to normalish at some point soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

RedorDead wrote: »
    From someone at the airport....
    "From what I can gather from the LiveATC recordings it seems like the pilots did an RTO due to an open flightdeck window. The RTO happened at a high enough speed and due to performance (Heavy Aircraft) the brakes got hot. The pilots decided to taxi to the runway holding point and held on the ground to let the brakes cool but missed their ATC slot so decided to go back to stand. While taxiing back on the runway the tower observed smoke from the left side of the aircraft so the pilots subsequently decided to evacuate on the runway...cockpit window opened on take off - pilot fault"
    Could they not have closed the window?

What an unfortunate chain of events from something so innocuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Boeing training https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMcD-RWA9A

Take off appears to be the suggested option and close in air or return if not possible to close

First boarding call has just been made, so I guess the runway's back in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Airport back in operation

Plane has arrived, and needs two new tyres. I'm not positive, but it's possible the hostess person said that was related to the earlier incident and there were nails on the runway or something. Please feel free to speculate wildly.

Advertisement