Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Very slow Steam download speed on Windows 10. Anybody else?

Options
  • 05-08-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

So I have a 30 Megabit Line (Virgin), and when a download starts on Steam, it's initially around 4 megabytes per second.

This then it quickly drops down to around 500 to 900 kilobytes/sec, and stays like that forever. It's currently at 420 kilobytes per second. It's going to take 7 hours to download a 10GB game. This should normally take about an hour at my regular speeds.

Things I've tried:

I have made sure steam is allowed through the firewall.

I have added the steam folder to the exceptions in Windows Defender.

I have changed download region, Tried London and New York. Every time I change download region, I watch it slowly drop from about 3 megabytes per second to 500 kilobytes / sec.

Yes I've made sure the download limiter is turned off.

Even thought it's downloading at a snail's pace, regular browsing the web is slow as **** while waiting for the download. It's as if something is being downloaded full speed, but it's not.

I've checked Task Manager - steam network utilization is at 3.7megabits/sec, and disk utilization is at 1%. (I have an SSD)

Anybody else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

So I have a 30 Megabit Line (Virgin), and when a download starts on Steam, it's initially around 4 megabytes per second.

This then it quickly drops down to around 500 to 900 kilobytes/sec, and stays like that forever. It's currently at 420 kilobytes per second. It's going to take 7 hours to download a 10GB game. This should normally take about an hour at my regular speeds.

Things I've tried:

I have made sure steam is allowed through the firewall.

I have added the steam folder to the exceptions in Windows Defender.

I have changed download region, Tried London and New York. Every time I change download region, I watch it slowly drop from about 3 megabytes per second to 500 kilobytes / sec.

Yes I've made sure the download limiter is turned off.

Even thought it's downloading at a snail's pace, regular browsing the web is slow as **** while waiting for the download. It's as if something is being downloaded full speed, but it's not.

I've checked Task Manager - steam network utilization is at 3.7megabits/sec, and disk utilization is at 1%. (I have an SSD)

Anybody else have this problem?

I have a 250mb connection
    And on steam my max download is 20mb on everything else like blizzard and Ubisoft I get well over 100mb.
    I'm convinced steam just limits download speeds

I've tried changing regions and I've bandwidth checked in settings all's good.

I'd be interested to know how many ppl have this issue.

It's like steam only gives a fraction of what your able to download

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Do you find you pc chugs a bit when you're downloading? I had a weird one where if I had the PC on for a while and started downloading something it would crawl and the pc started to chug a bit (cpu utilization used to jump to 100%). A reboot and it would download normally and then later, once the pc was on for a while the same thing would start happening.

ANyway, worth a shot like.... (a clean reinstall of windows sorted the issue for me in the end)

EDIT sorry, just read the comment that it's steam only... That's bizzare. Reinstall steam, change download harddrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

gigabit connection
    steam beta
    linux build
    ssd target directory

8Du1rL6.png

The speeds dropped to about 30MB/s for the last minute of the install and it took about twice as long as that "time remaining" estimate. So about 5ish minutes.
    Disk read/write speeds could affect the install, perhaps? Steam client treats download & install as one thing. I think the client does throttle you if you've been downloading a lot. I was messing around with different versions of a game and moving around to different drives. By the 3rd time I was downloading the game again (was about 30GB) the speeds were a fraction of what they were on the 1st install. Perhaps a coincidence but I'd say Valve's servers remain reliable by being able to ration things out like this.

I didn't turn on my VPN to see if location changes anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

30 mbps? This is a bit speculative, but are you on the old, crappy Cisco router that loves to overheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Might have missed it, but is it a wired or wireless connection?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Who wants steamy windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Happy4all wrote: »
    Who wants steamy windows?

Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

What game are you downloading? Sorry I see it's The Witcher
    Reason I ask is I'm going to download xplane 11 on steam soon.

I downloaded Titanfall 2 without too much hassle about 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Weren't Virgin still called UPC when they provided a 30Mbit product?
    Do we have a time traveller amongst us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Spear wrote: »
    30 mbps? This is a bit speculative, but are you on the old, crappy Cisco router that loves to overheat?

Brand new virgin router, white one that stands on it's side.

• Advertisement

Might have missed it, but is it a wired or wireless connection?

Wireless. But my speed test says 30 megabits/sec on wireless. And my package is 30 megabit. So no point in checking wired.

tuxy wrote: »
    Weren't Virgin still called UPC when they provided a 30Mbit product?
    Do we have a time traveller amongst us?

Yes we're on the "legacy" package.. too cheap to update. Was working OK until now.

Boards doesn't seem to have a multi-quote feature hence the posts-in-a-row.

Disk read/write speeds could affect the install, perhaps?

I have an SSD drive, definitely able to handle more than 500 kilbytes / sec.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Boards doesn't seem to have a multi-quote feature hence the posts-in-a-row.

Multiquote is the button to the right of quote (skin not withstanding).

What's the location set to in Steam as the source?

Advertisement