Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow play is killing golf

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

slave1 wrote: »
    So walking up to the first tee in Waterford Castle yesterday afternoon in blistering sunshine and heat, 4ball, we'd never played there before.
    Sign said a 4ball time is 4hrs 15minutes, we had a bit of waiting before tee shots from the groups in front through the front 9 then most groups came in.
    We picked up the pace and finished in 3hrs 45min, a full half hour ahead of the 4hrs 15minutes, why even have that on the first tee, it's like telling people it's perfectly fine to play that slow.
    Just don't get it, oh and we played Faithlegg that morning in 3hrs 50min, walked both courses.
    On Friday we played Mount Juliet in 4hrs 45mins and were held up by the group in front from the 4th, they refused to let us through and created a huge tailback on the course

I wouldn't say 4 hours 15 is long for a fourball. I'm not familiar with the course so don't know the difficulty or length of the course.

What was the handicaps of your 4 ball? if you have a group of low handicap golfers you would fly around. or even high handicap golfers that are accurate so you aren't looking for balls all the time. there is so many variable to how fast a round can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I played in a scratch cup in Corballis on Saturday.
    4 balls around there in a strokeplay comp is the perfect recipe for a long day, waiting to hit every shot & not being able to get any rhythm. Not enjoyable!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

etxp wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 4 hours 15 is long for a fourball. I'm not familiar with the course so don't know the difficulty or length of the course.

What was the handicaps of your 4 ball? if you have a group of low handicap golfers you would fly around. or even high handicap golfers that are accurate so you aren't looking for balls all the time. there is so many variable to how fast a round can be.

6,14,23,24, we did look for balls the odd time (playing the course blind) but that's cut back to 3minutes now so if we don't find then it's a quick get on with it.
    Agreed there are variables but folk are just slow, there was a 2 ball behind us from the first tee and we said we'd let them through on 11 but they were slow, when we came in on 18 they had fallen hole and a half behind us (a 4ball) and were creating a tail back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Another thing I see, is that the 3 minute rule to find a lost ball is being totally ignored.
    Watched a crowd in front of us yesterday spend at least 10 minutes looking. Ridiculous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dbu wrote: »
    Another thing I see, is that the 3 minute rule to find a lost ball is being totally ignored.
    Watched a crowd in front of us yesterday spend at least 10 minutes looking. Ridiculous stuff
    I know you shouldn't do it if there's a group behind you, but you can actually continue to look for a ball after the three minutes are up. You just can't play it as it's considered lost. I'm thinking of that brand new Pro V1 that you just don't want to give up on. ;)

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I know you shouldn't do it if there's a group behind you, but you can actually continue to look for a ball after the three minutes are up. You just can't play it as it's considered lost. I'm thinking of that brand new Pro V1 that you just don't want to give up on. ;)

Maybe you should play with a cheaper ball if you get attached to your pro V1's :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Maybe you should play with a cheaper ball if you get attached to your pro V1's :P:P
    If you see me searching for a ball in the rough, it's probably because I'm looking for your lost Pro V1s. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Of course you can, but call the group behind through

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

If you see me searching for a ball in the rough, it's probably because I'm looking for your lost Pro V1s. :D

You will be looking in the wrong place, I only ever lose my balls in water! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dbu wrote: »

Junior cup in bray was like that this year...lad hit a ball...spent 5 mins looking...went back to the and then tried to play the first one that he happened to find on his way back!

You will be looking in the wrong place, I only ever lose my balls in water! :(

Ohhh Matron!

• Advertisement
Advertisement