Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for this car damage?

Options
  • 10-08-2019 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Last Wednesday morning myself, my partner and her kids drove to Aldi to do some shopping. When we arrived, the car park was mostly empty, so I decided to park in an end space near the door.

After finishing the shopping, we were making our way out and I noticed that a woman had pulled in to the parking space right next to mine, despite how empty the car park she had to park that close.

Whatever way she pulled in, her SUV ended up crookedly parked so the vehicle was mostly on the parking line and rear of her vehicle was slightly over the line on my side. I wasn't too bothered since I was in an end space and there was room

After loading the shopping and getting into the drivers side I opened the car door fast forgetting how close she was. My door dented her passenger door and severely chipped her paint work. After pausing for a couple of seconds I decided not to say anything and drive away.

I don't think I am responsible for rubbish parking over the line and its not my fault she got in the way of my door. In any case, Aldi have signs up that say owners park at their own risk, which means its her risk and its not my fault because she was warned.

However, I am still worried she might check for any cctv footage or if anybody saw what happened. What trouble could I get into if she starts getting difficult about this. Can she cause me any legal trouble here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

You are.

EDIT: Is it a serious question?
    Ignorant parking does not entitle you to abdicate responsibility. She could report it as crimibal5 damage , if report it to the Garcia I'd it were my car damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The driver of the vehicle is responsible.
    They hit a stationary object, it could have been anything, even a pedestrian that was hit.

Doesn't matter how the other vehicle was parked.
    It was stationary and the your vehicle was not.

Aldi's signs are to inform you that cars are parked at the owners risk, not theirs.
    i.e if you are boken in to, Aldi are not liable.

That you are trying to lay blame for your own very obvious mistake is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Last Wednesday morning myself, my partner and her kids drove to Aldi to do some shopping. When we arrived, the car park was mostly empty, so I decided to park in an end space near the door.

After finishing the shopping, we were making our way out and I noticed that a woman had pulled in to the parking space right next to mine, despite how empty the car park she had to park that close.

Whatever way she pulled in, her SUV ended up crookedly parked so the vehicle was mostly on the parking line and rear of her vehicle was slightly over the line on my side. I wasn't too bothered since I was in an end space and there was room

After loading the shopping and getting into the drivers side I opened the car door fast forgetting how close she was. My door dented her passenger door and severely chipped her paint work. After pausing for a couple of seconds I decided not to say anything and drive away.

I don't think I am responsible for rubbish parking over the line and its not my fault she got in the way of my door. In any case, Aldi have signs up that say owners park at their own risk, which means its her risk and its not my fault because she was warned.

However, I am still worried she might check for any cctv footage or if anybody saw what happened. What trouble could I get into if she starts getting difficult about this. Can she cause me any legal trouble here?

I hope cctv got your reg. Appealing you never left your details.
    No matter how close someone parked to you. You seen her car beeing close there for should have either just gone in shop to get her or just been careful.
    You won't have leg to stand on, you caused damage... There for your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭corks finest

Morally you are, irrespective of her clownish parking

banie01 wrote: »
    The driver of the vehicle is responsible.
    They hit a stationary object, it could have been anything, even a pedestrian that was hit.

Doesn't matter how the other vehicle was parked.
    It was stationary and the your vehicle was not.
    There is no "driver" here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is no "driver" here

True, but I was trying not to be inflammatory by outline the lack of mental capacity on display in the O.P.
    Quite difficult tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You hit her car, opening your door. You are responsible.

On a side note, and not really realavent, you commented on her parking near the shop doors, in a near empty car park, even though you admitted to same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Augme

In any case, Aldi have signs up that say owners park at their own risk, which means its her risk and its not my fault because she was warned.

Lol, you can't actually stupid enough to think that what those signs mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Fiddlesticks99

What do those signs mean then? And anyway I didn't do it on purpose, so how can it be criminal?

What do those signs mean then? And anyway I didn't do it on purpose, so how can it be criminal?

The signs are there to limit Aldi's liability for car accidents on their premises. You wouldn't be covered by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

OP you are in the wrong unfortunately.
    But also I’m glad you chipped her paintwork.
    She might think next time when parking like a plonker and park correctly.

This absolutely shocking parking from people grinds my gears, it’s sheer laziness so f*ck her.

Mod
    Language!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Is this thread a wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Is this thread a wind up?

Must be, these trolls usually stick to the Morors forum. Maybe the OP has been banned from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

If they got your reg and come after you, you could always say your Tom cat scratched it.

Nothing. Not worth the plastic their written on. Just because they say they are t has no bearing. If they are negligent they are at fault.
    In the same way that you suggesting she deserved it would have sympathy from a lot of people it does t allow for facts .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Which Aldi and what time did you damage this car OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

You caused damage to someone else's property, it doesn't matter whether it was accidental or not.

And you left the scene knowing you had damaged the car, therefore you could be charged with any one of several crimes if the Gardai get involved.

If nothing else your attitude shows a distinct lack of any moral compass, I hope you are tracked and charged and fined - might teach you some decency.

Absolutely, there is such a thing as personal responsibility, its only normal for cars to get ware and tare

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Which Aldi and what time did you damage this car OP?

Nice try Gard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Absolutely, there is such a thing as personal responsibility, its only normal for cars to get ware and tare

Ah, so this is a wind up then.!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Seriously?

Those signs do not mean other drivers can crash away and have no responsibility. They mean when it happens it's not them that's responsible, it's the car owner who did the damage !

The second part just can't be a real question

Nobody said anything about a crash

Also the sign is quite clear, "Drivers park at own risk" it cant be anymore clear. Car dings are a risk in any carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Cars get pottery and plants :)

It's wear and tear

Also the sign is quite clear, "Drivers park at own risk" it cant be anymore clear. Car dings are a risk in any carpark

As already stated such signs are there to reduce the liability of the owner of the car park, not other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

GM228 wrote: »
    Cars get pottery and plants :)

As already stated such signs are there to reduce the liability of the owner of the car park, not other users.

Don't bother. Nobody could be this stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You are responsible as by your own report it was due to your lack of care, ie negligence. Having committed damage to property you are required to find the owner and/or leave your details. You did neither. If the guards are involved and they identify you, I suspect they will give you the opportunity to pay for the damage and not seek to prosecute you for failing to leave your details. The actual commission of the damage is a civil matter.

My opinion, not legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course it's a wind up. Like wanting to know if he was responsible for his cat killing a neighbour's hens or his cat scratching a neighbour's car. Just variations on a theme for him.
    Ah, so this is a wind up then.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nobody can be this obtuse.

All coincidences

All coincidences

If you say so. I don't believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: if I thought I could get away with it, I'd ban people for starting or contributing to rubbish like this on a Saturday evening. But I can't.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement