Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wills in contemplation of future marriage

Options
  • 08-08-2019 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭

lardarse wrote: »
    One thing that i did find important, was that i have a will already. But when you get married, that become null and void.

Without wanting to hijack the user's thread.

How valid is a will that contemplates future marriage:
    * to nobody in particular, e.g. "If I get married, I want Tom to get my car and my spouse to get the residual"? This will written perhaps years before any marriage.
    * to a specific person, e.g. "When I get married to Mary, I want Tom to get my car and Mary to get the residual"? This will written in the weeks / months before the marriage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The rule is found in Succession Act 1965 s. 85(1) (as amended):

A will shall be revoked by the subsequent marriage or entry into a civil partnership of the testator, except a will made in contemplation of that marriageor entry into a civil partnership, whether so expressed in the will or not.

So, the will only survives if its made in contemplation of a particular marriage, and it only survives that marriage. If I make a will in contemplation of marriage generally, it is revoked by any marriage that i enter into to (so there is no point in making such a will). If I make a will in contemplation of my marriage to A but unhappy differences arise, the marriage never takes place, and I end up marrying B on the rebound, the will is revoked by my marriage to B.

Advertisement