Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai detectives visiting me?

Options
  • 07-08-2019 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Today this afternoon, some two men in smart casual dressing knocked on my door. I thought it was a package for my mother but they told me they were gardai detectives. They knew my name and where I lived so I thought they must not be bluffing. Said I wasn't in trouble but they just wanted a contact.

My question is, are random welfare checks like these normal? I don't have a criminal record but I have been cautioned once and gotten in a bit on online exchanges (never threatening) with a hospital, and a few psychiatrists along with people on fb. I have a feeling that this triggered someone to call up and check on me.

The only way they could have known my address and name is if someone gave them. I've heard also maybe unlikely but this could be burglars staking out the new neighbourhood (neighbourhood houses have only been in existence less than a year in meath)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Today this afternoon, some two men in smart casual dressing knocked on my door. I thought it was a package for my mother but they told me they were gardai detectives. They knew my name and where I lived so I thought they must not be bluffing. Said I wasn't in trouble but they just wanted a contact.

My question is, are random welfare checks like these normal? I don't have a criminal record but I have been cautioned once and gotten in a bit on online exchanges (never threatening) with a hospital, and a few psychiatrists along with people on fb. I have a feeling that this triggered someone to call up and check on me.

The only way they could have known my address and name is if someone gave them. I've heard also maybe unlikely but this could be burglars staking out the new neighbourhood (neighbourhood houses have only been in existence less than a year in meath)

Did they present any Garda identification?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Did they present any Garda identification?

Yea just a badge...they asked who lives with me and I said parents then asked for my mobile number and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

What did the badge say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You posted this on reddit as well and said something about having reported homicidal thoughts, what was the story there? (Not judging you, but that would probably be where this stems from IMO)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed for mods' review

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement