Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Zu Cars Cork

• 09-08-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ big_drive

Only seen a website for this today. Run by Joe Duffy motor group it says. In little Island in cork. Further stores to open around country supposedly
    Bit like a car supermarket , prices are fixed according to website.

Will value your own car online if u provide info and photos

Interesting enough but not sure what to make of it.

Anyone here with any experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,781 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

I’d imagine the former Audi Limerick premises in Singland will become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,242 ✭✭✭✭ Tauriel

When the cars were arriving off the trucks for them, they all seemed to be English imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley

Basically the car sales equivalent of Kwik Fit

• Registered Users Posts: 50,142 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

Will this be a similar setup to Keary's Car Store where they sell cars that were traded in at their various branded dealerships but don't fit the criteria to be retailed on those forecourts? Retailing cars that normally would be sold off through the trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ GustavoFring

bazz26 wrote: »
    Will this be a similar setup to Keary's Car Store where they sell cars that were traded in at their various branded dealerships but don't fit the criteria to be retailed on those forecourts? Retailing cars that normally would be sold off through the trade?

Their BMW place resembles a valeting bay with the dregs of the UK auctions being delivered in the mornings the last while since the carstore thing started. Looked at a few cars in carstore lately and they were all a bit too rough looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ carsfan2

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/interview-the-motor-trade-has-already-been-hit-by-brexit-1.3979608

Good article with the guy who controls the Joe Duffy group and he mentions Zu cars a good bit.
    Interesting they will buy your car without you trading one in and the prices are fixed, no haggling.
    My guess is that this garage chain will be for non franchise trade ins and cheapp imports if sterling stays weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭ Dia_Anseo

With Carstore, Hertz and now ZUcar not to mention the 100's other of smaller dealer, How will all these places survive?

ZUcar apparently employ "non-commissioned" sales staff..........soon it'll be like Tesco.

It really is getting like the UK, where people have their cars for short term periods before they want to roll over their PCP/HP on another different car.

The real winner here is the Finace company!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭ Dia_Anseo

Also.....this is interesting...

"5 Day No Quibble Money Back Guarantee

Our unique 5 day money back guarantee means that if you are not entirely happy with your ZuCar purchase you can hand the car back for a full refund of your money within 5 days of purchase."

Could this be exploited by customers not wanting to pay for a hire car?

Plus, there's only a 30 day mechanical warranty.....with options to extend for a fee!

I reckon just because those "non-commissioned" salespersons aren't incentivised to sell you a car they will be on commission to sell all these add ons and finance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ big_drive

It’s an unusual set up I suppose just different. Prices obviously bit lower by looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭ eastie17

Anyone got experience of them? Thinking of buying a car from them for my young fella, would normally go to England for something in that price range but those days are over.

Proposition is very straight forward, which in this county in the motor trade always makes me think theres a catch.
    Motorist always gets screwed is a good mindset to approach these things with I find :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭ JoeA3

eastie17 wrote: »
    Anyone got experience of them? Thinking of buying a car from them for my young fella, would normally go to England for something in that price range but those days are over.

Proposition is very straight forward, which in this county in the motor trade always makes me think theres a catch.
    Motorist always gets screwed is a good mindset to approach these things with I find :)

I sold my car to them last September. Would recommend. Completely straightforward, above board, painless transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 benji79

One positive I guess is dealing with a set up attached to an established business as opposed to some new set up with no history etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭ adox

I wonder is other dealers re using them to value cars offered to them as trade ins.

I recently traded my car in. I put my info into Zu first to see what they would offer as a straight sale to get a ball park figure and the three different places I looked at to trade in offered that exact amount as an opening offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭ Buddy Bubs

Decent setup as you'd expect from Ireland's largest motor group. Know someone that bought an audi there last year she was raving about how it was like a main dealer service level. But it was like main dealer prices she paid, they ain't cheap if there's no haggling like it says earlier in this thread. She paid strong money but got a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 50,142 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

The process of selling your car to them is fairly straight forward and I don't think there is any catch in that aspect. It's an easy way of shifting a car, however your car has a certain market value and they need to buy it from you below that in order to make money from selling it on. You probably will get more for it selling it privately if you have the patience but the convenience of just driving it in to them, handing them the keys and log book then getting the money transferred into your bank account comes at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭ Captainsatnav

Got 3k more for straight sale with zucar than dealer was offering for trade in...just had to get my dad to drive me from zu car to the dealer after I handed over the keys to collect new car!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭ quad_red

I test drove a new Kuga at Joe Duffy Ford in Finglas and the sales guy took my own cars details and pics to price the trade in. I could see on his phone he was uploading to something that said ‘Zu Cars’.

Advertisement