Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts on Mercedes E220 Coupe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Actually, while I'm here, can anyone recommend a good upgrade for the head unit? It's pretty basic, just a 6 CD player, but I'd love to have USB support. Is this something that can be done, or does it require a new Merc radio? Can USB be added after the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

Have you a connection in the centre console at all? Mine (2013)can take a USB key on the end of a cable, or SD card in the head unit.

Have you a connection in the centre console at all? Mine (2013)can take a USB key on the end of a cable, or SD card in the head unit.

Unfortunately not, seems to be the basic radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm not speaking about the head unit etc, but more to get an update on how the car is going for you now, as you have it for awhile. Did you manage to get all the niggle's ironed out? Are you happy with it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

Can't you Bluetooth or aux in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCHLrUtm6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF3T9WImaI

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
      I'm not speaking about the head unit etc, but more to get an update on how the car is going for you now, as you have it for awhile. Did you manage to get all the niggle's ironed out? Are you happy with it?:D

Oh I'm very happy with it. All seems good for now, but going to give it to my mechanic with a couple of weeks left on the warranty for a one over. But so far so good. Such a lovely car to drive! Not suited for the city though, getting 6.5l/100km on primary roads (no motorways) but averaging 11.2l/100km if stuck in traffic/city!

And the aux was found. I completely glassed over it when I saw it, thinking it was a Mercedes port for something, just didn't look like a normal aux port. So delighted now I don't have to listen to the same 6 CDs over and over!

Oh I'm very happy with it. All seems good for now, but going to give it to my mechanic with a couple of weeks left on the warranty for a one over. But so far so good. Such a lovely car to drive! Not suited for the city though, getting 6.5l/100km on primary roads (no motorways) but averaging 11.2l/100km if stuck in traffic/city!

And the aux was found. I completely glassed over it when I saw it, thinking it was a Mercedes port for something, just didn't look like a normal aux port. So delighted now I don't have to listen to the same 6 CDs over and over!

Right on all count's !!! At least you caught the faults while there is still a guarantee, because, generally they are a trouble-free car. Any one I know who has one, are very happy with them...this was one of the reasons I decided to take the plunge myself, and so far....delighted with it. As you point out, it's a pleasure to drive, but not so much in the city, even with the Automatic transmission. And given it's size, and the size of parking spaces generally, even with the proximity sensors, you need to be that bit extra carefull. Have you tried the Park-Assist function yet? I bought a TomTom Navigation unit and fitted it to mine....it fits right into the radio space ( can be put on the windscreen too, of course) and it work's fine. The sound system is very good too. I presume that mine will have the same AUX port that your's has.....must check it out. Considering the size and weight of the car..it's quite good on fuel consumption, overall. I'm happy with mine at any rate, So enjoy !!!:D:D:D

After reading your post re AUX port....I went looking for the one in mine...no sign of it, anywhere :cool: Can you describe where the one in your's is? ( pic would be even better, if you can manage it....Thanks.;)

After reading your post re AUX port....I went looking for the one in mine...no sign of it, anywhere :cool: Can you describe where the one in your's is? ( pic would be even better, if you can manage it....Thanks.;)

Here ya go. The white plastic around it threw me until one of the lads pointed it out. Works perfect, but as usual with aux the volume is about 50% lower, so be careful if you change from aux to the radio or something else. Deafened myself with it.

I don't have parking sensors, and I honestly don't mind. I don't want to rely on it. Mine's only 5cm longer than a 08 Avensis, and 2cm wider. But being extra selective with the parking regardless. Luckily, the new job is on the outskirts of the city with a private car park, and proper spacing.

Does yours stay hot long after parking? I've noticed mine could still be warm 2-3 hours later. Went to the cinema one night, 2.5 hours, heating was more or less instant after coming back out (just before midnight). Temp gauge went pretty quick up to the normal 80ish. And not on the bonnet, over the front driver's wheel, which is great to keep me arse warm when smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

The pre face-lift coupe is a stunner. Much nicer than the face-lift imo.

Saloon pre face-lift shows its age in some trims conversely

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
      The pre face-lift coupe is a stunner. Much nicer than the face-lift imo.

Saloon pre face-lift shows its age in some trims conversely

I've the pre, and I agree. Something mean about it. And trim is good in mine, still looks modern thanks to a black and silver theme. Bit plasticy, but good quality plastic in fairness. Still leagues ahead of the "regular" cars, like that horrible Note...

Here ya go. The white plastic around it threw me until one of the lads pointed it out. Works perfect, but as usual with aux the volume is about 50% lower, so be careful if you change from aux to the radio or something else. Deafened myself with it.

I don't have parking sensors, and I honestly don't mind. I don't want to rely on it. It's only 5cm longer than a 08 Avensis, and 2cm wider. But being extra selective with the parking regardless. Luckily, the new job is on the outskirts of the city with a private car park, and proper spacing.

Does yours stay hot long after parking? I've noticed mine could still be warm 2-3 hours later. Went to the cinema one night, 2.5 hours, heating was more or less instant after coming back out (just before midnight). Temp gauge went pretty quick up to the normal 80ish. And not on the bonnet, over the front driver's wheel, which is great to keep me arse warm when smoking!

I've the pre, and I agree. Something mean about it. And trim is good in mine, still looks modern thanks to a black and silver theme. Bit plasticy, but good quality plastic in fairness. Still leagues ahead of the "regular" cars, like that horrible Note...

I don't have parking sensors, and I honestly don't mind. I don't want to rely on it. It's only 5cm longer than a 08 Avensis, and 2cm wider. But being extra selective with the parking regardless. Luckily, the new job is on the outskirts of the city with a private car park, and proper spacing.

There is a small auxiliary heater in the car... a few mins ( very few) and it's up and running...great in winter mornings, when the cold delays the normal engine warm up. Worked fine in mine for the 1st year, then stopped. iCarsoft shows a fault in a relay in a unit..the problem is that to repair this unit, you practically have to dismantle the dash completely....so I will have to suffer on for a few mins longer in the cold.....but even at that its quick to heat up anyway. Thats very strange that your parking sensors are not working....I find them very handy. You should get them fixed under the guarantee . even if you never use them....takes a bit of getting used to the rear ones.....you see them in the rear view mirror. Thanks for the pic, but it's not opening fully,,,maybe the 1st inch or so. Now this could be down to bad internet here at the moment...none at all yesterday, and this morning very slow.....maybe it will improve as the day goes on. Just try persuading my Wife that is only a few centimeters bigger than an Avensis........:D:D:D As time goes on, you will discover many more little details about the car, which makes it memorable to drive....now I can understand why Mercedes Benz owners stick with them

This model ( the W212) was introduced in 2009, then upgraded in 2013, and again in 2016,,new version out now in 2019, so basically every 3 years seems to be the standard, Maybe that explain's why the 2009-2012 model does not have the center console AUX-USB etc connections?. As Potential Monke pointed out, the AUX in his and mine, is "hidden" in the glove compartment.. even using the manual you would be a long time looking for it, and the one in mine is diagonally opposite to the one in Potential Monkes car. His is on the same side as the 12v socket, mine is on the opposite side. I'm not too familiar with the entertainment system....basically change the CD's when I need to, and tune the Radio to pre set channels...and that's it. So basically, you need a jack input cable which connects to a USB stick / or card reader?

Glad you found yours, strange it's on the opposite side! I suppose it's because you have the W212 and I have the C207. No reverse sensors at all on mine. Doesn't have a lot of extra really, which I'm ok with for now. Don't want to spoil myself too early! But I do have the fancy seat belts that come to you.

Ah yes, that would explain it OK ( the AUX Port anyway ) The Coupe is a lovely looking car !!! would not mind having one myself at some stage. Completely different lay out inside seating wise, and looks really well,,,it's set up as a very comfortable 4 seater ( but can seat 5 too)
      We will see what the future brings for me. I will have it 2 years next January, and completely happy with it, but if I got a good deal with a Coupe, I would go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

it's set up as a very comfortable 4 seater ( but can seat 5 too)

Is there 3 seat belts in the back thought there was only 2?

covey123 wrote: »
      Is there 3 seat belts in the back thought there was only 2?

You could well be right covey,,,,,I went looking at one ( Coupe) and as it was only for a few minute's, I'm a little hazy about the details. But I do remember the configuration with the rear seat's ( very impressive, luxurious ) with the wide "table" between the seats, and assumed that it would fold away, to fit a 3rd passenger in the back. Maybe Monke can update us?

4 total! 2 in front, 2 in the back. Center console is all plastic and doesn't fold away. I'm ok with 4, more than 2 in the back would be cramped anyway with the shape of the car. Just as comfortable in the back I'm told!

4 total! 2 in front, 2 in the back. Center console is all plastic and doesn't fold away. I'm ok with 4, more than 2 in the back would be cramped anyway with the shape of the car. Just as comfortable in the back I'm told!

I'm sure that it is !!! As far as I know, its based on the "C" type chassis, which would be slightly smaller that the "E", so it's a little bit smaller. Nonetheless, it still has plenty of space in the back for two fairly big adults. ( you can let us know, as soon as you allow some one else to drive, and you will be back-seat driver........;);););)

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the dim/full headlights to LED? I know very little of this, so I don't know if it's just a bulb replacement or a kit I need, and if it's a kit if it's even available? I tried to Google, and prices were coming back at over €1k for a single headlamp!

Also, it's the small quality of life improvements that make this car. I'm in awe of the seat belts that come to you, due to it being so far behind the seat. Controlling the audio with the little dial button on the center console, all stalks being on the 1 side (granted, the wrong side, the left, but it's not a Jap car so expected), only 2 stalks total (1 for cruise, the second for lights and wipers), lights that automatically go on when it gets dark enough, auto-wipers, washer jets that actually spread the water instead of a single jet from each, the auto handbrake that doesn't actually engage but stops you from rolling back... All things I never previously had!

But, she does not like city driving at all. Getting about 20 mpg city driving, about 40 on primary/secondary roads, and a heft 48+ on motorways. She's also not designed for running as cheap as possible, which suits me fine. I'll pay the extra for the pure driving pleasure I'm getting!

As long as she lasts the 5 years for me! And I'm already looking at my next car, which will be another Mercedes Coupe, but one with a bigger engine (and still somehow cheaper tax).

• Advertisement

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the dim/full headlights to LED? I know very little of this, so I don't know if it's just a bulb replacement or a kit I need, and if it's a kit if it's even available? I tried to Google, and prices were coming back at over €1k for a single headlamp!
      The problem is that all modern cars have an electrical system called a "CANBUS", its a bit like a spiders web, or human nervous system...everything is interlinked and controlled by computers. So even a small job like replacing brake light bulb, the computer has "accept" the new bulb into the system, and that's replacing like with like. Replacing the existing lights with LED, would be a bit more involved, I imagine, but I'll check it out.

Also, it's the small quality of life improvements that make this car. I'm in awe of the seat belts that come to you, due to it being so far behind the seat. Controlling the audio with the little dial button on the center console, all stalks being on the 1 side (granted, the wrong side, the left, but it's not a Jap car so expected), only 2 stalks total (1 for cruise, the second for lights and wipers), lights that automatically go on when it gets dark enough, auto-wipers, washer jets that actually spread the water instead of a single jet from each, the auto handbrake that doesn't actually engage but stops you from rolling back... All things I never previously had!

Yes, but you quickly get very used to them...just give it a bit of time, and then try driving something else !! Only then will you truly appreciate the Merc. I like very much when you are travelling up/down hill and have to stop at the traffic lights...just tap the brake a 2nd time, and it goes into "HOLD"...tap the pedal again, and off you go,,,seamlessly. They really reduce the amount of input required from the driver. Have you tried the parking assist yet?

But, she does not like city driving at all. Getting about 20 mpg city driving, about 40 on primary/secondary roads, and a heft 48+ on motorways. She's also not designed for running as cheap as possible, which suits me fine. I'll pay the extra for the pure driving pleasure I'm getting!

Yes, it's designed for the wide open spaces.....120 Kph all day long on the speed limiter and its in its element. I'm getting 6/7 ltrs per 100 Klms, normally, but it can go up to 9 /10 ltrs per 100 Klms too, but then I use a trailer occasionally, so that's to be expected. I would not be putting up very high mileage at this point, so like you, I don't mind paying a little more...the pleasure of driving it more than makes up for the additional cost.

As long as she lasts the 5 years for me! And I'm already looking at my next car, which will be another Mercedes Coupe, but one with a bigger engine (and still somehow cheaper tax).

And why not? I'm sure that the car will be more than up to the challenge...keep the oil and filter's changed, and you should be OK. I'm not planning on changing mine anytime soon either, but in the event that I would have to.....a Coupe would definitely be on the list !! and it now has 222000 Klms on the clock. Biggest threat to your ( and my) plans is not the car..it's Leo

Might leave the headlights be so, sounds like too much work tbh!

I've encountered my first issue, and it's apparantly well known in the coupe/cabrio versions, the sills under the doors are collecting water. You can hear it sloshing back and forth as you move slowly. There's 4 screws in the jack points that have large black plastic screws, had to remove them and about 5 liters of water came out between both sides. This was 2 days ago. Pulled into work tonight and heard the water again. Must be a blockage somewhere...

Might leave the headlights be so, sounds like too much work tbh!

I've encountered my first issue, and it's apparantly well known in the coupe/cabrio versions, the sills under the doors are collecting water. You can hear it sloshing back and forth as you move slowly. There's 4 screws in the jack points that have large black plastic screws, had to remove them and about 5 liters of water came out between both sides. This was 2 days ago. Pulled into work tonight and heard the water again. Must be a blockage somewhere...

I don't have any particular info on this with MB, but water trapped in sill panels is nothing new. Best thing to do would be to get it on a lift, and examine the sill for possible ingress point's, and blocked drain holes. In some cars, directly under the windscreen you have a panel ( scuttle panel ) running the with of the car. Sometimes these panel's are slotted to allow air into the interior ( Air-Con etc) and water falling through the slots drops onto another panel ( box ) lower down which in turn drains via plastic piping down and out on to the road. ( some times these tubes block, and water levels build up until you get water coming into the actual car itself, but this is not your problem ) The front wheels especially, can act as a pump and spray water under the wheel arches, and this is a possible source of the water you are finding in you sill panel's. The lift is your best option.

I don't think it's a case of anything else wrong, just the sill drains being somewhat blocked. I can still see some lines of water as I reverse out of the drive, so it is coming out, but not as quick as it should. Definitely got it all out the other day, but it's filling up again and I didn't really drive since emptying it, maybe an hour most.

As you said, get it up on a lift and check for any blockages. Not a big problem, more annoying than anything. Wonder if the warranty covers that...

I don't think it's a case of anything else wrong, just the sill drains being somewhat blocked. I can still see some lines of water as I reverse out of the drive, so it is coming out, but not as quick as it should. Definitely got it all out the other day, but it's filling up again and I didn't really drive since emptying it, maybe an hour most.

As you said, get it up on a lift and check for any blockages. Not a big problem, more annoying than anything. Wonder if the warranty covers that...

I don't know how you are fixed with the Guarantee..you have it 3 mths already? ( if you had only a 3 mth guarnatee that is ) But give it a try anyway....not a big job..up on the lift, good torch, check the drains. I'm sur that with the volume you are talking about, will not take long to find the blockages.

Still have a few weeks left on the warranty, got it the middle of August or thereabouts. Should be something small I'd imagine, not too worried about it tbh.

Still have a few weeks left on the warranty, got it the middle of August or thereabouts. Should be something small I'd imagine, not too worried about it tbh.

Well, aside from the annoyance of it, water sloshing around in metal box panels is never a good thing, if there is any weakness in the sealant, it will find it, and down the road, will cause rust. The first you will know about is you will see little bubbles of rust appearing externally on the panels, but by then, the damage will have been done, and it's an expensive fix.Its nothing to worry about at the moment, I'm sure as its only recently that you have noticed it ? 15-30 mins on the lift will sort it out for you. ( unless you want to jack it up yourself on axle stands and have a look? ) No need to rush, but if I were you, I would not put it on the long finger either.

Oh I won't leave it go, working nights in a new job so once I have a few days off I'll jack her up and have a look, failing that I'll bring it to my mechanic or back to the garage that sold it. As you said, just annoying right now but I know water and metal don't like each other!

Oh I won't leave it go, working nights in a new job so once I have a few days off I'll jack her up and have a look, failing that I'll bring it to my mechanic or back to the garage that sold it. As you said, just annoying right now but I know water and metal don't like each other!

This might help you:-
      two black rubber grommets at the rear of the sills just behind the jacking point which he removed and clear water came gushing out. He explained that they have a small hole in the centre to let water out but they get blocked hence sill fills full of water. He said they are designed to let water through which surprised me, he recommended leaving the grommets out.
      Above excerpt is from a Mercedes Benz forum that I'm a member of.
      So now you will know where to look...

• Advertisement

Yurt, I remember seeing them the other day, I'll have a look during the day tomorrow. Thanks!

Advertisement