Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Bite Case - Proving Dog Ownership

Options
  • 24-07-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

In a civil dog bite case how do you go about proving who the dogs owner is (especially with GDPR restrictions now)

I know Local Authorities are in charge of control of dogs but is there any way to get access to the dog ownership/dog chipping records?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Do you have the dog or access to the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You need to contact the Dog Warden who will know these things

and see this

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/63/made/en/pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

I checked with dogwarden. They are constrained with GDPR as feared. You have to make a formal complaint to gardai and then the warden will check their records for guards. Im still not sure if you can get records at that stage. It might be necessary to make an application to the Court to get records from gardai/warden once you have shown that all other avenues have been exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

jonsnow wrote: »
    I checked with dogwarden. They are constrained with GDPR as feared. You have to make a formal complaint to gardai and then the warden will check their records for guards. Im still not sure if you can get records at that stage. It might be necessary to make an application to the Court to get records from gardai/warden once you have shown that all other avenues have been exhausted.

proving dog ownership is one reason dogs that get shot when attacking sheep don't get handed back

Advertisement