Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Restrictions/guilty by association

Options
  • 06-08-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I do understand, that justice should be served in an open court, as in accordance without our constitution.

However, I would like to get peoples views on the following question(s).

What, if a family member is before the court on an indictable offence and it is having an extremely adverse affect on another families health and would have a huge impact on said health if the crime was reported in the media?

Also what if it was reported and it would have an affect on another persons financial security?(employment)

I do understand the accused or guilty remaining anonoymous should their be a victim involved, but are their other cases where reporting restrictions are put in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Let me get this right, you are saying that if a family member is affected by publicity of an individual (a relation) can the legals seek to stop the media publishing details of the case ?

My understanding is no, with a few exceptional circumstances (different to what was outlined)

Edit: having an effect on the job of someone not before the courts would be a matter for the labour courts or for that person to consult a solicitor.

If you are talking about sexual assault cases (if victim is known to accused there is protection unless the victim waives right to anonymity after conviction), there are other circumstances which can result in anonymity but if successful on first day in court, your legals may face a challenge to ensure the anonymity order remains, so if the reasons are not 100% legit, it can and may be challenged by the media.

The indo/herald recently challenged an anonymity order and were successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

reporters appear to ignore judges telling them to protect people's privacy, even when it's a witness.

Personally I think names should only be reported after a guilty verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I have queried this with a solicitor regarding a case a family member was a victim of and I was told they can report away about the case as it’s in the public’s interest to know. I would read things in the paper that I previously wasn’t aware of that had happened they hadn’t told us and they were so upset about it. It’s ****! After the trial a journalist approached me and asked me would the victim mind if the perpetrator was named in the paper.. although the victim wouldn’t be named. The victim (a minor) nearly lost their mind when they heard this. I asked the journalist to please bear in mind the effect they are having on the victim and family when they are reporting the details of the case. He didn’t give a **** and printed the details anyways but didn’t print the perpetrators name.

Advertisement