Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge overgrowth - responsibility?

Options
  • 14-08-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Am I correct in understanding that the overgrowth of a hedge is the responsibility of the person's whose land it has grown into? I had always understood it that a neighbour could prune a hedge/tree etc back to the boundary and return the trimmings/branches/surplus back into the property where the overgrowth came from (and indeed any fruit/flowers has to be returned).

Additionally it was my understanding that contacting the county council in relation to hedges was only in relation to public roads and imposes obligations on the landowners have hedges that pose a hazard to persons using a public road. If there is a dispute between hedges between neighbours i.e. back garden division - that isn't something that a county council will have jurisdiction over - it would instead be a potential district(?) court nuisance action I guess(?)

Advertisement